Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1033093)

ColonelSanders 11-02-16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by coominya (Post 19165390)
It wouldn't bother me, at all :love:
If I had seen the two side by side I think I would have bought the Kona over the toughroad-1 I guess I'll just have to wear this one out in a hurry.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YYth6I0eo2...0/DSCF4165.JPG

The AL version of the Big Rove also comes with an aluminium fork, whereas the Cro-Moly version came with a Cro-Moly fork.

Perhaps when running 50mm tyres the fork material wouldn't be so important. :twitchy:

Also in Australia, besides the limited number of Kona dealers, I never saw them discounted to the extent the Toughroad's were, so the Cro-Moly version was always selling for more than the RRP of the Toughroad SLR 1.

I just did a search on Bike Exchange in Australia and did find the following from a bike store in Victoria.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/fl...e-st/102754170

$AUD$1498

coominya 11-03-16 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 19165476)
The AL version of the Big Rove also comes with an aluminium fork, whereas the Cro-Moly version came with a Cro-Moly fork.

Perhaps when running 50mm tyres the fork material wouldn't be so important. :twitchy:

Hmmm. You'd guess they'd have ally forks figured out by now?

Here in an eBay Giant MB auction. I'm not after one but I'll watch it play out just for interest sake.
GIANT Talon 1 Mountain Bike 27.5 650B Aluminium Size M 2014 Great Condition Mtb | eBay GIANT Talon 1
They go for over a grand new

pghchico 11-03-16 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by coominya (Post 19165372)
Very VERY important. I'd scratch the toughroad off my list then if it was me.

I think the SLR2 is going to be off my list, just because of the seat post issue. which is ashame because it had everything else i was looking for. The KONA big rove Al, though is definitely on my list, and i'm encouraged because there is a local dealer.

I'm sure there are some other bikes out there that will fit the bill, most hybrids seem to run 35mm tires, i just need to see which of them have the frame clearence to accept a 50-52mm mtb tire. I already figured into the budget that i would have 2 sets of tires. I guess i just need to get off the internet and make the rounds to the LBS and check out the bikes in person to see which ones would work with the bigger tires.

coominya 11-03-16 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by pghchico (Post 19166121)
I think the SLR2 is going to be off my list, just because of the seat post issue. which is ashame because it had everything else i was looking for. The KONA big rove Al, though is definitely on my list, and i'm encouraged because there is a local dealer.

I guess i just need to get off the internet and make the rounds to the LBS

Make the rounds yes, but certainly look at ALL possible candidates. There is a myriad of bikes out there, it makes choosing the "right one" very difficult now. Best of luck. :)

prj71 11-03-16 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by pghchico (Post 19164236)
BUT when i'm out on the trails i put the seat down a few inches.

That's bad form and bad on your knees.

coominya 11-03-16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 19166998)
That's bad form and bad on your knees.

I wouldn't think so, not the way he describes the riding style which is out of the saddle a lot. Look at BMX seat heights.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...i7tio1_500.jpg

prj71 11-04-16 04:25 AM

Well the Toughroad isn't a BMX bike nor does it have BMX geometry and I doubt he will be doing any BMX tricks with it.

The type of riding he is describing is mountain biking. I'm 80% mountain biker and 20% hybrid bike/gravel biker. As someone who mountain bikes a lot, there is never a need to lower the seat. Nor does anyone I ride with lower the seat. If you want your legs to act as suspension all you need to do is stand up and bend the legs a little. If he was doing some serious downhill riding then a dropper post would be in order. But it sounds like just some light off road use.

Noctilux.95 11-07-16 08:07 PM

What is the widest MB tire you can mount on the Toughroad?

gsa103 11-14-16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 (Post 19176421)
What is the widest MB tire you can mount on the Toughroad?

There's a huge amount of clearance. The fork has 2.90in of clearance at the tire, and similar vertically. Amazingly, the rear actually had more horizontally, maybe slightly less vertically.

You should be able to fit any 2.35in tires and possibly still have room for fenders.

sunnyfield 11-15-16 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 18988110)
That is fair enough too.

When I bought my SLR 2, the store had discounted it by 30%, so it became a real no brainer, but prior to that I was struggling to know which way to go between them.

Because I am a heavy bastard, I actually didn't want the Carbon Seatpost and whilst I do place a value on racks, I wanted the RackTime racks, as they have a great interface built into the rack that easily allows for quick release baskets and trunk bags, whereas the Giant racks are just generic, so no quick release for you. :p

I am also someone who really likes having a Gear Display Indicator on my gears so that I can easily see what gear I am in, and the Sram shifters on the SLR 1, lack this. Now this doesn't matter to everyone, but it does to me, so when I get around to putting XT shifters on my SLR 2, they will have a Gear Display Indicator on them.

Hi ColonelSanders

I am in AU as well, where did u purchase your SLR2? Coz 30% off is real good bargain.

ColonelSanders 11-15-16 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyfield (Post 19192760)
Hi ColonelSanders

I am in AU as well, where did u purchase your SLR2? Coz 30% off is real good bargain.

