Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   700c Tan walls (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170605)

ryan_rides 04-14-19 07:34 PM

700c Tan walls

I would love to have tan walls on my bike. They look great and that's a fact I think we can all agree on... but I hate flats. Does anyone know of a tan wall tire 700c X 25c max size that holds up well against flats? I run conti grand prix 4000s with tire liners right now size 700c X 23c.

seau grateau 04-14-19 08:03 PM

Pasela PT

hairnet 04-15-19 12:50 AM

Pasela PT
Seconded

seamuis 04-15-19 04:29 AM

Well I would say that a set of paselas would feel noticeably slower than what you’re riding now, but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case. So the paselas would be a good and affordable choice. Just for clarification, when you say ‘flats’, what type of flat are you trying to prevent? I know what tire liners are for, but do you get a lot of punctures, or are pinch flats your biggest issue? A lot of people confuse these as being something that can be solved the same way, and I want to avoid giving useless advice. The paselas are decent tires, but won’t stop pinch flats any better than anything else.

BoozyMcliverRot 04-15-19 07:28 AM

Jack Brown Mile Munchershttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a94baf31ff.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fbc97f65b8.jpg

They ride smooth and feel fast. They also have a 40% more rubber in the tread than the "race" version. Only 280 grams each also.

himespau 04-15-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20885179)
Well I would say that a set of paselas would feel noticeably slower than what you’re riding now, but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case. So the paselas would be a good and affordable choice. Just for clarification, when you say ‘flats’, what type of flat are you trying to prevent? I know what tire liners are for, but do you get a lot of punctures, or are pinch flats your biggest issue? A lot of people confuse these as being something that can be solved the same way, and I want to avoid giving useless advice. The paselas are decent tires, but won’t stop pinch flats any better than anything else.

Also, where are you getting your flats? Sidewall cuts? Punctures from riding over sharp objects?

seamuis 04-15-19 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot (Post 20885327)
Jack Brown Mile Munchers

They ride smooth and feel fast. They also have a 40% more rubber in the tread than the "race" version. Only 280 grams each also.

Honest question, for the cost of jack browns, why did you choose them over say compass? Also, for useless FYI, my 32mm gravelkings only weigh 10g more than these.

BoozyMcliverRot 04-15-19 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20885533)

Honest question, for the cost of jack browns, why did you choose them over say compass? Also, for useless FYI, my 32mm gravelkings only weigh 10g more than these.

​​​​​​My chainstays won't fit a 28 and I originally wanted the Passellas but I didn't think with the tread they have I would have enough clearance with the 25c. I was basically just window shopping for tires untill I could figure out what I wanted to do when I saw these on On-Ones website for $18. I did a little research and found out they are made by Panaracer,I'm not sure but I think they are rebranded Soma/VeloOrange tires also.

seamuis 04-15-19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot (Post 20885610)
​​​​​​My chainstays won't fit a 28 and I originally wanted the Passellas but I didn't think with the tread they have I would have enough clearance with the 25c. I was basically just window shopping for tires untill I could figure out what I wanted to do when I saw these on On-Ones website for $18. I did a little research and found out they are made by Panaracer,I'm not sure but I think they are rebranded Soma/VeloOrange tires also.

well for that price, it’s hard to argue. That’s considerably less than the normal price. I don’t know if they are rebranded, I thought they were designed by Rivendell. I don’t think you would have had an issue with the paselas tread, unless you’re dealing with literally mm clearences, but maybe that’s the case. You can never go wrong with anything Panaracer, regardless of who’s name is on them. Anyway, thanks for the explenation.

BoozyMcliverRot 04-15-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20885712)

well for that price, it’s hard to argue. That’s considerably less than the normal price. I don’t know if they are rebranded, I thought they were designed by Rivendell. I don’t think you would have had an issue with the paselas tread, unless you’re dealing with literally mm clearences, but maybe that’s the case. You can never go wrong with anything Panaracer, regardless of who’s name is on them. Anyway, thanks for the explenation.

Just an FYI,that was the price 3 weeks ago,it has gone up since then. I've noticed a lot of sites,especially CRC and On-One/Planet X,that the prices jump around a lot. I'm sure they will be back down in price again at some point.

hairnet 04-16-19 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20885179)
but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case.

I would have put VeloFlex Masters in my post if it weren't for the tire liners. no point in getting nice light tires if you're adding that kind of bulk.

nightfly 04-24-19 12:57 PM

This thread made me revisit my desire for a set of 28's with tan sidewalls. Looks like VeloFlex makes the masters in 28 but no one seems to sell them, domestically at least:

https://www.veloflex.it/en/open-tubular-master28

seamuis 04-24-19 01:09 PM

The Clément strada lgg, so far hasn’t been mentioned. It’s actually a very good performing tire for the price. I’ve owned both the 28 and the 32 in tanwall. It isn’t a veloflex or even a challenge tire, but it’s performs really good for the money. Figured that would be worth a mention.

nightfly 04-24-19 01:22 PM

I've ridden those tires and like them as well. What's strange in that you can only get the tan sidewall in the 60 tpi version. The 120 tpi version only comes in black. Also the company name changed recently, so they are now called Donnelly Strada LGG.

seau grateau 04-24-19 01:34 PM

A pair of Clement Strada LGG in 28 popped up on Bike Recyclery a while ago. I was thinking of grabbing them, but went with Gravel Kings instead. They also have a new/takeoff pair of Pasela Tourguard in 23 -- good deal, too skinny for my liking though.

