Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Sizing me crazy.. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217276)

Dave76 11-11-20 10:31 AM

Sizing me crazy..

Hi everyone,
I've been driving myself mad with bike sizes lately (I know there are more important things in life but still..). I'm exactly in between sizes no matter which i look at things..
My APE index is even a solid 1....same arm span and height!! 186cm and 186cm !! So i guess it comes down to what do I feel more comfortable with. But even then I can find plusses and minuses all over the place.
I've been riding TREK FXs to and from work for a while now and the last one was a size Large that I found to be a bit bunched but it handled well. It gave my back a bit of jip so I then went a size up to an XL (22,5 inch) and all though I'm less cramped, it feels like I'm riding a tank and it's much less fun. Back is a bit better though.
So what would you do? A bit cramped and a bad back but lots of fun or a heavier sturdier ride minus the fun...

Cyclist0100 11-11-20 10:49 AM

What length is your stem? A longer stem on the smaller frame might move you in the right direction.

Carbonfiberboy 11-11-20 11:07 AM

So get a lighter, faster bike with the same effective top tube length. Carbon road bikes at reasonable prices are available. Do a web search. Though for commuting, a gravel bike would probably be better because of the larger tires. GravelKing tires get kudos. Light gravel bikes are common, too. Again, web search.

hsuBM 11-11-20 01:12 PM

Cramped setups make me bend my elbows more than I’d prefer.

I have a 57cm antique road frame that has bullhorns on a 60mm stem set low. My palms are on the ends of the horns rather comfortably much of the time.

I also have a 62cm a.r. frame that has classic drops on a ~90mm stem set at max height with the drops rotated such that the bottoms are level. I’m usually in the drops on that bike.

both bikes have nearly identical stack & reach BB-to-hand grip(?).

I definitely prefer the smaller bike (‘85 Trek 770) 95% of the time, but I’m 80% certain it’s due to the construction of the frame (rigid rear, flimsy floppy front triangle, medium fork). Before that frame came into my Sunny Day Ship of Theseus (replacing a series of Miyatas, Panasonics, etc.), my larger befendered Ship got ridden on a lot of sunny days- I currently think due to the taller-longer frames being more

———

You might look into different stem lengths and handlebar shapes.

Good luck on your journey.

Iride01 11-11-20 01:39 PM

As you've found it's a compromise. Larger frames for me have been more ..... well I'm not sure how to describe. Sort of like driving a nice big sedan on a trip, so stable they seem to steer themselves. Smaller frames, none the less comfortable when properly fit, but handle like a sports car giving you more control to travel in groups and get around those that might be getting in your way.

I thought I'd ride my older and bigger frames on long open road trips. But I find that so far, I don't. The smaller frame is too fun..... like a little sports car.

Don't assume that your sizing for one particular model bike is the same for other models even when of the same manufacturer. If you fall in the overlap, you just have to trust your instinct and previous experience.

Cyclist0100 11-11-20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21785660)
Don't assume that your sizing for one particular model bike is the same for other models even when of the same manufacturer. If you fall in the overlap, you just have to trust your instinct and previous experience.

Or one could consult with a competent, well-experienced bike fitter who will get you onto the right size frame before you buy the bike. Just sayin'.

I know there are plenty of bad bike fitters in the wild, and the advent of proprietary fit systems has made things worse IMO. So... I will fully admit that finding a really good fitter it not always easy. However, when you do connect with an independent, professional fitter with the right skills and expertise it makes a huge difference.

And if one has already purchased the bike, a good bike fitter is likely still the best solution. Proper fit is not as easy as a lot of people assume.

philbob57 11-21-20 03:37 PM

Why would you even think of over-stressing your back?

I'd probably get a longer stem, or something that puts the 'bars higher, or both before I bought a larger bike.

Moisture 01-11-21 08:00 PM

I dont find that a bigger frame degrades handling response for me that much. Wheel size does.

You can always opt for a larger frame that has more aggressive angles and a shorter stem. At.the end of the day, nothing should.compromise frame fit and comfort. Maybe the xl frame just takes some getting used to.