Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Why you guys prefer ebike to bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167265)

errymo 02-27-19 02:33 AM

Why you guys prefer ebike than bike?

As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??

Dazo 02-27-19 03:30 AM

To be honest i'm devided on the usefulness of ebikes for a fit person.
I have both a road bike and an ebike, during the summer the road bike is faster than the ebike because of the lighter weight, better aerodynamics and more gears.
I use my ebike primarily during the winter here in Norway, when the roads are covered in snow and ice and i use big studded tires on my bikes it gets very heavy to bike for a few hours a day (which i usually do, for transport) so the ebike helps me keep some pressure off my body. i could't use my road bike anyway during the winter because i need studded tires to bike safely. i also have "normal" hybrid/touring bikes but they are slower than either alternative both in the winter and summer.

So basically my opinion is that using a road bike makes more sense than electric if you are relatively fit, but in the case of snow covered roads, or if you regularly pull heavy cargo trailers, ebikes are great.

Edit: i should clarify that ebikes motors are limited at 25 km/h in Norway because of laws, so if you want to bike faster than that you have to just use muscle power

Elvo 02-27-19 11:32 AM

I use mine for getting to work and for errands. I don't ride it for fitness.

slomoshun 02-27-19 11:39 AM

Hills, time, sweat

Doc_Wui 02-27-19 12:03 PM

I have a mighty fine, in my opinion anyway, hybrid bike with suspension and hydraulic disks, Easy to pedal and fun to ride. I also have "many" converted ebikes, One bike I found in the garbage and another is one I almost threw away myself. With a motor, they're easy to pedal and I think they are fun too.

I don't ride to go to work. I don't earn my living riding them. I just ride for fun, fresh air and exercise. Only 800 miles last year on my bikes. 60 miles were on my regular bike (three rides).

2old 02-27-19 12:22 PM

Another arrow(s) in the quiver; change of pace is fun (for me).

chas58 02-27-19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dazo (Post 20813992)
To be honest i'm devided on the usefulness of ebikes for a fit person.
I have both a road bike and an ebike, during the summer the road bike is faster than the ebike because of the lighter weight, better aerodynamics and more gears.

True. I kinda like non e-bikes for their light weight and simplicity. But an e-bike is more likely to keep me from driving a car or taking public transportation. Actually I sold a car after building my e-bike because I just wasn't driving it any more.

powell 02-28-19 08:40 AM

Weird that nobody had not mentioned it yet
ONCE you reach 60_70 years of age you will know answer to your question very well

Bizman 03-01-19 10:24 PM

I can't say I prefer my ebikes to my other bikes as all my bikes have a purpose. When a certain task is at hand I use that bike. I actually use my ebikes allot less than my other bikes (specifically my Velomobile and now newly added to the stable, Quattrovelo Velomobile) and when I do use my ebikes I use the motor as little as possible. One ebike is my dedicated winter bike with studded tires and very handy to use when there is snow and ice. The other ebike is a cargo bike used in nicer weather for grocery runs and deliveries when needed for my business.

steven.burkard 03-02-19 09:29 AM

It is no secret, just look to the Bicycle Retailer article showing the 2018 purchasing trends, that EBikes are gaining popularity. There are a couple reasons that I can see:

1. An EBike extends the range of any cyclist. Sure, you may be fit, but if you want to commute to your place of work, an EBike will allow you to cover a greater distance without being all sweaty and exhausted when you get there. In large cities like DC, LA, Seattle, Toronto, and Vancouver, they are a game changer.
2. Want to go carless? An EBike with cargo capacity will allow you to carry more than just yourself. Think kids, groceries, and even building supplies.
3. Age. An EBike allows for someone in their 60's, 70's, and even 80's to continue to cycle.

MikeyMK 03-03-19 03:46 AM

I take my kid to school on my e-bike. She's 7yo. Her school is miles away.

I carry eight bags over, £100 worth of groceries, when I go shopping on my e-bike.

When I go to work, that's a commute. I work 12hr shifts, I don't need a workout each way. Especially when it's raining, snowing, or there are strong winds.

​​​​​​There's a time and a place for a manual bike. Just going out for a bit of fun or cardio, or riding with my kid on her bike.

