Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pizza "Delivery"... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175664)

BobbyG 06-14-19 12:24 PM

Pizza "Delivery"...

The pizza my wife and I ordered at a restaurant last night was ENORMOUS. We had three pieces left which filled a medium pizza box. So I took the leftovers to work for lunch. I was wondering what kind of container to put them in, but decided to just bring the box. The back of my thighs rubbed up against it a few times, but it just reminded me of the delicious lunch I was bringing to work.

The pizza was so good I almost considered a "second breakfast".
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...58629337ac.jpg

CliffordK 06-14-19 01:13 PM

I'm frequently seen coming home from shopping with a few frozen pizzas. Sometimes tied to my rack. Sometimes in panniers. Sometimes in a bike trailer.

I have one pannier set with a trunk bag that holds several of them well.

BobbyG 06-14-19 01:20 PM

My utility commuter has Wald folding baskets, but neither my current commuter bag, nor the pizza box would fit in them.

AusTexMurf 06-14-19 04:51 PM

I have three sons. They eat a lot of pizza. Lucky for us, we have a great local pizzeria about 1.5 miles from home. Easy distance for bike pickup.
Although I can carry pizzas on just about any of my bikes with three bungee cords, it is much easier to put them on the front racks of my bikes that have them.
I have a Toba Romeo (pizza) front rack that can accomodate pizza, bulky items, and panniers as well on one of my go to touring bikes. We have another one of these same front Toba Romeo racks on one of my wife's bikes. Also, I have two of the Blackburn Local Deluxe racks on my 92 Bridgestone MB3. They are wider, shorter racks that can be mounted on the front or rear. I can get away with hauling pizza up front or on back with this bike when I have the trunk bag mounted up front.

In general, I find it easier to carry pizzas on a front rack. No hitting the pizza boxes as you pedal and much easier to get on and off the bike while pizza loaded.

Kedosto 06-14-19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 20978873)
The pizza was so good I almost considered a "second breakfast".

Cold pizza — the Breakfast of Champions.

-Kedosto

KraneXL 06-14-19 08:46 PM

Let me guess, you burned all those 300-500 calories/slice on the way to work?

One more thing, invest in a set of Tupperware.

DiabloScott 06-15-19 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by AusTexMurf (Post 20979274)
I have three sons.

Doodoo-do dooooooo
Doodoo- do dooooooooo.

rseeker 06-15-19 08:05 AM

Bike is hot whether the pizza is or not. I love the safety stripes, those go great with the all-business look of the bike. I haven't noticed the handlebar wrap before, is that just pipe insulation?

fietsbob 06-15-19 04:05 PM

front top of the wheel pannier rack , stretch net to D rings on the bags , I'm good to go..

take & bake is on my way home ..

BobbyG 06-15-19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rseeker (Post 20980027)
Bike is hot whether the pizza is or not. I love the safety stripes, those go great with the over SRS BZNS look of the bike, I haven't noticed the handlebar wrap before, is that just pipe insulation?

Yes, pipe insulation. I developed "crampy hands" in my 40s. I was going to just use the red and white striped reflector tape like I used on my older bikes, but when I went to home depot that day all they had was the black and yellow caution tape, and I realized it would be way cooler.

BobbyG 06-15-19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20980556)
front top of the wheel pannier rack , stretch net to D rings on the bags , I'm good to go..

take & bake is on my way home ..

Yes, if pizza were a regular thing, that's what I'd do.

Korina 06-16-19 11:59 AM

Haven't tried carrying pizza home on the bike; take & bake is 3 blocks from home, but I feel ya about the second breakfast (very hobbitish). When I take leftover pizza to work, I take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before lunch to let it warm up to "cool". I've never been able to hold off more than 20 minutes.

RubeRad 06-18-19 02:45 PM

cold pizza is solid enough you can just toss a slice (or pile of a couple slices) in a ziploc. If a few pieces of topping dislodge, you can always put them back on before you microwave (or eat cold)

noglider 06-19-19 01:12 PM

Microwaving pizza? Ew, ick. Doesn't it turn into a sponge that way? I use a toaster oven.

