Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New chain for old bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176617)

JeffHings 06-25-19 02:16 PM

New chain for old bike

I have a 1978 Schwinn Traveller III 10 speed and I am looking for a good - inexpensive replacement chain. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Bill Kapaun 06-25-19 02:19 PM

Any generic 5-8 speed chain will work.

Iride01 06-25-19 02:26 PM

Don't let the 5-8 speed thing throw you. It's referring to the number of gears on the back freewheel or cassette. If you don't ride your bike a hundred miles a week, then virtually any brand you find should be a "good" chain.

I'd go with a Bell chain from Walmart or Academy Sports. Many here will lambast me for that, but as I said if you aren't putting that many miles a week on the bike, why spend more. Although a really good brand isn't that expensive either.

Oh, make sure you size the chain to your old one. Replacement chains are typically too long and have to have a few links removed.

fietsbob 06-26-19 08:56 AM

BITD 10 speed is 5 by 2 anyb3/32" wide chain will do But by noe you also need a new freewheel

5 speed freewheels are still made

have any bike shops around.. you have to remove the old, to fit the replacements..

that takes special tools,.... 'freewheel removers' are many . bike shop has an assortment..

JeffHings 06-26-19 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 20996780)
Don't let the 5-8 speed thing throw you. It's referring to the number of gears on the back freewheel or cassette. If you don't ride your bike a hundred miles a week, then virtually any brand you find should be a "good" chain.

I'd go with a Bell chain from Walmart or Academy Sports. Many here will lambast me for that, but as I said if you aren't putting that many miles a week on the bike, why spend more. Although a really good brand isn't that expensive either.

Oh, make sure you size the chain to your old one. Replacement chains are typically too long and have to have a few links removed.

Great info - thank you.

So found a Bell Links 500 for $7.30 and a KMC Z8.1 for $7.07. Any preference...$. I also found a SRAM PC 830 for just a bit more at $9.95...

Iride01 06-26-19 09:25 AM

For me it'd be which one can I get the quickest. As you've found, none are budget busters. KMC is one of the most popular mfr's for chains.

alcjphil 06-26-19 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by JeffHings (Post 20997888)
Great info - thank you.

So found a Bell Links 500 for $7.30 and a KMC Z8.1 for $7.07. Any preference...$. I also found a SRAM PC 830 for just a bit more at $9.95...

Any of those chains should be fine. However, if your old chain was badly worn you may discover that your freewheel may also have to be changed. If you discover that your chain slips under pedalling load on one or more of your rear cogs you will also need a new freewheel

Phil_gretz 06-26-19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JeffHings (Post 20997888)
Great info - thank you.

SRAM. Never Bell. Let the lambasting begin...

JeffHings 06-26-19 11:37 AM

Thank you for all of your help. I'll have to see if cogs are worn...