Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What are you drinking? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1173593)

atjurhs 05-21-19 11:43 AM

What are you drinking?

no not alcoholic beverages, energy drink = powdery stuff+water
what's your powdery stuff?

Seattle Forrest 05-21-19 11:46 AM

Nuun. No energy, just electrolytes.

Abe_Froman 05-21-19 11:58 AM

Powdered gatorade, with powdered maltodextrin added in for long, hard, or long/hard rides.

burnthesheep 05-21-19 12:05 PM

Powdered Gatorade and SiS gels because the SiS box was almost free plus shipping as a USAC member benefit.

datlas 05-21-19 12:12 PM

I used to use Cytomax for years and loved it. They seem to have changed their formula about 1 year ago and now it tastes horribly bitter. Am looking for something new. I just tried some GU Roctane powder Grape and it was pretty good, but I think I will save it for long rides like centuries, it does have 250 calories/bottle which is pretty dense for a drink.

GrainBrain 05-21-19 12:33 PM

I've become a convert to the church of Hammer Nutrition. The fizz electrolyte tablets are a staple. I'll mix in HEED if I haven't ate in 4+ hours or for two + hours in the saddle. Endurance mix for 6+ hours.

indyfabz 05-21-19 12:33 PM

For long, hard days I will sometimes mix a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem. I'll be taking a few packages with me on my tour next month to get me through a couple of days where there are hard stretches with no services (e.g., 15 miles of unpaved climbing with 3,200'+ of elevation gain). Downside is that if it's really hot out you are advised to drink it with 2-3 hrs. Ask me how I know.

indyfabz 05-21-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 20940753)
it does have 250 calories/bottle which is pretty dense for a drink.

Hammer Perpetuem single package has 270. Liquid food.

seypat 05-21-19 12:40 PM

Water and some Powerade also Some ride I was on last year had HEED. That stuff taste nasty!

I'm a runner also. I carry/use Salt Sticks as well. I'm trying this brand at the moment in place of Salt Sticks because it's cheaper. You can get it for less on Amazon.

https://elitesportzequipment.myshopi.../rapid-reydra8

caloso 05-21-19 12:46 PM

Diluted Gatorade.

MattTheHat 05-21-19 01:01 PM

Dehydrated water. I just add water.:lol:

I will admit to occasionally throwing in a Nuun tablet. But normally just water.

-Matt

MoAlpha 05-21-19 01:01 PM

One part Snow's clam juice, two parts Sunny Delight, two parts double-distilled, de-ionized water, spiked with 30 mg of methylphenidate per liter. I can go all day on that stuff.

Dirt Farmer 05-21-19 01:30 PM

Lemon Lime Gatorade with SaltStick capsules. Oh, and mustard packets for cramping.

seypat 05-21-19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer (Post 20940899)
Lemon Lime Gatorade with SaltStick capsules. Oh, and mustard packets for cramping.

I forgot about the mustard packets. I never go out without any.

Rides4Beer 05-21-19 01:36 PM

Haven't had any problems doing centuries on just water (and some food).

I'm new to cycling, but I think cyclists might overfuel worse than runners do. :lol:

But as always, do whatever works for you. :beer:

sdmc530 05-21-19 01:53 PM

NUUN is my go to bike mix. One water and one bottle with NUUN. I like the taste too.

indyfabz 05-21-19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 20940912)

I'm new to cycling, but I think cyclists might overfuel worse than runners do. :lol:

I think what's he asking for is alternatives to solid food.

In any event, I think the same re: overeating. I know way too may cyclists who think 40 miles with not much climbing=pizza at the halfway point. I started examining my own eating patterns during self-contained touring and came to the conclusion that I was often overeating during the day's ride. I experimented with cutting back in calorie intake while pedaling and found that I was able to get through a tough day's ride on less than my usual. I'll have a good appetite at the end of the day, but that's to be expected.

NoWhammies 05-21-19 02:13 PM

Nuun. I don't really have a favourite flavour. All seem to do the trick.

Seattle Forrest 05-21-19 02:23 PM

Whisky.

firebird854 05-21-19 02:29 PM

Powdered Gatorade for most rides and races, at $8 for 6 gallons it's the best price per value I've found for sports drink. For longer rides (in excess of 4 hours) I'll normally switch to Hammer Perpetuem.

Robert A 05-21-19 02:34 PM

Pot.

Ghazmh 05-21-19 02:35 PM

Hydrogen Oxygen composite in a liquid state.

Trsnrtr 05-21-19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 20940912)

But as always, do whatever works for you. :beer:

Same, here.

Abe_Froman 05-21-19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20940956)

In any event, I think the same re: overeating. I know way too may cyclists who think 40 miles with not much climbing=pizza at the halfway point. I started examining my own eating patterns during self-contained touring and came to the conclusion that I was often overeating during the day's ride. I experimented with cutting back in calorie intake while pedaling and found that I was able to get through a tough day's ride on less than my usual. I'll have a good appetite at the end of the day, but that's to be expected.

Now, I've found the exact opposite.

I used to crash HARD later in the day any time I went longer than 30 or 40 miles. Lately I've been pretty good about getting ~250 calories in me per hour on the bike, and I feel LOADS better after rides.

MSchott 05-21-19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20940956)

40 miles and they eat a meal half way? 40 miles where I live only requires some good carbs beforehand and water on the ride.