Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2019 Zwift racing stories! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1165262)

Radish_legs 01-29-19 01:03 PM

2019 Zwift racing stories!

LOL. We'll see.

rubiksoval 01-29-19 05:34 PM

My second workout of the day was a zwift race. Ha. The comments made the workout go by much faster.

TMonk 01-29-19 05:48 PM

I don't have a smart trainer yet but the writing is on the wall. Engaged to be married and we don't want to put too much time between a wedding and having kids. Plus I'm getting more ambivalent about being out on the road all the time anyway its just too dangerous out there.

I think a smart trainer will be my next big purchase in 2019 some time in Q3/Q4.

caloso 01-29-19 06:01 PM

I've only done one race. I logged in late and it teleported me into it where the group was going like 4.7 w/kg. Wasn't warmed up and after a few minutes I was dying, so I sat up. A couple of guys came up and we latched on. Then we kept catching other riders who got dropped. Pretty soon it was a decent group of 15-20 and we all worked together for the whole race. We never caught the lead group, but it was a good hard ride. Actually not too different than a real life race where you get dropped and then form a second group.

Voodoo76 01-29-19 06:37 PM

I rode the P-Race Saturday & did alright. Recovery from efforts is improving. Brain farted a critical selection. Had enough left to top 1000W at the finish. OK for a 60 something. They definitely go out fast.

furiousferret 01-29-19 08:45 PM

Last year when my mother in law died I couldn't leave my wife alone so I Zwifted most of the time. Consequently that was my best season (though some of that has to do with Asthma getting under control). When I first started I podiumed a race with over 200 people. Sadly, that trainer probably was reading too high and my current one matches my power meter.

There are just too many variables for a good ride outside. I've just had so many days ruined by flats or getting dropped, etc. Being as fast as the A guys but not have the jump of the A guys means I get dropped by them and bored in the B ride.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55cbf9407b.jpg
This is a fan remote. If you don't have one get one. (Also get a fan)

Radish_legs 01-29-19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 20770519)
Last year when my mother in law died I couldn't leave my wife alone so I Zwifted most of the time. Consequently that was my best season (though some of that has to do with Asthma getting under control). When I first started I podiumed a race with over 200 people. Sadly, that trainer probably was reading too high and my current one matches my power meter.

There are just too many variables for a good ride outside. I've just had so many days ruined by flats or getting dropped, etc. Being as fast as the A guys but not have the jump of the A guys means I get dropped by them and bored in the B ride.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55cbf9407b.jpg
This is a fan remote. If you don't have one get one. (Also get a fan)

I'm thinking of getting an alexa echo and one of those smart plugs for my fan. "Alexa turn on the fan."

Radish_legs 01-29-19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20770318)
I've only done one race. I logged in late and it teleported me into it where the group was going like 4.7 w/kg. Wasn't warmed up and after a few minutes I was dying, so I sat up. A couple of guys came up and we latched on. Then we kept catching other riders who got dropped. Pretty soon it was a decent group of 15-20 and we all worked together for the whole race. We never caught the lead group, but it was a good hard ride. Actually not too different than a real life race where you get dropped and then form a second group.

Oftentimes the beginning of a zwift race is the hardest part. That's where a selection is often made. Be prepared to start at >500w at the beginning. And if you are smart you have a powerup before the race starts that you can employ at the start.

carpediemracing 01-29-19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20770318)
Actually not too different than a real life race where you get dropped over and over again and finally form an eighth group.

Fixed that for me.

echappist 01-29-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 20770300)
I don't have a smart trainer yet but the writing is on the wall. Engaged to be married and we don't want to put too much time between a wedding and having kids. Plus I'm getting more ambivalent about being out on the road all the time anyway its just too dangerous out there.

I think a smart trainer will be my next big purchase in 2019 some time in Q3/Q4.

Thelonious, my man, congrats! Would you be playing Round Midnight or Nellie's Crepuscule at the wedding?

Jest aside, def get into the smart trainer game. I rarely ride outdoors these days, and the smart trainer has been a very decent substitute, for the most part.

Ttoc6 01-30-19 05:55 AM

Definitely get a smart plug or remote or something. I've got my two fansbona power strip in a smart plug. Being able to tell at Alexa to turn on my bbn fans is 1 entertaining and 2 very useful

TMonk 01-30-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 20770653)
Thelonious, my man, congrats! Would you be playing Round Midnight or Nellie's Crepuscule at the wedding?

Jest aside, def get into the smart trainer game. I rarely ride outdoors these days, and the smart trainer has been a very decent substitute, for the most part.

