Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sun EZ Tad SX - Advice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208001)

Scubaquarius 07-20-20 08:22 AM

Sun EZ Tad SX - Advice

Looking at purchasing a Sun EZ Tad SX. I was looking at some older posts that indicated Sun was not good at standing behind their products.
Anyone had experience with this trike or problems with Sun's warranty?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius

BlazingPedals 07-20-20 01:34 PM

I remember 'way back when someone was having a problem with their EZ-1 seat and was having trouble getting warranty coverage, but nothing since. Are you getting it through a dealer? If you're buying second-hand there's no warranty anyway.

Scubaquarius 07-20-20 01:44 PM

I was going to get it through a dealer. But I'm trying to talk myself into paying the extra cash for a Catrike Villager, $2550. Catrike's
reputation appears to be unparalleled.

Thanks for your advice,
Scubaquarius

VegasTriker 07-20-20 02:19 PM

EZ-TAD SX SPECIFICATIONS
Weight 48 lbs

Catrike Villager
Frame & Geometry
Weight 34 lb 15,5 Kg

Both obtained directly from the company websites. This alone would be enough for me to stick with the Catrike
EZ-TAD SX ? Sun Seeker Bicycles
Catrike Villager

Scubaquarius 07-21-20 06:39 AM

Thanks for the comparison,

Scubaquarius

BlazingPedals 07-22-20 08:21 AM

Sun(seeker) stuff has always been heavy. Cheap but heavy alloys, all steel fittings, who knows? But yeah they're heavy. But hey - any bike shop can order one from their J&B catalog.

Scubaquarius 07-22-20 08:33 AM

Thanks for the information,
Scubaquarius

Scubaquarius 07-22-20 08:37 AM

I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Catrike Villlager for my wife. ETA 8 weeks, hopefully sooner.
But at least I won't have to pay shipping charges. Also, the dealer where I bought it offered $200.00 in
service or parts for an additional $10.00. I do so like Lewis and Clark.

Thanks for everyone's advice and happy cycling,
Scubaquarius

VegasTriker 07-22-20 01:26 PM

That's a long lead time. Utah Trikes who sells a large portion of the Catrike output (30% back in 2013 when I bought mine) has 7 Villagers in stock right now. They charge $250 to ship the assembled trike but that just about equals the sales tax on the trikes bought locally. The price is the same no matter what dealer sells them unless it is a demo trike.

Scubaquarius 07-22-20 02:14 PM

You are correct VegasTriker. My sales tax in AR came out to $248.63. I guess my thought process was that I was avoiding the
shipping charges and would be charged sales tax anyway. Most of the stuff I order now, especially through Amazon, charges
sales tax. I do hate the 6 to 8 week wait :( . I guess sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. Oh well...
at least I get some nice features from Lewis and Clark: $200.00 credit for instore purchases for a one time payment of $10.00
and 30 day full return policy.

Live and learn huh,
Scubaquarius

Leisesturm 07-24-20 10:51 PM

Six to eight weeks to avoid shipping charges ... I don't know. That's the rest of the summer wasted. I wouldn't do it. A Performer JC70 is at least as good a trike as the Villager (and ~1/2 the price) and there would not be any sales tax or shipping and it would be on your doorstep in 2 weeks. I would be cancelling that purchase if I read this post.

Scubaquarius 07-25-20 11:05 AM

I certainly appreciate your thought and taking the time to write. I don't know much about the performer trikes and they are not listed on the Utah Trikes Website,

Thanks,
Scubaquarius

VegasTriker 07-25-20 08:01 PM

The importer for Performer trikes is RBR in State College, PA. There is one review for the Performer Trike X dating back to 2014 on Bentrider. https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=9425 Check out the list of reviews on the site and you may find some newer reviews. You can see all 6 models at the RBR site https://rbr.info/index.php/product-c...former-trikes/ There are not a lot of dealers outside of RBR itself. Utah Trikes is not a dealer so beyond one older youtube video they don't seem to have much available on the trike.

Scubaquarius 07-26-20 06:21 AM

Thanks for the info VegasTriker,

Have a great Sunday,
Scubaquarius

VegasTriker 07-26-20 05:44 PM

I was off by $50 on the shipping charges for the Catrike Villager at Utah Trikes where there are still six of them in several colors available for shipping. The shipping is $199, not $250. If you decide to cancel the order with your LBS you could have one in about a week. I was completely satisfied with buying my CT700 from them. At that time they would ship it as a kit for my assembly and the shipping was $80. I was told by someone who asked for the same shipping recently that they now only ship assembled trikes. Too bad because it was a good savings and not a problem to assemble.

Scubaquarius 07-27-20 06:58 AM

I think that sounds like a good idea. I hate to waste so much of the summer waiting.

Thanks,
Scubaquarius

GeezyRider 08-11-20 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by VegasTriker (Post 21607078)
The importer for Performer trikes is RBR in State College, PA. There is one review for the Performer Trike X dating back to 2014 on Bentrider. https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=9425 Check out the list of reviews on the site and you may find some newer reviews. You can see all 6 models at the RBR site https://rbr.info/index.php/product-c...former-trikes/ There are not a lot of dealers outside of RBR itself. Utah Trikes is not a dealer so beyond one older youtube video they don't seem to have much available on the trike.

Since I purchased my Catrike Trail about 10 years ago, I haven't been in tune with the trike market. My memory is kind of fuzzy on this but did Actionbent have a trike model called the Performer and, did Actionbent eventually morph into the Perfomer brand? Or, did Perfomer just come along shortly behind Actionbent in the recumbent market? What are your recollections about the emergence of Performer?

As an aside, shortly before I purchased my Catrike a friend acquired a trike from Actionbent and it was pretty impressive for not much money. He's still riding it.

Sorry to revive a seemingly dead thread with an irrelevant question.

Notso_fastLane 08-12-20 07:57 AM

I think Actionbents in the US went out of business around 2010. I only know this because I bought one of the last stock from the former owner of Actionbents (in Seattle) that he was selling on ebay (I got a great deal).

Not sure about Performer, though. Actionbents were selling models from the Taiwanese (I think) maker TW-bents. I think they either changed, or were bought by Performer, around that time, but I don't follow the market or companies that closely.

Scubaquarius 08-12-20 10:52 AM

Thanks guys...great riding to you,
Scubaquarius

dalz102 09-24-20 09:28 AM

Scubaquarius, are you an Arkansan? I live in LR & my wife is a trike rider.