Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Wheel value questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1218201)

Mattdiano 11-24-20 04:00 PM

Wheel value questions
 
I have some vintage wheelsets, some with Campy Record and some with Dura Ace hubs. Is it an easier sell to take everything apart and sell the hubs bare, list the rims, in case someone wants them, or should i leave the wheelsets intact and sell that way?

Second question: I have a pair of Campagnolo Victory Strada wheels, with Campy Record hubs. Tubular rims, with original Vittoria tires!. They even hold air! I put 100 psi in them and let them sit for a week! I would never advocate riding these, but amazing that 30 year old sew-ups hold air. My question: Should I leave these intact, tires and everything, for that one guy doing a period specific restore, or pull the tires off and junk them, and then go with whatever the advice for my above question is? The tires are old, and show it, not in great shape, so just not sure what to do. I appreciate all the help!!

WGB 11-24-20 04:54 PM

Unless they're in great shape no one seems to want orphan (used) tubular rims. Most people say rip'em down for the hubs and flog those. I'd say add photos and offer whole on here. I'm in Canada and can't find cheap tubular rimsets anywhere. I get shipping can be a hassle but might be worth keeping together

SJX426 11-24-20 04:56 PM

Mattdiano I would ride them! They are nice and cured now!

For the few of us who ride sew-ups, i would prefer full wheel set. As a seller, I would break them down and expect very little for the rims and tires. Only spokes I would be interested in are DB SS.

Where are you located?

Those wheel sets would go for $75 to $200 depending on the market. High flange or low?

Mattdiano 11-24-20 05:22 PM


Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 21804899)
Mattdiano I would ride them! They are nice and cured now!

For the few of us who ride sew-ups, i would prefer full wheel set. As a seller, I would break them down and expect very little for the rims and tires. Only spokes I would be interested in are DB SS.

Where are you located?

Those wheel sets would go for $75 to $200 depending on the market. High flange or low?

I am in Denver, CO...here are a couple of pics. I was going to clean them up first, but you get the idea. Spokes are SB, but I have a few wheelsets with DB SS spokes...
Curved levers on the skewers. But look at those 30 year old tires. Lean those into a curve and that "curing" would rub right off!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...45ae5d73b3.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...140f08d5d7.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cae5e55f6b.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3d6031a821.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d25e4a3d97.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8db566a788.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af0b874609.jpg

Mattdiano 11-24-20 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by WGB (Post 21804897)
Unless they're in great shape no one seems to want orphan (used) tubular rims. Most people say rip'em down for the hubs and flog those. I'd say add photos and offer whole on here. I'm in Canada and can't find cheap tubular rimsets anywhere. I get shipping can be a hassle but might be worth keeping together

Thanks WGB! I will have to get pics for these wheelsets. Just seems a shame to tear them down. I get a pretty good shipping rate with FedEx. Just shipped a frame from CO to MN for $35

WGB 11-24-20 05:43 PM

Pm sent

WGB 11-24-20 06:11 PM

Ps. A few weeks ago I rode 170km on a very, very old tubular front wheel. Halfway through I noted tiny little cracks has formed in the tread. I convinced myself it was safe as it was all flat terrain. I made it home safely but looking back probably my worst cycling decision ever, even though that tire looked way better than those on your rims do.

Mad Honk 11-24-20 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mattdiano (Post 21804931)
Thanks WGB! I will have to get pics for these wheelsets. Just seems a shame to tear them down. I get a pretty good shipping rate with FedEx. Just shipped a frame from CO to MN for $35

Sell them to Wes. I sent him a bike this year that they will fit on, and give him the right ride qualities that the frame deserves. Smiles, MH

Mattdiano 11-24-20 06:35 PM


Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21805008)
Sell them to Wes. I sent him a bike this year that they will fit on, and give him the right ride qualities that the frame deserves. Smiles, MH

Did that Peleton you sent him look anything like this one.....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...85046e9c1b.jpg

Mad Honk 11-24-20 06:57 PM

No, yours is far newer. Look into post 2234 in the C&V forums for the: In Search Of section. The bike was one I was able to save after it came into our shop for a broken drop out back in the day. After replacement of the DS drop out it was repainted with Imron paint but not decaled. After some issues here it went in to Pro-Kote Indy for new paint job, and got some new decals. I'm thinking it will be a great bike when finished. Smiles, MH

Mattdiano 11-24-20 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21805053)
No, yours is far newer. Look into post 2234 in the C&V forums for the: In Search Of section. The bike was one I was able to save after it came into our shop for a broken drop out back in the day. After replacement of the DS drop out it was repainted with Imron paint but not decaled. After some issues here it went in to Pro-Kote Indy for new paint job, and got some new decals. I'm thinking it will be a great bike when finished. Smiles, MH

Sounds like it will be a great bike, and went to a good home. You don't know anyone who will fix a carbon fiber drop-out, do you? I had a chance to pick up a De Rosa Planet, in my size, with a ruined rear drop-out. If I could get that fixed.....man I would love to build that frame!

ramzilla 11-24-20 08:41 PM

Those wheels look great. Please don't disassemble them. All they need are some new tires to be good as new.

Mattdiano 11-24-20 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by ramzilla (Post 21805184)
Those wheels look great. Please don't disassemble them. All they need are some new tires to be good as new.

They are not getting taken apart, they are going to live in the land of free healthcare and expensive beer!!

SJX426 11-25-20 06:09 AM

@Mattdiano - Uncle on the tires! Very nice wheel set!. It is one of those assemblies that is more than the sum of the parts.
@WGB I have kept an eye out for tubular rims for several years. Most of mine have been a result of CL purchases locally. Not many in the stash are Campagnolo. Mavic GL330) make up the bulk with a couple of sets of Nisi and some others.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...88859d09_b.jpgSew Up rims on Flickr

WGB 11-25-20 08:05 AM

@SJX426 - Don't have any 40 hole tubular rims do you? I have an NOS set of Maillard hubs and a suitable freewheel and I have a 27 inch 40 hole but it's clincher and I want to tour on tubulars............

SJX426 11-28-20 07:11 AM

@WGB - No. I am torn between 36 and 32 and have a variety of each. Fun to try to match hubs!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.