Ha, thanks Chappy. Funny that you joke, but I'm seriously considering playing the cocktail hour of my own wedding with some of my musician friends :). Oh, and most definitely Round Midnight, or Ruby My Dear. My tenorman has rich tone and he knocks Ruby out of the park every time. Round midnight is my (and my mother's) favorite, however.

Ygduf 01-30-19 12:39 PM

I just got a for-zwifting desk. rinky-dink music stand isn't cutting it anymore given the projected endless rains.

furiousferret 01-30-19 12:43 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After too much research, this is what we ordered for a table.

Radish_legs 01-30-19 12:45 PM

Apparently the KISS racing series tonight with pros. It's happening. The move away from real racing to e-sports racing. There's something about zwift that feels much more accessible than watching a "real" race on TV. For example on zwift I can actually see what power people are putting out. I wish I could see that in TdF footage, real-time. Also, I can ride with Cavendish in Zwift,, but I can't do that in real life. (he dropped the thousands of riders, all of the, and just rode away, funny. And dumb.).

Ygduf 01-30-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 20771322)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After too much research, this is what we ordered for a table.

reminds me too much of a hospital!

rubiksoval 01-30-19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs (Post 20771328)
Apparently the KISS racing series tonight with pros. It's happening. The move away from real racing to e-sports racing. There's something about zwift that feels much more accessible than watching a "real" race on TV. For example on zwift I can actually see what power people are putting out. I wish I could see that in TdF footage, real-time. Also, I can ride with Cavendish in Zwift,, but I can't do that in real life. (he dropped the thousands of riders, all of the, and just rode away, funny. And dumb.).

I don't see how that's a move away from real racing. After all, if they're not doing real racing, they're not pros.

Anyway, Starykowiz, the "uber-biker" pro triathlete guy, was in my race on Tuesday. Probably his eighth training session of the day. Nothing special.

Radish_legs 01-30-19 03:53 PM

why don't we have a 33- zwift team? That might be fun.

rubiksoval 01-30-19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs (Post 20771665)
why don't we have a 33- zwift team? That might be fun.

Ha! Maybe so. I'd lead you out Radish. You race As? Guess it doesn't matter when races start together.

Radish_legs 01-30-19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 20771667)
Ha! Maybe so. I'd lead you out Radish. You race As? Guess it doesn't matter when races start together.

I race Bs. I'm too heavy to race As, LOL. Seems like every A rider is under 150lb. But anyway, I can do 280w for 55min in a race, but I can't really do 320w for 55min.

echappist 01-30-19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 20771309)
Ha, thanks Chappy. Funny that you joke, but I'm seriously considering playing the cocktail hour of my own wedding with some of my musician friends :). Oh, and most definitely Round Midnight, or Ruby My Dear. My tenorman has rich tone and he knocks Ruby out of the park every time. Round midnight is my (and my mother's) favorite, however.

Very nice! I wish i were a tenth as talented as you, and if i were, i'd definitely play at my own reception ;)

I liked Round Midnight so much that it was my ring tone for quite a few years (too lazy to change it when i got a new phone)

rubiksoval 01-30-19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs (Post 20771765)
I race Bs. I'm too heavy to race As, LOL. Seems like every A rider is under 150lb. But anyway, I can do 280w for 55min in a race, but I can't really do 320w for 55min.

Yeah. Gotcha. I had to do 306 for 40 mins yesterday in the A race. I'm 163ish.

Multiple times I've done less than 305 in a break that laps the field in a p/1/2 race. But only good enough for a 10th place out of a break of 25 in the super pelotons of Zwift. :D

Voodoo76 01-31-19 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Radish_legs (Post 20771328)

Another data rabbit hole is the Zwift Power site. I've found the "Power Curve" in results interesting. Go to the far right in results there is a pie chart icon. Select it for yourself and anyone else in a race (I think a 5 rider limit) and you generate a PD curve overlay for the event.

Cypress 01-31-19 11:45 AM

I have yet to officially enter a race on Zwift. I've ridden with a few race groups for giggles, but got soured on the idea when nearly everyone in the group "magically" weighed 130 pounds. A local guy races A's on Zwift and has his height and weight set at 5'11" and 150 pounds even though he's 6'2" and hovering at 180 on a good day. It's entertaining to see him get dropped on fast group rides, but "podiuming" A races on Zwift.

Ttoc6 01-31-19 09:02 PM

Raced tonight in an A cat race. Casey Schumm and Scottie Weiss were signed up unbeknownst to me. Got dropped up the the KOM climb, and then my trainer misbehaved so I kinda just took it as an opportunity for sweet spot and some hard efforts up hills and in sprints.