Clement Strada LGG 700 x 28C Tires: Tan Skinwall - PAIR (NEW) - Bike Recyclery
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700 x 23c Tires: Tan Skinwall - Kevlar Folding (1 NEW, 1 Take-Off) - Bike Recyclery

TMonk 04-24-19 02:02 PM

tan sidewalls seem to be trendy in the road racing world these days, and you can get some very fast, supple tires with tan walls if that's your thing. check out Specialized Turbo Cotton or Vittoria Corsa. they will flat more than though.

seamuis 04-24-19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 20899117)
A pair of Clement Strada LGG in 28 popped up on Bike Recyclery a while ago. I was thinking of grabbing them, but went with Gravel Kings instead. They also have a new/takeoff pair of Pasela Tourguard in 23 -- good deal, too skinny for my liking though.

Clement Strada LGG 700 x 28C Tires: Tan Skinwall - PAIR (NEW) - Bike Recyclery
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700 x 23c Tires: Tan Skinwall - Kevlar Folding (1 NEW, 1 Take-Off) - Bike Recyclery

For whatever it’s may be worth, I think the gravelkings are a better tire.

ryan_rides 04-24-19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 20899159)
tan sidewalls seem to be trendy in the road racing world these days, and you can get some very fast, supple tires with tan walls if that's your thing. check out Specialized Turbo Cotton or Vittoria Corsa. they will flat more than though.

Yeah my LBS is mainly a Specialized dealer. They carry those tires but they would never last for me. Maybe one day in the future when I have a "weekend speeder" bike ill throw those on it. I'm just looking for tan walls that aren't so prone to flats. My Aventon Cordoba only fits 25c tires so "supple" isn't really a thing for me unfortunately. Even though I'm riding 23c tires right now and 25c compared is a big difference. (Waiting for my current tires to wear down to get new 25c tires. My LBS had a bogo deal on the conti grand prix 4000s II when the 5000s came out.

TMonk 04-24-19 05:42 PM

Yeah I ride the turbos (24c only) on my road race bike so it's a total "weekend speeder" situation haha. Coupled with latex tubes they are nice and soft and supple... I thought I had a flat constantly the first couple of rides. So smooth and so fast. I've yet to flat on them but I've only put about 400 miles on them, about 90% of that racing on mostly debris free roads.

Of course now I just jynxed myself with the flat comment...

Lemond1985 04-24-19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ryan_rides (Post 20899459)
Yeah my LBS is mainly a Specialized dealer. They carry those tires but they would never last for me. Maybe one day in the future when I have a "weekend speeder" bike ill throw those on it. I'm just looking for tan walls that aren't so prone to flats. My Aventon Cordoba only fits 25c tires so "supple" isn't really a thing for me unfortunately. Even though I'm riding 23c tires right now and 25c compared is a big difference. (Waiting for my current tires to wear down to get new 25c tires. My LBS had a bogo deal on the conti grand prix 4000s II when the 5000s came out.

Fortunately, for you, the Panaracer Paselas in 28mm measure something like 26 mm on most rims. Panaracer Gravel Kings in 28 also run narrow, though I'm not sure if they offer a tan wall. These Panaracer 28's are really designed for bikes that normally won't take a 28.

I think Conti did everyone a huge disservice by making their GP 4000II's in 28 mm so wide (30 mm?). After trying them on several of my road bikes, I was sure I'd never be able to run any 28's, but the Panaracers fit all of my 80's and 90's road bikes just fine. :)

seamuis 04-24-19 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20899468)
Fortunately, for you, the Panaracer Paselas in 28mm measure something like 26 mm on most rims. Panaracer Gravel Kings in 28 also run narrow, though I'm not sure if they offer a tan wall. These Panaracer 28's are really designed for bikes that normally won't take a 28.

I think Conti did everyone a huge disservice by making their GP 4000II's in 28 mm so wide (30 mm?). After trying them on several of my road bikes, I was sure I'd never be able to run any 28's, but the Panaracers fit all of my 80's and 90's road bikes just fine. :)

Not my experience, but I run the 32’s. My gravelkings after about half a year still measure near true to size. And I run the rear at near the maximum psi.

nightfly 04-24-19 08:34 PM

Ordered a pair of those Stradas. For $50/pair can't really go wrong. Thanks for the tip.

I've got the VeloFlex's Masters (black sidewall) in 25 on my road bike and they are really nice feeling but my fixed gear I ride more often and am less careful.