Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Why are folding bikes more fun than regular sized bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1212275)

morgothaod 09-05-20 05:40 PM

Why are folding bikes more fun than regular sized bikes?

In the sticky I read the comment, "As for the fun factor, small-wheeled bikes are more fun to ride than big-wheelers, so in that respect they are closer to toys than big-wheelers."

I'm curious as to why this statement is true! I have never been on a folding bike before. What am I missing out on?

rhenning 09-05-20 07:12 PM

That is only true depending on the ride, the bike and the rider. Such blanket statements drive me nuts. All bikes and almost all rides are fun or at least a new experience. Roger

DeadGrandpa 09-05-20 07:47 PM

My folding bike is fun, or at least it was until I found I averaged about 1mph slower than on my regular bike. Then I weighed each of them and found the folder was 7 pounds heavier. Dang IGH and steel frame with hinges. Maybe some variations are lighter but have other compromises.

fietsbob 09-05-20 10:26 PM

Endorphins..

Jipe 09-06-20 02:22 AM

Its physics: small wheels have less inertia and less gyroscopic effect than bigger wheels this change the behavior of the wheel and influence the behavior of the bike.

But of course the whole frame design has also an influence on the behavior of the bike, not only the wheels size.

linberl 09-06-20 10:45 AM

It's not because it folds, it is because it has smaller wheels. Minovelos are more fun, too. Small wheel bikes and more nimble and accelerate faster. So they just feel less cumbersome than full sized bikes. I think the difference is much more notable in city riding, with starts and stops, and lots of dodging of cars and obstacles. I can't imagine they'd be more fun on rocky mountain trails, lol.

Nyah 09-06-20 01:52 PM

"Smaller wheels are more fun because at any moment while on them, your next could be spent flat on your ass. In contrast, a 700c wheeled bicycle practically keeps itself upright."

-Unknown

linberl 09-06-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nyah (Post 21680893)
"Smaller wheels are more fun because at any moment while on them, your next could be spent flat on your ass. In contrast, a 700c wheeled bicycle practically keeps itself upright."

-Unknown

Smaller wheels are more fun because you can just put your feet down and be instantly stable. A 700c wheeled bicycle makes an endo a much more painful experience.

bikebikebike 09-06-20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 21680911)
Smaller wheels are more fun because you can just put your feet down and be instantly stable. A 700c wheeled bicycle makes an endo a much more painful experience.

Having taught several older folks to ride , the ability to do this is under rated for noobs who are getting their sea legs
I am getting older and stiffer, and the step through is appreciated

The other thing is having a bike in your trunk makes casual riding on impulse, right there at your fingertips

What is "twitchy" to some is nimble to those who can use it to advantage.

seat_boy 09-06-20 06:59 PM

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Every bike is stable when your foot is down.

In my experience, a smaller wheel bikes is slightly more endo prone, because objects on the road are bigger relative to the tires. The opposite side of this idea is why 29ers took over mountain bikes... the bigger wheels roll over stuff more securely.

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 21680911)

linberl 09-06-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by seat_boy (Post 21681306)
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Every bike is stable when your foot is down.

In my experience, a smaller wheel bikes is slightly more endo prone, because objects on the road are bigger relative to the tires. The opposite side of this idea is why 29ers took over mountain bikes... the bigger wheels roll over stuff more securely.

If you've gone over the bars on a smaller wheeled bike, you must be really talented, lol. I'm a senior citizen, and every time I've encountered something that created instability, I just hit the brakes and let the back of the bike hit me in the butt while planting both feet solidly on the ground. Worst I've ever had was a small butt bruise from the nose of the saddle. Same with emergency stops in front of cars - just stand hard and fast and hang onto the bars.

Schwinnsta 09-06-20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 21681355)
If you've gone over the bars on a smaller wheeled bike, you must be really talented, lol. I'm a senior citizen, and every time I've encountered something that created instability, I just hit the brakes and let the back of the bike hit me in the butt while planting both feet solidly on the ground. Worst I've ever had was a small butt bruise from the nose of the saddle. Same with emergency stops in front of cars - just stand hard and fast and hang onto the bars.

I must be talented. I hit a pot hole in the rain and sailed over the bars on my Brompton. It's not that hard to do. I do think the Brompton rules in the downtown traffic.

linberl 09-07-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta (Post 21681464)
I must be talented. I hit a pot hole in the rain and sailed over the bars on my Brompton. It's not that hard to do. I do think the Brompton rules in the downtown traffic.

