Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Beach Cruisers (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=328)
-   -   Electra C1 , new wheels ! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185532)

OldCruiser 10-11-19 10:40 AM

Electra C1 , new wheels !

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c845a00e3.jpeg
Got my custom wheels a couple of days ago. Finally got them installed this morning.
the gear is two small , I’ve ordered a 22 tooth to go on it . The one that came on it was faster , but made my knees hurt climbing hills .

OldCruiser 10-11-19 03:01 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bbacc358a.jpeg
The other side .

JehD 10-11-19 10:51 PM

Looks nice. How do the brakes work on the painted rims?

OldCruiser 10-12-19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by JehD (Post 21160514)
Looks nice. How do the brakes work on the painted rims?

The rims are anodized. The brake works better than on the old rim .

FiftySix 10-12-19 06:42 AM

That red goes nicely with the black. :thumb:

OldCruiser 10-18-19 11:45 AM

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse sent me a coupon code I couldn’t resist, so I ordered another set of custom wheels .
This set in silver will have a Sturmey Archer two speed kickback hub and will probably go on my a Matte Bark C1 .
I hope I like the two speed hub . I read some good reviews on them .
I did want to fool with a three speed with cables and shifter .

FiftySix 10-18-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21169503)
Bicycle Wheel Warehouse sent me a coupon code I couldn’t resist, so I ordered another set of custom wheels .
This set in silver will have a Sturmey Archer two speed kickback hub and will probably go on my a Matte Bark C1 .
I hope I like the two speed hub . I read some good reviews on them .
I did want to fool with a three speed with cables and shifter .

I want to hear feedback on that two speed. Is it with or without coaster brake?

I have a brand spanking new SRAM Automatix 2-speed I bought a couple months ago that someday I'll be lacing into a wheel for my Schwinn single speed.

If I can just get all these other chores behind me, I'll be going down the path of learning to build a wheel. :)

OldCruiser 10-18-19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21169820)

I have a brand spanking new SRAM Automatix 2-speed I bought a couple months ago that someday I'll be lacing into a wheel for my Schwinn single speed.

If I can just get all these other chores behind me, I'll be going down the path of learning to build a wheel. :)

It has a coaster brake . For what I paid for the wheelset , and what they’re asking for the hub on Amazon , it’s like I’m getting the wheels for around $25 .
I’m hoping the low gear is lower than the single speed that came on my Electra 1 . I want to be able to spin out around 5-7mph in low . That’ll help me on the hills around here that have been messing up my knees lately.
I’ll be watching for a review of that Automatix 2-speed .

FiftySix 10-18-19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21169838)
It has a coaster brake . For what I paid for the wheelset , and what they’re asking for the hub on Amazon , it’s like I’m getting the wheels for around $25 .
I’m hoping the low gear is lower than the single speed that came on my Electra 1 . I want to be able to spin out around 5-7mph in low . That’ll help me on the hills around here that have been messing up my knees lately.
I’ll be watching for a review of that Automatix 2-speed .

It might be a while, but I need to get it done.

I do like riding my red Schwinn as a single speed, but there are so many stop signs around here. I always have to stand on the pedals to get moving quickly if traffic is near.

Right now, the Schwinn is set for 66 gear inches. The Automatix hub (with a 21 tooth rear sprocket) ought to get me 50 gear inches in low and 68 gear inches in high. Should be a very useful stop sign hub. :)

OldCruiser 10-18-19 03:44 PM

This is what the Sturmey Archer Kickback gear ratios are
Gear Ratio
• Overall Range - 138%
• Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
• Gear 2 - 138% (Gear 1 + 38%)
I’ve read it comes with a 22 tooth cog . My Electra has a 44 tooth chain ring and the rear cog is 22 tooth now . So it looks like no change in low gear , but an increase in speed in second if my understanding is correct .
Might consider changing the chainring out for a 38 or a 40 tooth .

FiftySix 10-18-19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21169876)
This is what the Sturmey Archer Kickback gear ratios are
Gear Ratio
• Overall Range - 138%
• Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
• Gear 2 - 138% (Gear 1 + 38%)
I’ve read it comes with a 22 tooth cog . My Electra has a 44 tooth chain ring and the rear cog is 22 tooth now . So it looks like no change in low gear , but an increase in speed in second if my understanding is correct .
Might consider changing the chainring out for a 38 or a 40 tooth .

