Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Pedal recommendations (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182863)

Shadowx 09-03-19 08:00 PM

Pedal recommendations

Getting back on my bike. I did not get out last year or this year so far. and I need to get back at it. I need some pedal recommendations, standard style. Previously I broke my stock pedals, switched to SPD, but had a bunch of shoe trouble and can't afford proper shoes and switching clip in pedals. Just looking for a good pair of standard style pedals with bearings for a clyde.

sdmc530 09-03-19 08:13 PM

I wish I could help you with some good flats...I have zero experience with them. I always ride with SPD-SL now and don't prefer to ride any other way.

good luck.....

DrIsotope 09-03-19 08:32 PM

Tough to go wrong with Wellgo MG-1s. They were my go-to pedal prior to clipping in.

Outback Cayucan 09-03-19 11:26 PM

Chester Race Face serve me well. Check Rivendell website for responsible guidance.

Gconan 09-04-19 02:02 AM

Pedaling Innovations

I love the large platforms. Firm foundation.

zjrog 09-04-19 09:13 AM

I had good luck with Wellgo pedals in the past. But I need a wider pedal now, the above mentioned pedals may fit the bill. I use pedal extenders as it is, I have heel strike on the right side chainstay.

I have SPD MTB double sided pedals on one bike, and I just can't get the hang of getting clipped in. These will go to my bike I keep on my trainer for the winter. Maybe, just maybe I can get the hang of them...

frogbiscuit 09-04-19 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Outback Cayucan (Post 21106931)
Chester Race Face serve me well. Check Rivendell website for responsible guidance.

Love my Chesters. I wear New Balance skater shoes, wide enough for my duck feet, and a nice stiff sole.

wsteve464 09-04-19 09:20 AM

Check e-bay for platform pedals with pins you will probably save few $ over the Wellgo but there is nothing wrong with the Wellgo posted above. I also use pedal extenders cost about $10 on ebay.

Synack42 09-04-19 10:06 AM

I just did a retro-esque 26" MTB build and picked up some "Giant Pro Alloy MTB Pedals" from a LBS last minute. I'm very happy with them so far. Super smooth bearings...

https://www.klmfitness.com/product/g...s-204953-1.htm

kingston 09-04-19 12:44 PM

VP Vice

philbob57 09-04-19 02:13 PM

Depends on budget. I like my DMR V12s. I chose them over competing pedals because they were the biggest and flattest at my desired price. For reviews, look in BMX forums and reviews.

Synack42 09-04-19 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by kingston (Post 21107788)
VP Vice

...and now I'm adding to the ever expanding bike wish list on amazon... :)

(Attempting to justify in conversation... But they're alloy, and they match my headset!!! :lol:)

ereyesiii 09-05-19 09:33 AM

I've had good luck with MKS Lambda pedals on my commuter. Used with sized 13 (US) flat soled shoes, sneakers, and non-slip works boots.

Aahzz 09-06-19 09:37 AM

I freaking love my Race Face Chesters. The adjustable grip pegs are awesome for getting a great grip to the pedal while maintaining good comfort.

Franc Franclin 09-09-19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aahzz (Post 21110762)
I freaking love my Race Face Chesters. The adjustable grip pegs are awesome for getting a great grip to the pedal while maintaining good comfort.

I bought the Chesters on your recommendation in the Hybrid forum. Great pedal.

RubeRad 09-12-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wsteve464 (Post 21107415)
Check e-bay for platform pedals with pins you will probably save few $ over the Wellgo but there is nothing wrong with the Wellgo posted above. I also use pedal extenders cost about $10 on ebay.

That is exactly all 3 things I also wanted to say: wellgo mg-1, check eBay, and if you have out-turned feet get some pedal extenders.

I switched from SPD to pinned platform for the same reason as OP: didn't want to deal with the hassle/cost of shopping for new SPD shoes. So happy with the switch, now I can wear whatever crappy tennis shoes I want (or sometimes even flip flops) and when I get off I can walk without scraping (I know SPDs are recessed, but the more you weigh the more rubber soles compress, and the less recessed recesses get)

Tiny1990 09-14-19 09:53 PM

Ive been using the Pedaling Innovations pedals for over 2 years and they are great!

brawlo 09-16-19 06:34 PM

I love my VP Harriers (current equivalent is the VP Matador). They're really wide with a huge platform.

I made the switch after getting sick of pedaling around on the small platform when not in my cleats with my daughter. I have adapted very quickly to them and love the freedom of foot position when out on the trails. It's also fantastic to be able to grab my MTB and cruise along with my daughter in whatever shoes I'm wearing and be comfortable

rumrunn6 09-26-19 07:57 AM

I really like my FUNN Mamba MTB pedals on my road bike. they have cleats on one side. I like them cuz they are large. so I can use them with any shoe or with my cleated shoes. might be useful in case you change your mind?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...400cdfbd10.jpg

cyclist2000 09-27-19 07:12 AM

I have Race Face Chesters on my winter ride, but don't have too many miles on them.

Dr.Lou 09-28-19 07:39 AM

I have a couple pairs of RF Chesters and one pair CB Stamps, I like both brands. Lots of cool colors.