Ooh, sorry that happened to you. I've hit some big potholes in the dark on my Bike Friday pakiT but never endo'd. Maybe the much lighter bike weight has something to do with it since the wheels are the same size. I've always been able to plant and hang on, although I've come close to the ground sideways once or twice; my core isn't all that strong but fortunately the legs manage.

Schwinnsta 09-07-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 21681946)
Ooh, sorry that happened to you. I've hit some big potholes in the dark on my Bike Friday pakiT but never endo'd. Maybe the much lighter bike weight has something to do with it since the wheels are the same size. I've always been able to plant and hang on, although I've come close to the ground sideways once or twice; my core isn't all that strong but fortunately the legs manage.

No the heavier the bike the less likely. Its a matter of the height your center of gravity. I may be taller and that may make a difference. I have had it happen twice. In the second case I thought I could go over the lip in the curb and misjudged.

linberl 09-07-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta (Post 21682081)
No the heavier the bike the less likely. Its a matter of the height your center of gravity. I may be taller and that may make a difference. I have had it happen twice. In the second case I thought I could go over the lip in the curb and misjudged.

I get the heavier the bike thing except that I can control and hold a lighter bike, not a heavier one. Without the human element, sure the heavier bike is less likely to flip. But my ability to hold and control is definitely improved by the lighter weight. And I am sure you are taller than me, damn near everyone is, lol.

reppans 09-07-20 04:47 PM

These are all kind of inter-related but, I find folders more fun because:
- It’s more likely to be me when I need it.
- I can take it more place.
- Eliminates theft anxiety if I don’t need to lock it outside unattended.

Nyah 09-07-20 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by reppans (Post 21682710)
These are all kind of inter-related but, I find folders more fun because:
- It’s more likely to be me when I need it.
- I can take it more place.
- Eliminates theft anxiety if I don’t need to lock it outside unattended.

Those are all reasons that I want one. As soon as someone offers a convenient, secure fold (e.g. Dahon or Brompton) with proper drop-bars and chromoly frame/fork, I'll put my order in for one.

GTA 09-08-20 02:50 AM

You'll never see such discussions in road bike forums. That's why folding bike have more fun. :-)

Fentuz 09-08-20 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nyah (Post 21683151)
Those are all reasons that I want one. As soon as someone offers a convenient, secure fold (e.g. Dahon or Brompton) with proper drop-bars and chromoly frame/fork, I'll put my order in for one.

Build one from a dahon speed or a dahon vitesse

BikeLite 09-09-20 08:27 AM

riding one makes me feel and look like a clown at a circus = more fun

Nyah 09-11-20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fentuz (Post 21683272)
Build one from a dahon speed or a dahon vitesse

It's my fear of the unknown. Is it easy enough to make the handlebars be at the height that I want them to be, such as level with my chosen height for the saddle? I'm 5'6" and have a 29.5" inseam, if that helps to know.

Fentuz 09-11-20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nyah (Post 21689137)
It's my fear of the unknown. Is it easy enough to make the handlebars be at the height that I want them to be, such as level with my chosen height for the saddle? I'm 5'6" and have a 29.5" inseam, if that helps to know.

well it depends of your “diy” skills and tool box. There is nothing difficult and everything challenging is on youtube. I knew very little about bike mechanic 1 year ago and with covid restrictions, I rebuilt 3 bikes from bear frame with the help of youtube.

regarding the handle heights, there are adaptors, the genuine dahon/tern are good, the litepro i had was not for this application (see helios TT subject).

by the way, nice rides in your part of the world

1nterceptor 09-13-20 10:53 AM

Can easily bring on trips. :)
Quick handling a plus in crowded cities. :D

FoldingSpace 09-13-20 02:20 PM

I found my Tern eclipse p20 - despite having 26 inch wheels- is waaaaaay more controllable than my full sized bike and the center of gravity lets me balance at a full stop much more easily- also more flingable in the bmx sense for hopping curbs and potholes.

so I guess I agree but it’s not just the wheel size.

Boat_Ship 09-14-20 12:39 AM

I have been riding my old 26" wheels bike for many years (more than 7) but I bought, recently, a new 16" wheels folder as my pet bike.

My pet bike is cute and adorable both folded and un-folded, I have been spending time to play around with her at home as much time as riding her outside.

When we go out while not riding, we can go anywhere without any problem as my girl is small.

No matter we are having meals together in a restaurant or walking shops in a mall, we are always having fun and being so happy together.

Also, occasionally we enjoyed admiration or compliments of others the beauty and cutie of her look.

I am regularly buying accessories for my pet bike as well and I still not fed up with doing that... ...yet.

But I still love my old bike...
Oh man !