Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   No Rainwear and its gonna rain all week = no riding :( (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=144849)

StalkerZERO 10-08-05 06:26 PM

No Rainwear and its gonna rain all week = no riding :(

ARGHH!!
Look, I'm willing to bike in wet weather but I have no rainwear whatsoever. And its going to rain the whole week. How many of you guys are really gung ho cyclists and actually don't mind riding in the rain?
As soon as I can afford the proper attire I for one will be riding when its wet. Well.....at least when its cold I will.
What kinds or weather do you ride and/or don't ride?

BillyD 10-08-05 06:33 PM

You must line in the Northeast also - - we're getting two and a half months worth of rain in one day here, with more to come. :(

I never ride in the rain, myself, but that's just me. I love to bike, but I don't love it THAT much. I can wait til it stops raining to get back out there.

Besides, it's not worth the increased risk of a spill with slick tires on wet roads. :eek:

StalkerZERO 10-08-05 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD
You must line in the Northeast also - - we're getting two and a half months worth of rain in one day here, with more to come. :(

I never ride in the rain, myself, but that's just me. I love to bike, but I don't love it THAT much. I can wait til it stops raining to get back out there.

Besides, it's not worth the increased risk of a spill with slick tires on wet roads. :eek:

Ya I guess your right. :(
But I will ride when its colder. That at least I can do.

russdaz 10-08-05 06:58 PM

i ride in the rain, case have have to as out weather is all over the place. must admit the pro race2 lights arnt the best in the wet conditions on areo-rims, but with the right clothes the wet dont bother me. Improves you bike skills for the fast dry decents.

chipcom 10-08-05 07:01 PM

WIMPS!! Just kidding. ;) I don't mind riding in the rain, no rain gear required, when it's warm (60 or above), but it's not good for the bike at any temperature. I'll be riding in the morning, rain or shine, but if it is raining, I'll be on the beater.

SteelCommuter 10-08-05 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD

Slick tires have the best traction on wet pavement; if you run really skinny tires, that's the risky matter on the wet stuff.

TheKillerPenguin 10-08-05 07:28 PM

I went out in the rain and fog yesterday and rode up into the mountains. It actually turned out to be really great. Way too cold today though :( I stuck to the trainer.

You don't need wet weather gear to ride in the rain!

60cycle 10-08-05 07:37 PM

i'll ride in the rain, but usually my ride time will be shorter. if it's just TOO crazy out i'll go to the gym and swim for about 40 minutes...

bluecd 10-08-05 10:15 PM

i dont mind getting caught in the rain but if its raining before i even go out then i just hook it up to the trainer.

spingineer 10-08-05 10:52 PM

I got used to riding in the rain (although it's probably not as much rain in ca as in the east coast). Don't think of it as riding in the rain, as opposed to raining through rain.

slvoid 10-08-05 10:54 PM

I just get wet, rain wear never works for me...

pedex 10-08-05 11:00 PM

Rain usually isnt too bad till its like 31 degrees and freakin pouring, then it becomes a real chore to deal with, not that I have a choice, so i deal with it. Im usually ok as long as I keep my feet fairly dry and warm, goretex socks and fenders help keep em dry.

Warblade 10-08-05 11:35 PM

I ride in everything except snow.

jyossarian 10-08-05 11:50 PM

I rode in the rain today and came back 10 lbs heavier cuz I was waterlogged. That's not exactly an option when riding to work though. I'm in the same boat, no waterproof clothes so I'll either be telecommuting or taking the subway or if it's not raining in the morning, wearing shorts and bringing a change of clothes.

TheDTrain 10-09-05 10:15 AM

Man!

You got the weather here in Boston to a tee.
I was watching the weather channel and it looks like rain throughout the entire next week!
At today, it's dry. But it looks like rain can come down at any time.
Better go get some riding done, just don't go to far.

2manybikes 10-09-05 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by slvoid
I just get wet, rain wear never works for me...

If you arrive at work soaked, do you have a place to dry your gear before the return trip? Does stuff get dry in time to ride home?

slvoid 10-09-05 10:47 AM

Yeah, I hang my clothes in the boiler room next to the boiler, so it's always warm and dry by the time I leave. Lately I've been hanging one of those car air freshener trees between my clothes so they don't smell like diesel.
My shoes and socks I leave under my desk along with my helmet and gloves and I have a clip on fan that I aim at it.

I sweat so much, waterproof clothing'll only get me wet from the inside out anyway.

2manybikes 10-09-05 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by slvoid
Yeah, I hang my clothes in the boiler room next to the boiler, so it's always warm and dry by the time I leave. Lately I've been hanging one of those car air freshener trees between my clothes so they don't smell like diesel.
My shoes and socks I leave under my desk along with my helmet and gloves and I have a clip on fan that I aim at it.

I sweat so much, waterproof clothing'll only get me wet from the inside out anyway.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the boiler room from some older thread. That's perfect. Sounds like you have one of the nicest places to work for a bike commuter.

That is exactly my problem, the sweat is soaking me under the rain gear. I do find that it still keeps me warm as long as I am still working a little so I do use the rain gear.

slvoid 10-09-05 11:10 AM

Well the flexibility's nice. I also get a place to store my bike indoors. My coworkers make fun of me but they're understanding and I get a lot of respect when it's stormy or cold out in the winter.
I just have to make up excuses for all my accidents so they don't think I'm a klutz. "I fell down the stairs." "I threw my back out lifting my air conditioner"

Other than that, the place isn't really that nice to work for, pay sucks, no room for growth, and people keep butting in on my projects.