Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1049647)

ColonelSanders 02-19-16 01:13 PM

Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?

I'm wondering if the question in my thread title has ever been asked before here?

Obviously some people will have brand loyalty, that seems to happen with many types of products, but is there a brand that's name seems so "uncool" to you that you can't ever imagine yourself buying one of their products?

I'm also not referring to instances where you had a bad experience with a brand and are now effectively boycotting the company.

For me, the first company that comes to mind is Norco, but that is because there is a large dairy company that sells cheese and other products, so in addition to that just naturally diminishing my desire to ride a Norco branded bike, I really would not be happy about being asked if my bike was connected to the make of dairy products.

Over to you(and please state your reasons). :p

Hypno Toad 02-19-16 01:30 PM

Any brand you get at Target/Walmart/big-box store. Poor quality, poor assembly, heavy tanks. I giggle to pick up the fatbikes at Target; my Pugsley is HEAVY, but it's a feather compared to the Target fatbikes.

I understand why some people ride big-box bikes (they are cheap), but cheap is as cheap does. ... or something like that.

Maelochs 02-19-16 02:02 PM

I won't ride Huffy because I snapped the crank on a Huffy when trying to sprint across a busy intersection during rush hour---despite Johnny Mullet being such a big Huffy fan, I just won't do it. But ... if someone gave me a well-build Huffy frame that didn't have stamped dropouts and didn't weigh a ton ... I might build it up and ride it just for the humor.

As far as "uncool" .... I am so uncool that I am surprised manufacturers don't pay me to buy other brands. As I see it, "cool" is 100 percent dependent on the opinions of others, and if those others cannot see how inherently, preternaturally cool I am and always will be ... then They are uncool and thus their opinions don't matter.

As far as the opinion of people who don't know anything about bikes .... if a company named "Cervelo toilet paper and facial tissues" starts selling its wares in local supermarkets, I will gladly take everyone's R5s off their hands to save them from the potential shame of uninformed confusion.

Shoot, I'd tell the inquirer, "Yes, I am so fast I was selected for the Norco International Racing Team. Watch us at the Tour de France this year." They likely won't know, and won't watch, so you could pull it off. Maybe offer an autograph.

bikecrate 02-19-16 02:36 PM

I never liked Giant because they tended to plaster every inch of their bikes with "GIANT" in massive fonts, which I thought was kind of uncool. I went ahead and bought one anyways...go figure.

travbikeman 02-19-16 02:41 PM

Not a big fan of WalMart bikes. Especially with as much riding as I do. But will agree with bikecrate that I wish Giant and other manufacturers like Diamondback would not plaster their names all over every inch of the bike frame and fork.

indyfabz 02-19-16 02:43 PM

Trek. And S-Works. And Cannondale.

indyfabz 02-19-16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 18549752)
I never liked Giant because they tended to plaster every inch of their bikes with "GIANT" in massive fonts, which I thought was kind of uncool. I went ahead and bought one anyways...go figure.

You can be deprogrammed. ;)

coggy 02-19-16 02:45 PM

For any bike, if there's a person who likes to ride it, it's cool. Bikes are cool.

dksix 02-19-16 02:55 PM

To agree with an earlier post, Giant. I have been in a shop that sales Giant and Specialized to have my bike tuned and I literally walked to where the Specialized stopped and Giant started and turned around, I wasn't even interested in looking at them to pass time.

Velocivixen 02-19-16 03:04 PM

Free Spirit, Magna, Motiv, Murray, Huffy because I think department store or big box with cheap heavy BSO's.

dim 02-19-16 03:27 PM

all bikes are cool ....

what's uncool is the gear that some riders wear (such as jerseys with some pro cyclists name, etc) :roflmao2:

Drew Eckhardt 02-19-16 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 18549505)
Obviously some people will have brand loyalty, that seems to happen with many types of products, but is there a brand that's name seems so "uncool" to you that you can't ever imagine yourself buying one of their products?

Everything you can buy at a bike shop that's sold as a complete bike, because it won't suit my tastes that become more esoteric with mileage and age. Everything else commonly sold at bike shops, because brands popular enough to get their frames distributed through them (like Moots which would make me something very nice) bill you for the cachet that popularity brought them.