I bought it from this store, however they don't appear to have that kind of discount going right now.

Depending on which city you live in, I would use bikeexchange.com.au to search for dealers selling Giant bikes.

One in Ashgrove Brisbane at the moment has the Toughroad SLR 2 down from $AUD1,300 to $AUD1,000.

coominya 11-16-16 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyfield (Post 19192760)
Hi ColonelSanders

They seem to have specials just before the new models come out.
This site is a clearing house for aussie specials it seems. I found my TR-1 at a $500 discount off it.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hy...lr-1/102731704

sunnyfield 11-17-16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by coominya (Post 19194815)
They seem to have specials just before the new models come out.
This site is a clearing house for aussie specials it seems. I found my TR-1 at a $500 discount off it.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hy...lr-1/102731704

Just called the Giant sydney today, sales staff said no discount for 2017 version.

Do u recon it is worth purchase 2017 version over 2016 version?

sunnyfield 11-17-16 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 19193415)
I bought it from this store, however they don't appear to have that kind of discount going right now.

Depending on which city you live in, I would use bikeexchange.com.au to search for dealers selling Giant bikes.

One in Ashgrove Brisbane at the moment has the Toughroad SLR 2 down from $AUD1,300 to $AUD1,000.

Thanks buddy, still not decided to go with 2016 version or 17 version or slr1

coominya 11-17-16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyfield (Post 19196889)
Thanks buddy, still not decided to go with 2016 version or 17 version or slr1

The SLR-1 is what I bought, it has definite advantages over the 2 and a few drawbacks in my opinion. I found the plastic (CF) seat tube far too flexible when fully extended to suit my height, not an issue probably if you get the large say and are under 6' or under 90kg. I had to buy the aluminium one as a replacement. The racks came straight off, useless and unsightly. The gearing is nice but I must admit the shifters are noisy, big loud clicks but a very positive shift. All considered I would still buy the -1 if I had the time over.

As for the 17/16 I don't believe there is anything of note separating them besides a different brand set of brakes. And the colour trim of course, baby blue or red

http://bicycle.mt-biker.net/wp-conte.../01/0118-3.jpg

ColonelSanders 11-17-16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyfield (Post 19196886)
Just called the Giant sydney today, sales staff said no discount for 2017 version.

Do u recon it is worth purchase 2017 version over 2016 version?

Thankfully there is little difference between the 2017 & 2016 versions, so buy which ever colour you like best and which ever one is priced the best.

sunnyfield 12-23-16 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 19198314)
Thankfully there is little difference between the 2017 & 2016 versions, so buy which ever colour you like best and which ever one is priced the best.

Got my Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2017 model from sydney shop today, get bargain for $450 off RRP, very impressed for this bike.

Ride after half hour hear some noise when everytime I turn handlebar, will bring it to back to shop to check it out

FM1178 12-23-16 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyfield (Post 19267242)
Got my Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2017 model from sydney shop today, get bargain for $450 off RRP, very impressed for this bike.

Ride after half hour hear some noise when everytime I turn handlebar, will bring it to back to shop to check it out

Colonel Sanders is the go to on these bikes, however, I believe these bikes were notorious for squeaking sounds coming from the headset and fork when turning the handlebars. You can take it back or just take the front end apart and lube everything up real good.

coominya 12-23-16 03:36 PM

If it's evident when turning it may be the disk pads brushing the rotor or even the caliper body rubbing it. I have that after I refitted the front caliper , I'll get around to adjusting it, one day soon.

lestat 01-02-17 09:23 PM

Used for commuting and off road

Originally Posted by pghchico (Post 19164236)
well when i'm on the road, i want the seat up high, as you said, i want my leg almost straight when the peddle is at the bottom. BUT when i'm out on the trails i put the seat down a few inches. then put my peddles horizontal and use my legs, knees and hips as the suspension. shift my weight back over the backwheel to bounce over obsticales. So being able to adjust the seat is very important.

Colonel Sanders. funny you mentioned the KONA big rove, that is the other bike i'm looking at, but it has a Al fork not carbon, not sure how much that would effect weight.

How did you go with the purchase? I hope my input isn't too late. I think this bike is an all around bike.

I have been using my Toughroad SLR2 for commuting to work (15Kms each way) with Schwalbe Marathon 700x50c tyres on with raks, panniers, and mudguards. On the weekends usually Sunday, I strip it down (15min job) and change back the tyres to its stock tyres Maxxis Maxxlite 29x2.0" at 45-50PSI. I set my seat post with just a slight bend on my knees when pedal is at furthest bottom stroke. Have no issues moving my weight around my bike i.e., bunny hop, manual, drops. Just need to watch for my chest hitting the saddle on drops when I have my bum all the way to the rear. Come Sunday night, I clean it, re-lube an put all the stuff back ready for weekday commute, If I'm lazy, I leave my MAXXIS tyres on as it is very light anyway compared to the Marathon. I even leave the mudguards off if forecast is dry.

