Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Poll: Which one stays, ehich one goes . . . (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1207119)

ddeand 07-10-20 02:49 PM

Poll: Which one stays, ehich one goes . . .

[Title should say “. . . which one goes.”]

Help me out here and vote for one of these to stay. Which one would you keep?

One of these great bikes will be off-loaded in the next few months to make way for an even more interesting project. I enjoy both of them equally, and they are both comfortable to ride. They are set up nicely for me, weigh within a pound of each other, and are perfect fits. Here’s what I have:

1974 Raleigh International: mostly original and mid-level components - can take larger tires for gravel (as pictured) - weighs 22 lbs - smooth, stable ride.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2db18e887.jpeg
1987 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman: almost all 8-speed Dura-Ace setup - quick yet stable - weighs 21 lbs - limited to 28mm tires.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...445c71b0b.jpeg

bikemig 07-10-20 02:59 PM

I'd keep the International unless it's my size in which case I'll save you a tough choice by taking it off your hands.

Piff 07-10-20 03:01 PM

Centurion Ironman bikes are still plentiful. I'd keep the International.

What's the new project?

droppedandlost 07-10-20 03:01 PM

International stays

squirtdad 07-10-20 03:03 PM

tough one, from an illogical point...which one makes you smile more, the one when you get on you think, "I forgot how much fun this bike."...keep that one Logically I would say get rid of the one that has the most overlap with the new project....ie new project can take larger than 28 get rid of the raleigh

RiddleOfSteel 07-10-20 03:14 PM

How about the Dura-Ace on the International? :) The International is a beautiful frame in a beautiful color. IM's in pink and yellow never do it for me, and a prettier frame deserves the prettier parts. IM's have Shimano 105 on them all the time, so hanging 105 on it again wouldn't make it un-sellable.

iab 07-10-20 03:19 PM

I'd keep the one that is most different than your even more interesting project.

RobbieTunes 07-10-20 03:37 PM

As I have both, it's still a tossup.

The International can be built to be versatile, but it's a tradeoff. Longer tradition, better clearance, heavier, and limited on the # of speeds, etc. Will be sort of heavy no matter what. If you ride with people and need to keep up to 16mph plus and it's not flat, you will get some great legs eventually. I think it's by far the prettier of the two. Such an elegant frame. Easy for touring, not for pace lines.

The Miami Vice is as iconic, but for different reasons. It was Joe Sixpack's tri-bike and flipped off the world with it's colors. Easy to make fast, no eyelets, limited clearance to 700x25 and "smallish" 700x28's. It will do 100 miles solo or in a pace line and not beat you up or make you tired. Chicks dig it.

I voted Ironman, but I'm still building my International and its a bit more fun to deal with the funky old stuff. For my type of riding, were I to have an Ironman already, I'd take the International over another Ironman, but if I could only have one, I'm not sure I can ride SW WI, Wildwood MO, or Thunder Ridge on the International..

clubman 07-10-20 03:43 PM

If you're at an age where gravel trails and paths are more attractive than road riding, it's the International. Tough choice.

ddeand 07-10-20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 21580374)
Centurion Ironman bikes are still plentiful. I'd keep the International.

What's the new project?

Thanks for input. The new project is an early 1980s Serotta Club Special.

rhm 07-10-20 07:24 PM

International stays, 'cuz it has eyelets for fenders.

But it needs fenders. Just looks so sad without them. White ones, if you can find them.

BFisher 07-10-20 07:39 PM

International.

More versatile than the Ironman. The color and chrome lugs/socks are so classy.

This from a very happy Ironman owner.

ascherer 07-10-20 07:47 PM

International is the keeper. RobbieTunes what do you mean by limited # of speeds?

ofajen 07-10-20 08:10 PM

I’d keep the International, but then I now think of 32s as the narrowest useful tire.

Otto

Velo Mule 07-10-20 08:16 PM

I had a Serotta Club Special back in the early 80's. It is a great bike that you can ride all day, or at least I could when I was in my early 20's. An excellent club race bike too. Enjoy,

I wish I could find a picture of it.

nlerner 07-10-20 08:36 PM

Intl as a 650b conversion.

Classtime 07-10-20 09:57 PM

Club Special replaces the IM☹️

Lascauxcaveman 07-10-20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21580883)
International is the keeper. RobbieTunes what do you mean by limited # of speeds?

Yeah, I don't get that at all?

Regardless, I do intend to own a pink and yellow Ironman someday.

repechage 07-11-20 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by iab (Post 21580403)
I'd keep the one that is most different than your even more interesting project.

Yes- best advice

Fahrenheit531 07-11-20 10:48 AM

Raleigh. Not even close. Bonus: Ironmans (Ironmen?) are a pretty easy acquisition if you change your mind later.

USAZorro 07-11-20 11:17 AM

International... Because I'm biased. :innocent:

non-fixie 07-11-20 11:46 AM

To each his own. For me, it'd be no contest. The Raleigh is much more versatile, and - dare I say it? - much prettier.

Murray Missile 07-11-20 01:07 PM

The Raleigh hands down for me. I'm in the process of culling the herd myself. I'm selling off some higher end bikes and keeping some lower end ones just because they're uncommon or unique in some manner or have some feature that satisfies my sense of nostalgia for arguably "better times". Nothing logical about it, it's all based on personal whims. I sold a nice '86 Schwinn Prelude and kept a lower end '78 Soma Prestige that wasn't quite as nice but it was the same color as a Nishiki a good friend had in HS, chrome "socks" and barcons. It is more satisfying to ride that old Soma than it was to ride the Schwinn even though the Schwinn handled better and was a little lighter. The Schwinn was nice but the Soma takes me back 50 years every time I get on it. Dumb I know but that's my criteria these days.

Narhay 07-11-20 01:35 PM

Find more space at home for 3 bikes.

jdawginsc 07-11-20 03:39 PM

Though not a fan of either marquee...

I’d keep both if they are great rides to you, and set them up differently...

if keeping one, the Raleigh. Classic, gravel ready, light touring ready, plus brisk enough for club rides.