Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Airbnb Experiences, a potential revenue stream for your LBS? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177634)

jade408 07-06-19 11:14 PM

Airbnb Experiences, a potential revenue stream for your LBS?

A couple of years ago, Airbnb launched "experiences," where you host a special outing in your city. In recent months, they have been promoting this as a good thing for locals to do at home as well.

Today I went to a local teashop, and one of the workers was really busy - he was running an experience. The experience was basically a special tea tasting. They regularly host tea tastings, but this was a bit more one on one than a usual one. I am not sure if they charged the regular price or more - it was too busy for me to ask. ;)

So imagine your LBS hosted and "experience." Of course this wouldn't work every where but it could work in a lot of places. Imagine an enthusiastic employee leads a tour on the MUP, complete with a bike rental with accessories. Maybe the experience adds a picnic, or a stop at a brewery/coffee shop/ice cream place or whatever. Or maybe a couple of businesses on Main Street collabo and have a few targeted stops so someone can experience the neighborhood.

It would be something relatively inexpensive to try. To get started, you'd basically need to plan the experience and make a nice little web page for it.

The buzzword right now for millennials and "affluent" people is that no one wants stuff, they want experiences. The growing sports (corn hole and axe throwing) and fitness studio trend really epitomize that right now...and the LBS is missing out. Maybe they can jump on it too. Create an experience that shows off a bike and some accessories. Or just a new service to get people in the door.

ChinookTx 07-07-19 06:54 AM

How does liability work in such a case? Someone falls down during their "experience" and crack their skull while cycling down the MUP? Is it the LBS's fault? Not trolling, just curious.

Lemond1985 07-07-19 07:05 AM

Is it the LBS's fault?
Did someone from the LBS toss a broom stick in their spokes? If so, then I guess it would be.

If not, then I doubt it, especially if they have the riders sign a disclaimer saying LBS is not liable for any random road accidents that may occur that are not caused by the LBS. At least that's how it would work in the US.

Retro Grouch 07-07-19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21014860)
Did someone from the LBS toss a broom stick in their spokes? If so, then I guess it would be.

If not, then I doubt it, especially if they have the riders sign a disclaimer saying LBS is not liable for any random road accidents that may occur that are not caused by the LBS. At least that's how it would work in the US.

I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the internet.

Kedosto 07-07-19 08:00 AM

The “experience” idea is creative and interesting but the example you’ve cited wouldn’t be possible for most LBSs.

Offering rental bikes and accessories opens up a whole other set of business considerations. Of course it could be a BYOB situation, but then that’s pretty much an experience the bike owners already know; it’s basically a “come join us for a group ride” which every shop is already doing (at least in my neighborhood).

How about tea at the bike shop? Cyclists learn/enjoy tea and tea drinkers learn about cycling (ebikes, commuting, repairs, etc)

-Kedosto

ChinookTx 07-07-19 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21014896)
I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the internet.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f581a2fb85.png

Kedosto 07-07-19 08:25 AM

So I mentioned your post to my wife as I made my way to the shower. She, a former active Wombat, did her best to resist the urge to smack me up side my head.

-Kedosto
*lucky man*

teejaywhy 07-07-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 21014860)

You seem unfamiliar with the American tort system.

fietsbob 07-07-19 01:21 PM

a girl stepped on the foot of an employee's sleeping dog , in the bike shop,

she got a tiny wound under her chin from the dog jumping up in reaction to having the foot stepped on.

so they lawyer-ed up, ... no money down ... contingency fee 40 % .. typically..

and Businesses insurance company came up with $50K in the settlement, probably out of court negotiations ..