I have been riding in You Yangs Track 14 (Very Difficult grade) with switchbacks and pump track jumps with about 3M heights. Parks Victoria - Mountain Biking

This bike is solid if you're a proper mountain biker who knows how to move around your bike, as I would think you are as you asked about dropping the seat posts. Alternatively, you go up with Saddle up, then take a breather, lower the seat with an allen key and down you go...

Originally Posted by pghchico (Post 19166121)

I'm sure there are some other bikes out there that will fit the bill, most hybrids seem to run 35mm tires, i just need to see which of them have the frame clearence to accept a 50-52mm mtb tire. I already figured into the budget that i would have 2 sets of tires. I guess i just need to get off the internet and make the rounds to the LBS and check out the bikes in person to see which ones would work with the bigger tires.

As I said above, this bike can do almost anything apart from really extreme downhill, but it can definitely do what a cross-country bike can, plus you can do long commute with it with racks, even tour. :)

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 19168313)
Well the Toughroad isn't a BMX bike nor does it have BMX geometry and I doubt he will be doing any BMX tricks with it.

The type of riding he is describing is mountain biking. I'm 80% mountain biker and 20% hybrid bike/gravel biker. As someone who mountain bikes a lot, there is never a need to lower the seat. Nor does anyone I ride with lower the seat. If you want your legs to act as suspension all you need to do is stand up and bend the legs a little. If he was doing some serious downhill riding then a dropper post would be in order. But it sounds like just some light off road use.

True. You don't need to lower the seat down like I do. But it is safer with it lowered and easier to move around the bike with it lowered so maybe that's why pghchico prefers it.

I'm not sure how to add photos here but i have saved it in Google drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zg?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9...ew?usp=sharing

Machoman121 02-11-17 05:06 AM

My new 2017 Giant Toughroad SLR 2 Medium weighs close to 13 KG - is that normal - why is it so heavy? Where is most of the weight coming from?

What can i do to lighten it?

gsa103 02-12-17 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Machoman121 (Post 19370970)
My new 2017 Giant Toughroad SLR 2 Medium weighs close to 13 KG - is that normal - why is it so heavy? Where is most of the weight coming from?

That seems heavy. I just weighed my ~2015 Toughroad SLR2 Large, and it was 11.8kg with pedals, one bottle cage and Ergon bar-end grips. Are you measuring it in a stock configuration, or does that include things like saddle bags? It's easy to add ~2-3 kg of stuff to a bike if you're not watching (tools, tube, bottle cages, lights).

As for where the weight comes from, basically everything. The frame and fork are designed to be robust so they aren't going to be super light, probably ~2.5kg is the frame and fork. A similar Giant XTC frame is ~1600g, and a Niner carbon fork is ~650g, so that's a ballpark.

There's nothing on the bike that's particularly light, components were optimized for function and cost not weight.
An Acera crank & BB is approximately 1.2kg (could save ~300g).
The wheelset is probably ~2.5kg (could easily save ~500g).
The cassette is ~323g (XT would be ~50g lighter).
Entry level disc brakes & rotors aren't light.
Beyond that, the handlebars, stem, seatpost, etc are not going to be light.

In terms of good places to save weight, improving fit/comfort is always a good way to save weight (bars, stem, saddle), because it saves weight and improves the ride.
Wheels and crankset are the next two big items. Something like an 1x10 or 1x11 conversion would drop ~1kg, but would have reduced gear range.

All of this stuff costs money though, so it's a question of what you want to spend. An entry level carbon wheelset costs more than the entire bike and would save you ~1 kg. Getting the weight down to 10 kg is likely doable, but potentially cost more than the entire bike.

ColonelSanders 02-12-17 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Machoman121 (Post 19370970)

How reliable are your scales?

My Large 2016 Toughroad SLR 2 weighed 11.6kgs totally stock.

The tyres on the 2017 model may be a bit heavier, but I don't see how your bike could be 1.4kg heavier.

Is your bike totally stock or have you replaced the saddle and/or pedals?

Machoman121 02-14-17 04:37 AM

My apology - somehow I thought i read the scales that i was lighter - it's an analog bathroom scales - I've weighed it again - and it turns out to be 11.5KG !!!

I've replaced the pedals - using an old Shimano 747 clipless pedals (the newer current XT clipless pedals are even heavier !) and i''ve replaced the stock saddle with an Adamo Attack.

I was quite unhappy when i thought it was 14KG - for that weight i would be better off getting a 29er hardtail.

I've also upgraded the grip to the Giant ERGO MAX PLUS LOCK-ON GRIPS W/ BAR-ENDS - they are very comfortable and I like them very much.

I haven't gone on any real long ride yet - waiting to receive/fit slimmer tyres - 700x35. The bike so far feels fun to ride. I got the toughroad to ride on a route (total distance at least 40km) where it's about 75% bike path - it doesn't have the most consistent surface - and 25% gravel.

I've got a Giant Defy carbon too and will reserve that for more road and smoother bike path rides.

NormanF 02-14-17 12:38 PM

Keep in mind when you load things in panniers, overall weight may go up to around 40 lbs.

Acceptable since the TR was designed for utility riding as well as touring and bikepacking and you could carry even more for the latter outings.