Similar to the Sram Automatix. 1.00 low and 1.36 high.

My Sram did not come with a coaster brake, looks like they quit making that version a while back. Kind of annoying as I'll lose a rear brake unless I buy a caliper, cable, and lever. Turning an inexpensive bike into something more expensive is something I'm prone to do. :D

OldCruiser 10-18-19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21169879)
Similar to the Sram Automatix. 1.00 low and 1.36 high.

My Sram did not come with a coaster brake, looks like they quit making that version a while back. Kind of annoying as I'll lose a rear brake unless I buy a caliper, cable, and lever. Turning an inexpensive bike into something more expensive is something I'm prone to do. :D

I’ve added a front caliper brake to my cruisers and use it mostly . I only use both brakes in an emergency stop . Extends the life of a coaster brake , especially with my weight .
Putting money into something you enjoy is money well spent IMO .

I have a Fuji MTB frame that’s a little on the tall side for me , but I can ride it with the saddle resting on the frame ; that will probably get built into a cruiser , using leftover wheelsets .
I also have an old Schwinn MTB frame waiting to be built . :)

FiftySix 10-18-19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21169895)
I’ve added a front caliper brake to my cruisers and use it mostly . I only use both brakes in an emergency stop . Extends the life of a coaster brake , especially with my weight .

For whatever reason, I either grab the front brake or hit the coaster brake, but hardly use both at the same time. I do like the idea of using the coaster brake while riding no handed so that I can wave to the throngs of my adoring fans. :innocent:

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21169895)
Putting money into something you enjoy is money well spent IMO .

Usually true for me, until my wife calls me on it. :D

OldCruiser 10-18-19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fiftysix (Post 21169909)
for whatever reason, i either grab the front brake or hit the coaster brake, but hardly use both at the same time. I do like the idea of using the coaster brake while riding no handed so that i can wave to the throngs of my adoring fans. :innocent:

Usually true for me, until my wife calls me on it. :d

lol :)

OldCruiser 10-22-19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21169820)

You’ve probably read my post in “which frame “ and now know my hubs weren’t what I expected. I’ll still let you know my opinion as I learn to shift the K T two s hubs .

OldCruiser 10-23-19 03:20 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44df19e33.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...89f94fb52.jpeg
Update on my new wheels and my Electra C1’s .
Technically, my black one would have to be a C2 . Because it now has a two speed kickback hub and new Black anodized aluminum rims .
I’ve had some ideas in my head , wanting to do some changes to both my Electra Cruiser and decided now would be a good time to do them .
I set them up like I setup a MTB for cruising. Small riser handlebars ,MTB saddles . And I shifted my saddles forward , putting my body closer to being over the pedals , hoping this would help eliminate the knee pain I’ve been getting when I ride a pedal forward bike and switch back and forth between my cruisers and mtb’s . I rode seven miles total between the cruisers today and the knees do feel better .
I like the new Cruiser/MTB look too .
The black one got the black rims and 2 speed hub , the matte bark one got the red rims with the Shimano SS coaster brake and I changed out the cog for a 22 tooth , which makes it awesome riding again . The 18 tooth was a little too rough on hills .
I also went back to Kenda 1.9 street tires that are so much lighter than the Maxxis Hookworms and they coast unbelievable .

OldCruiser 10-25-19 02:58 PM

I got my new chainrings today a 38 and a 40 tooth chrome.
Thinking putting the 40 tooth on the black C1 with the two speed hub , and the 38 on the Matte Bark with the SS hub .

OldCruiser 10-27-19 03:23 PM

The last few days I’ve had a chance to ride my C1’s after their wheel and tire changes .
For some reason they feel small to me after riding my Roll and Rockhopper . I think the 1.9 Kenda tires have a lot to do with it too . I miss my Hookworms.
one day this week I’ll be putting them back on .
I also have some new chainrings to install . I think the 38 tooth will be going on the single speed . Depending on how it peddles , I’ll either put the 40 on the two speed or ordered another 38 or something ? I’m looking for something that will spin out around 8-9mph .
the single speed , with its 44 chainring and 22 tooth cog spins out around 12-13mph . I want a hill climber , I’ll speed on the downhill side :) .

CodyDog 10-27-19 05:36 PM

Sweet!