Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   titanium and carbon bicycle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=645970)

sicycle 05-17-10 08:20 AM

titanium and carbon bicycle

I am looking into custom bicycle in New York. Possible choices are Independent Fab or Serotta. What are the advantages or disadvantages to the carbon / titanium mix bikes. In particular the XS or Ottrott. Just confused maybe I should get the Parlee Z1 or Corvid and stay with carbon**********

merlinextraligh 05-17-10 09:57 AM

Personally, I think there is little advantage to mixing Cf into a Ti frame.

One, you're taking away one of the advantages of the Ti frame by reducing its durability. CF is a bit more subject to damage than Ti, particularly abrasion, and crash damage. It's not like the CF is going to spontaneously fail, but odds are in the long term it will not as durable as an all Ti frame.

Two, it creates another bonding issue from the CF to Ti that can fail. Again not a big issue, but an uneeded complexity.

IMHO, the whole idea was more about marketing. It came along when Ti builders were trying to compete against CF. I doubt there is any ride characteristic that you can get with CF stays that you can't get with all Ti.

Jed19 05-17-10 03:05 PM

I agree with merlinextraligh on one issue. And that is the fact that I think the Ti-Carbon joint potentially introduces a likely "stress point" that can be a result of bonding issue(s). I have met two cyclists with Al-Carbon bikes who told me about "creaks", after they've owned their bikes for a while.

evenslower 05-17-10 07:25 PM

I still manage to put a couple thousand miles a year on 2004 a carbon/steel LeMond and can say I have no concerns with the joints whatsoever and its one of the best riding road bikes I've ever ridden. That said, it would likely still be that way if it were all steel, or all Ti for that matter. I would tend to agree that marketing or the "our bikes have carbon too" syndrome led to the proliferation of bikes with at least carbon seat stays. Next frame will likely but all Ti custom.

merlinextraligh 05-17-10 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by evenslower (Post 10826348)
I still manage to put a couple thousand miles a year on 2004 a carbon/steel LeMond and can say I have no concerns with the joints whatsoever and its one of the best riding road bikes I've ever ridden. That said, it would likely still be that way if it were all steel, or all Ti for that matter. I would tend to agree that marketing or the "our bikes have carbon too" syndrome led to the proliferation of bikes with at least carbon seat stays. Next frame will likely but all Ti custom.

Please note I'm not saying these are bad bikes. I think an Ottrott and your Lemond are both fine bikes. I'm just saying that the "advancement" of adding CF stays to a metal frame seems to be more marketing oriented than a true improvement.

datlas 05-17-10 07:38 PM

I agree with Merlin. Get CF or Ti, not both.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.

FWIW my current bike is custom Ti, and I am very pleased...but I can't afford usa-made so instead opted for Habanero.

Carbon Unit 05-17-10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 10826428)
I agree with Merlin. Get CF or Ti, not both.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.

FWIW my current bike is custom Ti, and I am very pleased...but I can't afford usa-made so instead opted for Habanero.

How do you like your Habanero? My next bike will be Ti and Habanero seems like a good deal.

datlas 05-17-10 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Unit (Post 10826472)
How do you like your Habanero? My next bike will be Ti and Habanero seems like a good deal.

I really like my Habanero. If I could get fitted on a stock frame, I would have probably just purchased a "major" brand CF or Ti bike, but I have unusual body geometry and need custom. I looked into several different framebuilders but cost was an issue...

The Habanero has worked out very well so far...so I encourage you to put it on your short list. PM me for more details if you want more feedback/suggestions.

Carbon Unit 05-17-10 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 10826524)
I really like my Habanero. If I could get fitted on a stock frame, I would have probably just purchased a "major" brand CF or Ti bike, but I have unusual body geometry and need custom. I looked into several different framebuilders but cost was an issue...

The Habanero has worked out very well so far...so I encourage you to put it on your short list. PM me for more details if you want more feedback/suggestions.

Thanks, I will send you a PM when I get closer to buying. If it wasn't for the economy, I would be stocking up on bike parts now. I have also considered Kish Bikes for a Ti manufacturer but Kish does cost more than Habanero.

Fox Farm 05-17-10 10:25 PM

Write to Serotta and ask them about their CF Ti bikes, the durability, ride characteristics. I own a Ti Merlin and a CF Orbea. Both are excellent bikes with very different ride personalities which is why I keep them both. My sister rides a Serotta Ti CF bike and it's a great bike. Much too small for me to ride and have any feedback on how it feels.