Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   School me on tooth difference in performance (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178431)

Digger Goreman 07-15-19 04:51 PM

School me on tooth difference in performance

Just replaced a triple ring 28/38/48 with a triple 22/32/42.... Haven't put my bike through the paces yet. What can I expect and why? Make the explanation as semi-technical as you like... I enjoy learning new things, especially on my bike!

shelbyfv 07-15-19 06:22 PM

Your bike will be easier to pedal.

Mountain Mitch 07-15-19 06:36 PM

☝️ I agree!

Every time you pedal a circle you move the bike ‘X’ teeth. So with your new gearing you will move the bike fewer ‘teeth’ than with your former chain ring. Now, of course, that also depends on your cassette, but since you don’t say you have changed that it should be irrelevant.

If the gear on you are using on your cassette has 24 teeth then with every cycle the old chain ring (large gear) would rotate the tires 48/24 or 2Xs. The new one will rotate the tires 42/24 or 1.75Xs. Less distance equals less effort.

Slightspeed 07-15-19 07:05 PM

It will easier to pedal up hills, but on flat roads you will go slower with similar effort.

CycleryNorth81 07-15-19 07:34 PM

28/38/48= 0.015
22/32/42= 0.016

Difference of one thousanth.

Shimagnolo 07-15-19 07:47 PM

Lemme get this straight:
The OP substituted smaller chainrings, having no idea what difference will be?:foo:

Digger Goreman 07-15-19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 21028931)
Lemme get this straight:
The OP substituted smaller chainrings, having no idea what difference will be?:foo:

Ignorance is bliss, and I'm a happy man!

mihlbach 07-15-19 09:48 PM

If the gear ratios you mostly find yourself using are within the overlap between your old and new crankset, you won’t notice any difference.

wipekitty 07-15-19 10:40 PM

You'll have easier gearing for going up hills in the small chainring, but assuming the same rear cassette (gearing), you will have to spin very quickly to make the bike go the same speed in the big chainring.

I enjoy numbers, and there are a few gear calculators that can give you additional data using chainring and cassette sizes. First, this one (https://www.bikecalc.com) gives you a bunch of information, including the useful speed at cadence, or how fast the bike will go given the RPM of your pedaling. Green combinations are faster/harder to pedal; red combinations are slower/easier to pedal.

There's also the Sheldon Brown gear calculator (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html) which provides the very interesting meters of development - how far your bike will travel forward with each rotation of the pedals. You can do some math and, for example, calculate how many times you'll need to turn the pedals per mile in each gear. This is probably useful only if you're on long solo rides and need something to focus on while passing the time.

CliffordK 07-15-19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21028627)
School me on tooth difference in performance

The fewer front teeth that remain... is indicative of pushing the performance envelope just a little too far.

JonathanGennick 07-16-19 06:01 AM

Just replaced a triple ring 28/38/48 with a triple 22/32/42.... Haven't put my bike through the paces yet. What can I expect and why?

Your lowest gear combination will be easier to pedal than before. Your highest gear combination will be easier to pedal than before. Why? Because, you changed your gearing :D.

mstateglfr 07-16-19 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21029079)

Hopefully you dropped the front derailleur down a bit too since thats kinda pretty important.

indyfabz 07-16-19 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21029079)

Then why did you start this thread?

Retro Grouch 07-16-19 10:18 AM

Just replaced a triple ring 28/38/48 with a triple 22/32/42.... Haven't put my bike through the paces yet. What can I expect and why? Make the explanation as semi-technical as you like... I enjoy learning new things, especially on my bike!

Maybe no performance difference at all, particularly if you ride mostly flat roads.

If you had difficulty climbing up some of the hills in your area with your previous crankset, you are going to have less difficulty climbing up the hills with your new one.
If you found yourself running out of gears and freewheeling on the downhills previously, you are going to run out of gears and find yourself freewheeling even sooner with your new crankset.

Caliper 07-16-19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 21028849)
on flat roads you will go slower with similar effort.

False. Power is still power. Similar effort will land you at a similar speed, just at a smaller cog on the cassette, or spinning at a higher cadence.

Leisesturm 07-16-19 03:04 PM

Is the o.p.'s chain slightly too long now? Seems like it should need a link out. At least the chain should have been thought about. Ignorance is not always bliss.

BirdsBikeBinocs 07-16-19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21029610)

To have a question answered. And he's happy to have got that answer. Pretty legit if you ask me. Why the noise.??

indyfabz 07-17-19 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs (Post 21030968)
To have a question answered. And he's happy to have got that answer. Pretty legit if you ask me. Why the noise.??

Uh...See post #7 .

Digger Goreman 07-18-19 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21029795)
Maybe no performance difference at all, particularly if you ride mostly flat roads.

If you had difficulty climbing up some of the hills in your area with your previous crankset, you are going to have less difficulty climbing up the hills with your new one.
If you found yourself running out of gears and freewheeling on the downhills previously, you are going to run out of gears and find yourself freewheeling even sooner with your new crankset.

Bingo, this seems to be the very "thing": uphills are easier and, while not freewheeling on the downhills yet, top gear is more often used. Thanks Retro Grouch!

Digger Goreman 07-18-19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21029157)
You'll have easier gearing for going up hills in the small chainring, but assuming the same rear cassette (gearing), you will have to spin very quickly to make the bike go the same speed in the big chainring.

I enjoy numbers, and there are a few gear calculators that can give you additional data using chainring and cassette sizes. First, this one (https://www.bikecalc.com) gives you a bunch of information, including the useful speed at cadence, or how fast the bike will go given the RPM of your pedaling. Green combinations are faster/harder to pedal; red combinations are slower/easier to pedal.

There's also the Sheldon Brown gear calculator (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html) which provides the very interesting meters of development - how far your bike will travel forward with each rotation of the pedals. You can do some math and, for example, calculate how many times you'll need to turn the pedals per mile in each gear. This is probably useful only if you're on long solo rides and need something to focus on while passing the time.

Thanks, Wipekitty, I will check those out!

Digger Goreman 07-18-19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21029604)
Hopefully you dropped the front derailleur down a bit too since thats kinda pretty important.

I had the LBS do the work.

Digger Goreman 07-18-19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21029610)

Because learning, too, is bliss....

Digger Goreman 07-18-19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 21030375)
Is the o.p.'s chain slightly too long now? Seems like it should need a link out. At least the chain should have been thought about. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Thanks, the LBS tech talked about that and I forgot to ask if he did. I can do that part if necessary :)

Road Fan 07-18-19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 (Post 21028912)
28/38/48= 0.015
22/32/42= 0.016

Difference of one thousanth.

How did you get this?
48/42 = 1.14

Retro Grouch 07-19-19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 21033951)
How did you get this?
48/42 = 1.14

28 divided by 38 divided by 48. :)