Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Wahoo Elemnt Bolt Turn by Turn Directions? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206290)

kosmo886 07-01-20 01:46 PM

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt Turn by Turn Directions?

I just got an Elemnt Bolt and uploaded a few routes from Strava. I can access them but they don’t seem to be providing turn by turn directions. Is the only way to figure out the route to just look at the picture on the map on the screen? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Plainsman 07-01-20 01:52 PM

Strava does not export turn by turn cues. This was the case back in 2017/2018 anyway. The Elemnt does not have those built in. If you use Kamoot or Ride with GPS (created from Scratch) it will work. You can't try to back door it though by putting the Strava file through Kamoot or Ride with GPS. This video from GP Lama helped me. If this has been updated and someone else knows the trick, I'm all ears too!

MidTNBrad 07-01-20 02:39 PM

This is one of the big reasons I'm moving away from Strava to RWGPS.

kosmo886 07-01-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Plainsman (Post 21563931)
Strava does not export turn by turn cues. This was the case back in 2017/2018 anyway. The Elemnt does not have those built in. If you use Kamoot or Ride with GPS (created from Scratch) it will work. You can't try to back door it though by putting the Strava file through Kamoot or Ride with GPS. This video from GP Lama helped me. If this has been updated and someone else knows the trick, I'm all ears too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDMxcW1BuM

That seems like a big missed opportunity for Strava. All my friends are on Strava. Would this mean essentially running ride with GPS and Strava at the same time?

Steve B. 07-01-20 05:30 PM

You can save completed rides to Strava but use RWGPS to create rides.

WhyFi 07-01-20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 21564287)
That seems like a big missed opportunity for Strava. All my friends are on Strava. Would this mean essentially running ride with GPS and Strava at the same time?

No. I never run RwGPS on a ride. I simply create routes with RwGPS on the computer and have my Wahoo and RwGPS accounts linked; the created routes will migrate over to the Wahoo.

kosmo886 07-01-20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21564324)
No. I never run RwGPS on a ride. I simply create routes with RwGPS on the computer and have my Wahoo and RwGPS accounts linked; the created routes will migrate over to the Wahoo.

Got it. I just got my Wahoo so sorry for the basic questions! I just created a route on ride with GPS and linked to my Strava account and Wahoo. I will test shortly, but assume I just start the route on the Wahoo and should have everything all linked up and audible turn by turn directions. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!

kosmo886 07-01-20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21564300)
You can save completed rides to Strava but use RWGPS to create rides.

Is it possible to set a start and end point (likely the same) and desired distance and have RWGPS set a random route to those parameters?

WhyFi 07-01-20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 21564336)
Got it. I just got my Wahoo so sorry for the basic questions! I just created a route on ride with GPS and linked to my Strava account and Wahoo. I will test shortly, but assume I just start the route on the Wahoo and should have everything all linked up and audible turn by turn directions. Is this the best way to do it? Thanks!

Yup. You can either select the route from your Wahoo or from the Wahoo Element companion app.

Oh, to be clear, though - it's not giving spoken turn instructions; it's beeping at you when a turn is approaching and giving you instructions (left/right, street name) on-screen.

Steve B. 07-01-20 07:00 PM

Only way I know to get an audible TBT is on a Garmin that is BT connected to a phone that you can connect headphones. I’ve heard of this, never done it. Maybe some of the smartphone GPS cycling apps can do this as well.

woodcraft 07-02-20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 21564399)
Is it possible to set a start and end point (likely the same) and desired distance and have RWGPS set a random route to those parameters?

No, but it's possible to plot a route on RWGPS and have it make some pretty random jumps while you're working on it.

SurferCyclist 07-02-20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21564324)

This. However bear in mind the navigation on the Bolt is not brilliant. If you miss a turn it'll tell you but won't redirect back onto route. I rarely use it for navigational purposes, if I ride somewhere completely new I find it helps to check over some OS maps etc and get a rough idea of area. Plus have phone with Google maps on if you'll really stuck.

kosmo886 07-02-20 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21564405)
Yup. You can either select the route from your Wahoo or from the Wahoo Element companion app.

Oh, to be clear, though - it's not giving spoken turn instructions; it's beeping at you when a turn is approaching and giving you instructions (left/right, street name) on-screen.

Just took a ride using RWGPS route pushed to the Wahoo. Worked quite well. Syncing that to Strava was also smooth. Only outstanding question is if I can get Apple Watch HR data to the apps...