Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Decent road bike in the 1000 - 1400 category (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=55506)

j.foster 06-19-04 03:16 PM

Decent road bike in the 1000 - 1400 category

I've decided to get a nice new racing bike as i would love to cruise Europe by bike some of it looks so amazing. I'm prepared to spend at least £1000 possibly as much as £1400 if the extra £400 will really bring about £400 worth of benefits. The only road bike i've ever had was a Falcon Veloce which has now met it's untimely demise so i would have thought anything i ride now would feel amazing in comparison. Could anyone recommend any decent bikes in this kind of price category? The Trek 2200 is the most expensive bike they do for my budget and it looks stunning. Can anyone recommend any good bikes to take on a test ride for this money and what would i be looking for when i ride it?

ultra-g 06-19-04 03:18 PM

How about a Bianchi Veloce?

j.foster 06-19-04 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ultra-g
How about a Bianchi Veloce?

A nice looking little bike.

If i take a ride how do i know which is better will it be obvious even to someone who doesn't have a vast experience of different bikes?

Is there anywhere i can research parts so i know what their going on about, i have experience replacing all the bits and servicing bikes but i don't know what they mean when they say stuff like shimano 105 or acera, and i hear makes like bontrager and campagnolo, where can i learn what's good and what isn't?

tourist 06-19-04 03:25 PM

Might wanna check out the Trek 5000. 5200 frame with a lower component group. I don't know if it's available in the UK.

ultra-g 06-19-04 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by j.foster
A nice looking little bike.

If i take a ride how do i know which is better will it be obvious even to someone who doesn't have a vast experience of different bikes?

Is there anywhere i can research parts so i know what their going on about, i have experience replacing all the bits and servicing bikes but i don't know what they mean when they say stuff like shimano 105 or acera, and i hear makes like bontrager and campagnolo, where can i learn what's good and what isn't?

The Bianchi Veloce has Campagnolo Veloce drivetrain, carbon fork, Reynolds 631 frame... very excellent specs. I think the Campie Veloce component group is around the same level as Shimano 105 components, but I'm not sure.

The Trek 2300/2200 are carbon and zr9000 alloy while the Bianchi is all steel, so that would be a matter of preference for you.

At the price range you're planning on spending I'm sure whichever bike you go with will be an awesome bike.

boze 06-19-04 04:04 PM

you're in a sweet spot with your budget - you can get any of a bunch of quality bikes.

do you know the difference between the different component groups? that's something to learn about as you shop.

also, you'll want to test ride bikes of different frame materials to see if you feel more comfortable on one bike as opposed to another.

the frame materials from cheapest to most expensive are:
1) aluminum frames w/ carbon fork
2) alum frame w/ carbon fork and carbon seat stays
3) steel frame w/ carbon fork
4) very expensive carbon frame or titanium frame bikes w/ carbon fork

I'd agree that the bianchi veloce is a nice choice. The Imola and Vigorelli are nice Bianchi bikes as well. The carbon Treks will be more expensive than all these steel Bianchi's, but at the price of the Bianchi's the Treks won't be steel, they'll be aluminum, possibly with carbon stays.

Everybody on this board reminds ppl to pay close attention to how comfortable you feel on a bike and buy the one that fits you best. Test riding will help you learn the most about that, since the slight differences in frame geometry aren't something you can translate to comfort just by reading about them.

However, another opinion that is pretty commonly shared is that steel bikes are more comfortable than aluminum bikes - especially in the lower prices (like bikes made with 7005 aluminum, which is the cheapest kind I believe).

Lastly, you should ask somebody who knows about campagnolo component groups whether the Veloce group (not the bike but the components) are good enough or if you'd be better off spending the extra money for a Centaur or Chorus group. I think Veloce is the cheapest group Campy makes now, and at the lower end I think ppl in the states generally prefer Shimano, although with the high end groups it becomes more a matter of preference because both are excellent in terms of quality, durability and value.

I'd avoid alum frame bikes that don't even have carbon stays - not that there aren't nice ones but that for the money you're spending you ought to be getting a bit more than something like the Trek 1500 or 1200's.

Good luck!

MacMan 06-19-04 05:41 PM

In US terms, you are looking at about $1500 to $2300. You'll be swamped for choices! Towards the upper end of that range, t'd have ro recommend the bike I ride - a Felt F35. Full Dura Ace, carbon forks, stays etc. Great wheelset, FSA cranks. There are PLENTY of phenomenal bikes in this range so I'm not saying the F35 is the best. I just know that it's a great bike since I ride one.

www.feltracing.com

Allen H 06-19-04 10:46 PM

Look at and test ride the LeMond Zurich and/or Buenos Aires.

The 2004 models are combo carbon/steel frames, within your price range (at least in the U.S.), are very responsive and smooth rides. The Zurich is all Ultegra components; the Buenos Aires mostly Ultegra, a few 105 components.