Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   4 bikes, 100 miles (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182451)

delbiker1 08-29-19 06:11 PM

4 bikes, 100 miles

I did not plan to do this. My plan was to get up early and spend a large part of the day on a bicycle. I got up early but allowed myself to fiddle with some things around the house. Finally kick started myself, got my bike stuff together and hit the road a couple of minutes before 8:00. I headed into the wind, out of the north at 10 to 12 mph. I was on my early 90's Ochsner steel. I stayed on rural roads as much as possible and by the time I got back to my house at 11 am I had 43 miles. I had food and hydration and did a couple of minor chores, then got back on the road but on my Schwinn SS DBX, aluminum. I headed east toward the beach. After checking out the beach and boardwalk I pedaled north to the Indian River Inlet bridge. After crossing the inlet I turned around and pedaled south and then west to my house, 24 miles on the Schwinn. I was taking it easy, not pushing and not concerned about the time and speed. Ingested more fuel and hydration at home and surfed the web for awhile. I decided to head back to the beach, now on my 2014 Orbea Avant carbon fiber, and get a slice of pizza. A place called Pompadoro's that has 8 pizzas with different toppings available by the slice. Order what you want, they pop it in the oven to heat it up and 5 minutes later, really good, thin crust pizza! I took a roundabout way home and had 17 miles on that leg. I relaxed a bit while at home, filled up my water bottles and headed back out again, this time on my Airborne Zeppelin titanium. 16 miles later I was back home again, 100 miles riding 4 different bikes. All said and done, 6:45 pm, a few minutes shy of 11 hours from start to finish. I would guesstimate around 8 hours of actual riding time. Pretty nice way to spend a beautiful day in south-coastal Delaware.

one4smoke 08-29-19 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 21098955)
I did not plan to do this. My plan was to get up early and spend a large part of the day on a bicycle. I got up early but allowed myself to fiddle with some things around the house. Finally kick started myself, got my bike stuff together and hit the road a couple of minutes before 8:00. I headed into the wind, out of the north at 10 to 12 mph. I was on my early 90's Ochsner steel. I stayed on rural roads as much as possible and by the time I got back to my house at 10 am I had 43 miles. I had food and hydration and did a couple of minor chores, then got back on the road but on my Schwinn SS DBX, aluminum. I headed east toward the beach. After checking out the beach and boardwalk I pedaled north to the Indian River Inlet bridge. After crossing the inlet I turned around and pedaled south and then west to my house, 24 miles on the Schwinn. I was taking it easy, not pushing and not concerned about the time and speed. Ingested more fuel and hydration at home and surfed the web for awhile. I decided to head back to the beach, now on my 2014 Orbea Avant carbon fiber, and get a slice of pizza. A place called Pompadoro's that has 8 pizzas with different toppings available by the slice. Order what you want, they pop it in the oven to heat it up and 5 minutes later, really good, thin crust pizza! I took a roundabout way home and had 17 miles on that leg. I relaxed a bit while at home, filled up my water bottles and headed back out again, this time on my Airborne Zeppelin titanium. 16 miles later I was back home again, 100 miles riding 4 different bikes. All said and done, 6:45 pm, a few minutes shy of 11 hours from start to finish. I would guesstimate around 8 hours of actual riding time. Pretty nice way to spend a beautiful day in south-coastal Delaware.

Sounds like my kind of day! Enjoyed the read... :thumb:

Flip Flop Rider 08-29-19 06:40 PM

that's a good day:)

cecu 08-29-19 11:56 PM

out of curiosity, which was the most enjoyable bike to ride?

cheers

delbiker1 08-30-19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by cecu (Post 21099303)
out of curiosity, which was the most enjoyable bike to ride?

cheers

They are all 4 quite different from each other. I think it is a toss up between the Ochsner steel and the Airborne ti. The least enjoyable for me is Orbea CF even though I have improved the comfort factor with different tires and going back to a more traditional set up. I like the Schwinn a lot but it is quite heavy with rack, basket, heavy duty wheels and wide tires.

horatio 08-30-19 09:31 AM

Great idea. I'll have to try that with my stable one of these days.

Milton Keynes 08-30-19 11:37 AM

Does this count as a century?

livedarklions 08-30-19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21100047)
Does this count as a century?

In my mind, 100 miles within 12 hours, so yes. Per rider, not per bike.

delbiker1 08-30-19 04:19 PM

In my head? Absolutely!

TiHabanero 08-30-19 04:25 PM

Fantastic way to live the day. Oschner's are great bikes. Is it the SL or other?

delbiker1 08-30-19 06:02 PM

TiH, I believe it is Aelle but I am not sure. There was no tubing decal on the bike when I bought it new in 1992. The Aelle I am basing that on a chart that Tmar posted not long ago that showed Columbus tubing by the seat tube. My seat post is 26.4 and according to that chart that is Aelle tubing. However, my memory gets a bit hazy these days. Whatever it is, I have many miles and a lot of pleasure from this bike.

luistim 09-02-19 01:35 PM

4 bikes

wow, Fantastic.
I truly inspired, Let's We make a plan and make a record too.

bobwysiwyg 09-02-19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21100053)
In my mind, 100 miles within 12 hours, so yes. Per rider, not per bike.

So, doing a century is not just doing 100 miles, it only counts if completed within 12 hours?

livedarklions 09-02-19 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21104382)
So, doing a century is not just doing 100 miles, it only counts if completed within 12 hours?

I read that somewhere and thought the 12 hour thing was a universal, but googling that, I now see a lot of people saying 24 hours. It's definitely a century if it's within 12 hours, so the question is academic in this instance, but I'm open to expanding my definition.

Joe Bikerider 09-02-19 06:48 PM

This is great. That 12 hours is bunk, as long as you can stagger in it counts. This makes me interested in a similar plan. I do have four bikes, some which need work and I'm going to see if I can get them running enough. Anyway at least I am motivated to get the Linus going. I'll start with that.

bobwysiwyg 09-02-19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21104681)
I read that somewhere and thought the 12 hour thing was a universal, but googling that, I now see a lot of people saying 24 hours. It's definitely a century if it's within 12 hours, so the question is academic in this instance, but I'm open to expanding my definition.

My question was also academic. At my age I'd be pretty well done at 12 hours, no matter what. I was curious though.