RubeRad 06-19-19 01:57 PM

we used to have a toaster oven at work, until facilities took it away as a fire hazard. :(

Darth Lefty 06-19-19 02:03 PM

I can't believe it took me til age 40 to learn to re-heat pizza in the oven. Soooo much better than rubbery crust from the microwave

RubeRad 06-19-19 02:06 PM

Well you know what they say about 'bad pizza'

KraneXL 06-19-19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 20986501)
I can't believe it took me til age 40 to learn to re-heat pizza in the oven. Soooo much better than rubbery crust from the microwave

Using the microwave won't make it as crisp as a conventional oven but you have to know how to time it right. You only have a minute or so before the microwave starts to dry it out and it turns into rubber. At 1000w that about 1 minute or so. Either way you lose half the freshness.

Darth Lefty 06-19-19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20986930)
Using the microwave won't make it as crisp as a conventional oven but you have to know how to time it right. You only have a minute or so before the microwave starts to dry it out and it turns into rubber. At 1000w that about 1 minute or so. Either way you lose half the freshness.

Put it on a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper, put it in the cold oven, set to 400 and time it for ten minutes. Nine minutes in, do another slice in the microwave and compare them. It's worth the wait. In fact I'm spoiled enough now I don't take the leftovers for lunch any more, I eat them for breakfast.

Oh, uh, bikes!
https://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts...09-800x600.jpg

BobbyG 06-20-19 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20986930)
...At 1000w that about 1 minute or so.

Why is it that every discussion on BF devolves into a discussion of watts?

(just kidding)

wipekitty 06-20-19 10:36 AM

Back in the day, I put pizza boxes in a big oversized messenger bag. I thought I was pretty cool.

My SO and I have not had a microwave as long as we've been together...11 years? It's always fun explaining to teenagers that yes, you CAN reheat leftovers/make coffee/make frozen food/etc. without a microwave. The only thing you really can't do is make microwave popcorn, but nobody should eat that anyway.

KraneXL 06-20-19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20988026)
Back in the day, I put pizza boxes in a big oversized messenger bag. I thought I was pretty cool.

My SO and I have not had a microwave as long as we've been together...11 years? It's always fun explaining to teenagers that yes, you CAN reheat leftovers/make coffee/make frozen food/etc. without a microwave. The only thing you really can't do is make microwave popcorn, but nobody should eat that anyway.

Well they are the most economically efficient way to cook. And definitely the most practical for warming, especially soups and stews. Of course, as we all know, they have their limitations.

I don't have one for the first time in decades and I'm using 3x the energy just boiling water for coffee/teas and warming leftovers.

RubeRad 06-20-19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20988026)
The only thing you really can't do is make microwave popcorn, but nobody should eat that anyway.

?? I LOVE microwave popcorn, can't imagine any other method providing enough improvement to be worth the work. I thought when they introduced 'Popcorn' buttons on microwaves, it was the best invention since sliced bread. Or maybe since microwave popcorn.

Picked up at the 99c store once microwave pork rinds, they are packaged and cooked like microwave popcorn (although the cook silently). Interesting experience. But not worth 99c/pack to continue experiencing.

rseeker 06-20-19 02:20 PM

I thought microwave popcorn emitted a vapor that was bad for your lungs? I heard that a while ago, so maybe they've worked out a different formulation by now ...

ksryder 06-20-19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rseeker (Post 20988438)
I thought microwave popcorn emitted a vapor that was bad for your lungs? I heard that a while ago, so maybe they've worked out a different formulation by now ...

There was a popcorn plant, I think it was in Missouri, where the employees won a huge damages award (or maybe it was a settlement) because breathing in the vapors from the butter flavor gave them all black lung or something.*

I want to say it was microwave popcorn, but after thinking about it maybe it was those tins of holiday popcorn? You know the ones with butter, cheddar and cinnamon, that you literally cannot stop yourself from eating because they're so stinking delicious?

*facts stated in this comment may not be entirely factual. I'm going off memory.

PS oh yeah, bikes. I guess if I ride my bike enough then I can get away with eating buttered popcorn?