Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   1960 Schwinn Traveler 2 speed coaster brake $??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1120684)

ford1953jimbi 09-02-17 11:23 AM

1960 Schwinn Traveler 2 speed coaster brake $???

11 Attachment(s)
I have my dad's old Schwinn Traveler 2 speed coaster brake bike I would like to sell, but don't have any idea what price to ask. Using an online site and the serial number, it indicates it was built in Chicago in 1960. I have seen many crazy prices on Ebay and Craigslist. Can anyone give me a idea as where to start? It appears to have the original tires and rims. Thanks for any help you can give me. 9/03/2017 First pictures taken in garage because raining, so took some more outside today. Sorry I don't know how to rotate them.

Metacortex 09-02-17 02:55 PM

It appears to still have the original saddle bag (a big plus) but the lighting equipment is missing. A Traveler of that vintage and condition could be worth $300 or more, depending on where it is located.

http://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat...60/1959_15.jpg

Bianchigirll 09-02-17 03:05 PM

That is a great looking bike!!

oddjob2 09-03-17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Metacortex (Post 19836213)
It appears to still have the original saddle bag (a big plus) but the lighting equipment is missing. A Traveler of that vintage and condition could be worth $300 or more, depending on where it is located.

+1. That bag is worth a lot, but should be sold with the bike.

wrk101 09-03-17 03:59 PM

Crazy prices SOLD or crazy prices ASKING. See the $10,000 Colnago for an example of crazy price asking. Asking price on ebay means nothing. Sold prices mean something, but then you have all the fees and the need to carefully pack and ship the bike.

ford1953jimbi 09-03-17 04:46 PM

I really don't want to mess with shipping. I am just looking for a price to ask on Craigslist.

3alarmer 09-05-17 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ford1953jimbi (Post 19838176)
I really don't want to mess with shipping. I am just looking for a price to ask on Craigslist.

...CL pricing is often dependent on location. I live in Sacramento, and I think you could easily get $300 for that bike in that condition (if it's also in decent mechanical condition) here on CL. There are places in the US where that's more difficult or impossible.

thinktubes 09-05-17 11:34 AM

That's a nice example of a vintage schwinn.

If you're in a major market, you should be able to get $300 on CL.

Be prepared to field tons of low-ball offers, trades, and requests to ship.

I just sold a nice vintage Chicago Schwinn BMX on CL. It took 4 months for a serious buyer to come though and I'm in Chicago.

The buyer was a collector of vintage Chicago schwinn BMX and paid the asking price. Interestingly, he was from the East coast and was in town visiting family.

ford1953jimbi 09-06-17 11:22 AM

Thank you all for your help.I live outside Raleigh,NC. Not sure if you consider that a "major area" or not. After reading your posts, I plan to put it on CL for somewhat over $300 to give myself some wiggle room. Thanks again.

thinktubes 09-06-17 09:20 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

Here's my experience with setting a price:

Too high: 1 or 2 bites per week that don't pan out

Too low: lots of immediate offers to come over "right now"

Just right: 4 to 5 offers per week, one of which results in a sale

Serious buyers will usually give you a phone number.

Glws!

3alarmer 09-06-17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ford1953jimbi (Post 19844301)
Thank you all for your help.I live outside Raleigh,NC. Not sure if you consider that a "major area" or not. After reading your posts, I plan to put it on CL for somewhat over $300 to give myself some wiggle room. Thanks again.

...mention the Bendix 2 speed hub in your ad. The Schwinn guys really :love: Bendix hubs.

ford1953jimbi 09-07-17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 19845671)
...mention the Bendix 2 speed hub in your ad. The Schwinn guys really :love: Bendix hubs.

Thanks, I will edit CL to show it has a Bendix hub and Bendix coaster brake. The pictures showed that, but the text only said 2 speed hub and coaster brake.

wrk101 09-08-17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ford1953jimbi (Post 19844301)

It's all about how far outside Raleigh you live. I live outside Asheville, NC but at 30 minutes away, I rarely get buyers that will drive that far. So I put in my ads that I will meet them in Asheville at a mutually convenient time. It also keeps people from coming to my house.

Now about half my sales go to repeat customers who do meet me at my workshop and tend to take home more stuff than they planned.

ford1953jimbi 09-13-17 12:42 PM

I just sold the bike today. I put it on CL for $395(figuring I would come down to $300 if necessary).
A guy who has 80 vintage bikes, and races bikes, said he would give me $250, if I didn't sell it. He lived 56 miles from me.I said I would keep him in mind.
A day later, he told me he worked in Raleigh, about 20 miles from my house, and asked if I ever came to Raleigh. I said I come in sometimes to shop at Costco.
The next day he offered me $280. I am leaving town for several weeks, so I told him he could have it for $300.
He asked if I would bring it to his workplace, so I did today.
Thanks for all your help in regard to pricing and being flexible. Before I asked for your help, I planned to put it on CL for $250.

thinktubes 09-13-17 06:49 PM

:thumb:

rennfaron 07-30-19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ford1953jimbi (Post 19859301)
I just sold the bike today. I put it on CL for $395(figuring I would come down to $300 if necessary).
A guy who has 80 vintage bikes, and races bikes, said he would give me $250, if I didn't sell it. He lived 56 miles from me.I said I would keep him in mind.
A day later, he told me he worked in Raleigh, about 20 miles from my house, and asked if I ever came to Raleigh. I said I come in sometimes to shop at Costco.
The next day he offered me $280. I am leaving town for several weeks, so I told him he could have it for $300.
He asked if I would bring it to his workplace, so I did today.
Thanks for all your help in regard to pricing and being flexible. Before I asked for your help, I planned to put it on CL for $250.

I was looking through traveler info and came across this. I got your dad's bike from a guy named Steve selling it on ebay for $300 (I think he is myrtle beach). I assume it was the guy you sold it to and he was just trying to get out of the bike what he paid for it. I have quite a few travelers so it is in good company over here. Thanks.

ford1953jimbi 08-06-19 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rennfaron (Post 21051827)
I was looking through traveler info and came across this. I got your dad's bike from a guy named Steve selling it on ebay for $300 (I think he is myrtle beach). I assume it was the guy you sold it to and he was just trying to get out of the bike what he paid for it. I have quite a few travelers so it is in good company over here. Thanks.

Did it have a registration sticker from Marion, Iowa on the frame? If so, that is it. Glad it is in good hands.