My next frame (maybe when my kids get through their odyssey years) will also be titanium, without a steeply sloping top tube so I have room for a 25oz water bottle and full-size frame pump, with travel couplers, sporty but with ~42cm chain stays to clear panniers for commuting, with rack eyelets, with fender eyelets because I've learned I don't melt in rain, and with a pump peg. The matching carbon fork will have internal wiring for a SON SL dynohub and fender eyelets. I've met one local builder who can do that and know of another.

I'm still partial to pre-2006 Campagnolo components, 2010 Centaur Carbon levers, and triple cranks which allow climbing 10% grades at an endurance pace using tight cogs that work well on flat ground without excessive front shifting.

jamisFan 02-19-16 03:31 PM

Specialized. I just don't like their "let's sue everyone" hobby.

VegasTriker 02-19-16 03:55 PM

Plain vanilla and decent weight

When it comes to used bikes offered at garage sales or thrift stores - any bike with nuts holding the wheels on - any bike with a one-piece crank - any bike that is more suitable for weight lifting than riding (weighs more than 30lbs - any bike with cheap, useless suspension (usually 30lbs takes care of that) - any bike without enough gears and a decent gear range to find a comfortable cadence - any bike that has an exotic looking frame (simple diamond frame for me) as I watched a kid break one of those in half and end up in a heap of bike parts and it wasn't a BSO either).

DrIsotope 02-19-16 04:27 PM

I dunno 'bout coolness, but when I shop, I never consider Trek or Specialized-- and it has nothing to do with the bikes themselves and everything to do with how the companies strong arm the market, and don't give a crap about the LBS. To me the bikes from both also lack any personality-- I see every Trek like the '90s Honda Civic of bicycles. The only way to tell them apart is the badges.

dim 02-19-16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by VegasTriker (Post 18549948)
When it comes to used bikes offered at garage sales or thrift stores - any bike with nuts holding the wheels on - any bike with a one-piece crank - any bike that is more suitable for weight lifting than riding (weighs more than 30lbs - any bike with cheap, useless suspension (usually 30lbs takes care of that) - any bike without enough gears and a decent gear range to find a comfortable cadence - any bike that has an exotic looking frame (simple diamond frame for me) as I watched a kid break one of those in half and end up in a heap of bike parts and it wasn't a BSO either).

^^
sounds like a 'bike snob'

Seattle Forrest 02-19-16 04:33 PM

https://ponbic-p.azureedge.net/en/cd...1E959EEE7DAF5E

canklecat 02-19-16 05:57 PM

Since we're talking image only, not mediocre function... but I'd take these bikes anyway because I don't care about coolth.

When I was 12-13 my folks bought me a Sears brand 3-speed, which seemed kinda lame at the time, around 1970, when my friends had Schwinns with derailers. But it was a good bike. I was status conscious then. Not now.

Giant has always seemed like such a cheesy name. To a typical consumer it probably sounds like Huffy's less prestigious lineup. I might consider one for my area because this is Specialized territory and the cheesy sounding Giant marque might annoy all the right people.

Cavalo -- Nashbar's sounds-like brand -- bugs some folks. Wouldn't bother me as long as it's decent quality for the money. I might modify the marque to "Cavalier", or "Cavaloaf".

Globe sounds borderline cheesy, but my Carmel doesn't have any obvious markings -- which I like. So I stuck bumper stinkers from a local "pirate" radio station on it. It's a generic looking compact that at a glance resembles the crap bikes outside pawn shops. Good errand and leisure bike, and I don't worry much about theft. I like the blank chromed frame for inserting your own artwork. Silly but fun touch. I'd buy another Globe if I could find one of their errand/porteur type bikes for a reasonable price.

BlazingPedals 02-19-16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 18549752)

... same as LeMond?

Saddle Up 02-19-16 06:18 PM

Yes, Trek.

Pendergast 02-19-16 06:27 PM

I don't think there's a brand I wouldn't buy. I'm a bit more picky about colors.

Moe Zhoost 02-19-16 06:27 PM

My commuting bike has axle nuts, weighs more than 30 lbs, and has only 5 speeds (2 too many for me). I'll ring my bell so you know I'm coming and you can look away.

Machka 02-19-16 06:45 PM

All bicycles are cool ... and I'll actually often go with lesser known brands. :)

slimyfrog 02-19-16 06:53 PM

Cipollini.
Born and raised in Italy, I couldn't ride a bike that says "little onions".

kickstart 02-19-16 07:00 PM

Dang, I have preferences, but talk about bike snobs......

If it makes someone happy riding it, it's a cool bike. :thumb: