Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Disc brake pad replacement. Metal/Resin? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1118296)

vintagerando 08-12-17 07:22 AM

Disc brake pad replacement. Metal/Resin?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Giant Defy Advanced 0 with Shimano hydraulic RS785 brakes. This is my first disc bike. I have put in a ton of miles in the past few months so I decided the to replace the pads. I bought what I thought was the correct pads, see photo. They are "metal" Shimano JO4C. Well, when I took out the old pads they are marked JO2a Resin. The rotors are not marked "resin only". The rotors have no markings except size, 140mm. So, should I replace with resin only pads? Or can some rotors take either metal or resin? I would imagine you don't want to put metal pads on a "resin only" rotor, but since there is no marking on the rotor, is it possible to put metal pads these rotors. Please advise.

cobba 08-12-17 07:46 AM

If the rotor doesn't have 'resin pads only' stamped on it, the rotor can use either pad type.

The 'resin pads only' rotors will wear much quicker with metal pads.

fietsbob 08-12-17 07:55 AM

I used Resin/organic pads from Kool Stop in my BB7, better than stock ..

use: transportation, all weather, modest speed ..

HillRider 08-12-17 08:05 AM

As a general rule, metallic pads last longer but tend to be noisy. Resin pads wear out faster but are quieter.

vintagerando 08-12-17 08:17 AM

thanks to all who responded

HerrKaLeun 08-12-17 12:45 PM

Regardless of if the rotor is rated for metal or not, you still move some of the wear from the pads to the rotor.

Use resin pads and replace those more often, or use metal pads and replace those less often, but replace the rotor more often.

Edit: what really would help install larger rotors. 140 mm is very small. Minimum 160 mm or even 180 mm. Better cooling (temperature fatigues everything, more dangerous than friction itself) and more braking power. At least on the front you should consider that.

Canker 08-12-17 04:47 PM

Just make sure the fork is rated to handle the larger rotor.

vintagerando 08-12-17 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 19787450)
Regardless of if the rotor is rated for metal or not, you still move some of the wear from the pads to the rotor.

Use resin pads and replace those more often, or use metal pads and replace those less often, but replace the rotor more often.

Edit: what really would help install larger rotors. 140 mm is very small. Minimum 160 mm or even 180 mm. Better cooling (temperature fatigues everything, more dangerous than friction itself) and more braking power. At least on the front you should consider that.

I am thinking about going to 160mm rotors. I am bit on the heavier side at 200lbs. Who makes the best rotors? Who makes a middle of the road rotor?

HerrKaLeun 08-12-17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by vintagerando (Post 19788165)
I am thinking about going to 160mm rotors. I am bit on the heavier side at 200lbs. Who makes the best rotors? Who makes a middle of the road rotor?

Since you have shimano brakes, use the rotor in that groupset. Can't go wrong with that. You may need an adapter from your fork holes to use the larger rotor (I'm not 100% sure on that, though.... but often going larger requires that... someone smarter than me can advise on that)

TimothyH 08-12-17 08:48 PM

RS785 calipers will accept the following pads:

G02A - resin, without fins
G03S - metal, without fins
J04A - resin, with fins
J02C - metal, with fins

The front adapter for 160 mm rotors is SM-MA-F160P/D. The rear adapter for 160 mm rotors is SM-MA-R160P/D.

Reference http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-RS785-3743D.pdf. This document has all the part numbers.

Shimano Ice Tech are great rotors, especially if your hubs accept centerlock rotors.

-Tim-

matt92037 08-18-17 08:52 AM

Go to 160mm rotors for sure, especially if you are 200lbs.

For pads I prefer semi metallic because they last much longer in my opinion. Resin pads are a little quieter and have slightly better feel at the lever to me but wear faster. Also, riding resin pads in wet, dirty conditions will wear them out REALLY fast.

MBurke 08-18-17 09:09 AM

I have Hydraulic Shimano Disc brakes on my Cannondale Synapse
I run the metal pads on the rear ( stock ones so far) and I replaced the front pads with
Swiss Stop Organic pads...the stock ones were makeing some noise. I like the organic pads....a lot quieter and on the front I think I will get some good wear out of them them.