Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Black Friday Sales What Are You Looking For? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1188952)

hefeweizen 11-25-19 08:21 AM

Black Friday Sales What Are You Looking For?

Bicycle Related Things

I am looking to buy these pedals
https://i.imgur.com/Q76n0C4.jpg

indyfabz 11-25-19 08:55 AM

Nothing.

Phil_gretz 11-25-19 09:18 AM

Nothing here. We try to keep Christmas time purchases to the minimum. We did buy hockey tickets to take our daughters and their husbands to see the Capitals play on the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's their Christmas gift. We'll take them to dinner, too, so I guess that qualifies as Black Friday spending...

bruce19 11-25-19 09:19 AM

Peace and quiet

pdlamb 11-25-19 10:17 AM

I'm planning to follow REI's "lead" (in quotes because I've been not-shopping on black Friday for years!), and get outside. Nice bike ride, or raking leaves and picking up pecans, as the yard situation dictates.

Bike gear? I've got most of what I need for the present and for the next year already. (Plus I doubt I'll find a sale on tandem length Campy derailer cable.)

Though it might be time to ride down to my LBS and get a test ride on one of their gravel bikes. There's a nice gravel-and-mud road under construction just a mile from the shop.

Sertsa 11-25-19 11:42 AM

I may check out what's online and hope the phone doesn't ring, as I'll likely be on call should someone's home catch fire (I volunteer with a relief organization).

wolfchild 11-25-19 04:05 PM

Having witnessed Black Friday madness few times before, I am going to stay home and relax. It's not safe to go outside and drive or ride a bike or walk around shopping malls. It's complete anarchy out there.

Rollfast 11-25-19 04:15 PM

A long NAP. :50:

stormpeakco 11-25-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21222584)
Nothing here. We try to keep Christmas time purchases to the minimum. We did buy hockey tickets to take our daughters and their husbands to see the Capitals play on the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's their Christmas gift. We'll take them to dinner, too, so I guess that qualifies as Black Friday spending...

Can't help but have some sympathy for the folks who are forced to work @ AMZN or bricks 'n mortars establishments rather than spending time with their family ....(we try to avoid stores during holidays like it's the black plague BTW-One doesn't have to actually shop on black friday to benefit from the black friday sales....i.e. Garmin product line sale is viable through almost mid December and am reviewing both the InReach mini and Fenix 5 plus, to replace/upgrade from my trusty BUT only one way communication Spot Gen 3).

GnipGnop 11-25-19 05:19 PM

If you're not planning on buying anything, why post in the thread?

Anywho, to stay on topic...
  • a new helmet (Smith makes some in nice colourways that I'm hoping will go on sale. I like wild colours and I hope those are the ones that get marked down).
  • a carbon crankset to replace my S300 messenger crank
  • some new shoes (mavic's would be nice as they seem to fit the best)

base2 11-25-19 05:40 PM

Powertap disc Enve 7.8 rear wheel. It's a shame Wheelbuilder is only doing the $500 off for wheelsets. All I need is a wheel & a set is more than my credit card will allow.

I think I'll call them on the telephone & see if they'll do $250 off for one wheel. $1675 is tough to swallow when a whole set is only about $600 more at $23xx.

I've checked eBay & the usual suspects. Enve 7.8's are hard to come by in the Powertap disc variety. Though if anyone is interested The Pro's Closet has a set of the rim brake Powertap rear & Dt180 front clincher version for around ~$1400...I might pick that up for my Cervelo if no ine here beats me to it first.

Wileyrat 11-25-19 07:00 PM

Since my LBS stopped carrying them, I'll be buying some Cranksports E-Gel packs on sale from Cranksports.

MarcusT 11-25-19 11:29 PM

On Amazon, what ever has the biggest discount, even if I don't need it. :P

indyfabz 11-26-19 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by GnipGnop (Post 21223300)
If you're not planning on buying anything, why post in the thread?

"Nothing" (or a variant thereof) is a perfectly acceptable response to the question as phrased by the OP. If he/she is looking for answer only from people who are planning to shop he/she should have phrased the question differently.

hefeweizen 11-26-19 06:31 AM

Sorry indy but the people that reply - nothing - are just like little kids trying to draw attention to themselves.
If your not looking for something you have no need to reply.
Grow up.

GrainBrain 11-26-19 07:37 AM

Nothing in particular this year, but I have been eyeing clearance shoes. Have yet to find anything in wide width unfortunately. Funny enough I was looking at those 600 level "touring pedals" as well, though if I remember right they were on sale this summer as well.

Paul Barnard 11-26-19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusT (Post 21223659)
On Amazon, what ever has the biggest discount, even if I don't need it. :P

I am the kind of guy who will go broke saving money on good deals.

Paul Barnard 11-26-19 07:44 AM

I won't go into a store on Black Friday, but if good online deals pop up, I can be suckered into about anything.

indyfabz 11-26-19 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by hefeweizen (Post 21223834)
Sorry indy but the people that reply - nothing - are just like little kids trying to draw attention to themselves.
Grow up.

Don't blame me for your choice of words. And don't be the adult in the room who cannot concede that my answer (and those of some others) were literal responses to the question you posed. Too much of that going on in the world. Let it go.

You: What Are You Looking For?
Me: Nothing.

livedarklions 11-26-19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by hefeweizen (Post 21223834)
Grow up.

I'm shopping for world peace and a quick fix to the issue of global warming, but I don't want to spend more than $100.

livedarklions 11-26-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21223960)
Don't blame me for your choice of words. And don't be the adult in the room who cannot concede that my answer (and those of some others) were literal responses to the question you posed. Too much of that going on in the world. Let it go.

You: What Are You Looking For?
Me: Nothing.

For that matter, how much control does the OP expect to have over the thread? It certainly opens the floor to "I don't participate in Black Friday because...."

I really don't care if OP likes that answer. Opening a topic opens the door to all sorts of views.

badger1 11-26-19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21224246)
I'm shopping for world peace and a quick fix to the issue of global warming, but I don't want to spend more than $100.

Buy both first, then start a thread about them here asking if you should have bought them.

indyfabz 11-26-19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21224262)
Buy both first, then start a thread about them here asking if you should have bought them.

:lol: "Just pulled the trigger on a [insert name of item]. Got it for [insert price]. Did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off? Please advice."

base2 11-26-19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 21223329)
Powertap disc Enve 7.8 rear wheel.

Ok! Just did it. I'll need to change my bike computer to measure in mach numbers, but I think it'll be worth it.

:speedy:

Enve 5.6 and a 24 hole Shutter Precision dynamo are planned for the springtime to round out the 23 pound self contained continent crosser. I can't wait!

badger1 11-26-19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21224276)
:lol: "Just pulled the trigger on a [insert name of item]. Got it for [insert price]. Did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off? Please advice."

Perfect phrasing is perfect!