Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   60 years of HAPPY marriage!!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=992364)

zonatandem 02-02-15 06:50 PM

60 years of HAPPY marriage!!!

3 Attachment(s)
For you folks on this forum that are in your fifties . . . who think that you are 'old':
We celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary last week and also 40 years of tandem riding.
Started riding single bikes in the early 70s; in 1975 bought our first tandem (a real 10 speed Follis) for our then 20th wedding anniversary.
We are now on tandem #5 and have pedaled tandems over 240,000 miles as a duo.
Rudy still owns/rides a single bike and pedaled 5,016 miles between the tandem and the single in 2014.
At ages 79 and 82 we still tandem regularly; not as far, not as fast and no more centuries. Been there . . .done that!
A tandem is sometimes referred to as a 'divorce machine' . . . but not so in our case!
Enjoy the ride TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

Bikey Mikey 02-02-15 07:05 PM

Awwwww.

Gee, my wife and I have only been married nearly 32 years(been together nearly 34, when including the courtship).

Big Congrats

jimincalif 02-02-15 07:12 PM

Congratulations you two! My wife and I just celebrated our 28th anniversary this weekend. My parents got married in 1955 too.

KenshiBiker 02-02-15 07:39 PM

60 years of marriage? Wow! Congratulations.

My wife and I are headed to our 25th this September; if we make it to our 60th, that will mean we're pushing 90 :eek: (she'll only be 89). I hope we're still riding when we're your age.

Dan Burkhart 02-02-15 07:40 PM

I had to look twice, I thought your stoker was flipping the bird in the second photo.:lol:
Seriously, congratulations, and many more years of riding twogether.

gif4445 02-02-15 08:58 PM

Congratulations!! Now that's something to be proud of! My wife and I have had 25 years of HAPPY marriage. However, we have been married for 33 years.

JanMM 02-02-15 09:27 PM

TWOgether:thumb:

FBinNY 02-02-15 09:33 PM

Congrats big time. Both the marriage, and your good health that allows you to enjoy it together.

Deb and I are closing in on 35 years together.

himespau 02-02-15 09:39 PM

Congrats

CrankyFranky 02-02-15 09:41 PM

Kay and Rudy - a belated Happy Anniversary!

Artkansas 02-02-15 10:38 PM

That's quite an achievement. No way will I ever be able to achieve that.

Congratulations!

h2oxtc 02-02-15 11:57 PM

Congratulations to you and your wife! Not only have you had a wonderful partner in marriage, you've had a cycling partner as well.

godeacs 02-03-15 12:32 AM

Congrats! Heck, I'm just happy to have lived to see 60.....:lol:

qcpmsame 02-03-15 07:10 AM

Congratulations to you both, that is a fantastic milestone and a great accomplishment. I look up to you both and respect how you manage to ride and to keep a balanced life going so well. Your attitudes are inspiring to me, and others here, too, I feel certain. Simply Amazing!

Bill

avidone1 02-03-15 08:02 AM

Sweet post. congratulations on your successful and loving marriage

obed7 02-03-15 08:17 AM

congrats. Stories like yours are encouraging to read.
I will not ever attain that no matter how long I live.
I have been married 3 times, two of those were to the same woman....I never claimed to be overly bright.

Wilfred Laurier 02-03-15 08:44 AM

Congratulations!

My wife and I have been married almost 20 years, and we might make it to 60 years of happy marriage.... if we stay married for 180 years!

Jim from Boston 02-03-15 08:44 AM

Dittoes to all the above; very inspiring. What got you started cycling, if I may ask? You both are certainly avid subscribers to Bike Forums (10,140) Are you co-authors or write as individuals?

FYA, I recently posted our somewhat short-lived cycling biography as a couple to the thread, "The art of dating" on the Living Car Free Forum:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17520860)
I met my future wife when we were college students in the easily car-free college town of Ann Arbor, MI, well before I discovered as an adult the cycling lifestyle a couple years after we met. She soon followed suit, and we both bought similar high end bikes (Merciers, at that time). We began touring for occasional weekend to week-long tours in Michigan and Ontario. In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 7351302)
The honeymoon was a cross country bike trip from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. It was a great way to start married life, since every day we would have to find and set up a homestead for the night in a new environment where we only knew, and could depend on each other. I can remember two distinct times on that trip when either one of us hit low a point, and were bouyed up by the other; me in Kansas and she in Ohio…

We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula. We continued to tour until children came along [in 1988], and now our mutual togetherness activity is ballroom dancing.

Our next, most recent cycling together was last year in Toronto, on a quadricycle, our first ride together ever on a “bicycle built for two (four).”

locolobo13 02-03-15 09:06 AM

Congrats

John E 02-03-15 09:22 AM

Congrats and best wishes to both of you! I know I am getting old when several of my friends have passed the 50 year marriage -- not just birthday -- mark.

I have had the same girlfriend for 46 years -- we are coming up on our 42nd wedding anniversary in June. Her parents and mine split up between 25 and 30 years of marriage, both after taking E.S.T., Lifespring, and other pop psych "courses" that were fashionable in the 1970s.

Mary Ann Swenson, the recently retired Bishop of the Methodist Church for the southwestern US region, was an avid bicyclist. She and her husband took a cross-country tandem trip to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary, and she was a regular bicycle commuter. Several years later she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and she is one of the very few women I have ever heard of beating that disease. Keep cycling!

OldsCOOL 02-03-15 09:23 AM

Too cool. Congrats!

Route 66 02-03-15 09:26 AM

Congratulations to you both!

What an inspiration you guys are. My wife and I just celebrated 30 years together and we thought that was an accomplishment! :lol:

Biker395 02-03-15 09:47 AM

Very nice. Any tips for the rest of us? Frankly, I don't see myself living long enough to be married 60 years!

A good friend of mine once referred to tandems as "divorce bikes." Another corrected him and said they are "relationship magnifiers" ... if you've got a good one, it makes it better. Bad one? Look out. Sounds like yours was great from the start.

berner 02-03-15 10:53 AM

Bravissimo Mr. and Mrs. Zonatandem on all your accomplishments.

Nightshade 02-03-15 12:58 PM

"We celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary last week" sound like you found the secret to a long happy marriage.

That is...........

Marry your best friend!

Congrats!!!!!!!!