But the e-bike is a daily workhorse. Until now, people have had to use cars. In a town where we don't ride on roads, the e-bike hasn't replaced a bicycle. It's replaced a car. The world needs this. But I'm not bothered about that. I'm just enjoying it.

Ludkeh 03-03-19 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by powell (Post 20815890)
Weird that nobody had not mentioned it yet
ONCE you reach 60_70 years of age you will know answer to your question very well

I'm 70 and have been ill the past few years. Was an avid cyclist my whole adult life. Mentally I found it extremely hard having to give up one of my true loves, cycling. Every time I encountered cyclists riding I became more depressed! Enter my gravel E bike! It might not be as satisfying as riding a standard bike but at least I can get out there and ride as much as my strength will allow. It makes me happy!!!! :)

MNebiker 03-03-19 01:33 PM

Hills, sore knees, 80yrs old. Biking stopped being fun after only a few miles. I put a conversion kit on my hybrid bike and couldn't be more pleased. It gave me back the fun of riding. I usually shut it off on the flat unless there is a stiff headwind.

linberl 03-03-19 04:16 PM

I don't know why one has to exclude the other. I prefer to ride without a motor on most of my rides, including my fitness rides. But - there are places I want to go that require more than I or my 8 speed bike can handle (big hills) so a motor is helpful in those cases. I also want to ride with my adult son sometimes and not make him drop his speed so much to ride with me (I am a senior citizen and 15mph is my speed, 20-24 is his). Also, my bike is my car and I pull some heavy Costco loads on a trailer so the motor is really nice when I have 40lbs of dog food plus other stuff. E-bikes are transportation tools, e-bikes are physical assist devices, and e-bikes can be just plain fun. I would never give up my regular bike; it's all about choosing the right bike for the moment.

CodyDog 03-03-19 04:28 PM

Ebiking has gotten my wife back into biking. She's riding a Specialized Como 3.0. Otherwise, she probably would not go on long rides (20 miles plus).

https://i.imgur.com/NgOmSzP.jpg

veganbikes 03-03-19 05:50 PM

I don't I like my regular bikes better but e-Bikes are excellent for commuting and getting places a little faster or a little less fatigued. However much of my riding is more recreational and I just prefer the regular bikes. I love e-bikes don't get me wrong, I own a Raleigh Redux (which is in the process of being upgraded with all sorts of really nice parts) and I plan on riding that a lot for work but I really am quite happy with my Ti road bike and my steel touring bike and my Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine amongst the other bikes in my collection for various recreational rides.

Steve C 03-06-19 09:22 PM

Being over 60 and having knackered knees due to rugby, squash, and skiing, and already having one total knee replacement an ebike just takes the extra load off of my knees.

I can now cycle to places that I used to cycle to 20 years ago.

I still get out of breath and tired, but can go further or faster or both.

KraneXL 03-07-19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by errymo (Post 20813977)
As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??

I think if its used properly (you should still get a workout) its OK. I mean if you want to go out with a faster group and just need a bit more boost to keep up that go ahead.

Just don't us it to make so easy as to defeats the purpose. Basically, if you can blow past and out climb the best unassisted riders then you have it set with too much boost.

Quator94 03-10-19 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by CodyDog (Post 20820880)
Ebiking has gotten my wife back into biking. She's riding a Specialized Como 3.0. Otherwise, she probably would not go on long rides (20 miles plus).

Thats an perfect example. E-Bikes are getting people back to bike riding.

ShelbyC 03-10-19 03:35 PM

Electric bikes seem perfect for errands and kid hauling.

Rajflyboy 03-11-19 08:05 AM

I talked to a 70 year old that road rides with a group. There were a few hills on the rides that were boosting his heart rate higher than he would like. The E bike he bought helped fix this problem on those trouble areas on the group rides (thus he can still do what he loves and ride with his friends).

KraneXL 03-11-19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quator94 (Post 20831473)
Thats an perfect example. E-Bikes are getting people back to bike riding.

Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?

Robert C 03-13-19 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20833813)
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?

Poor example.

The moped did not leave the roads due to waning interest. It was legislated off the roads. It appears that the various states are making an effort to avoid that mistake with e-bikes. While here on the "just drive a car forum" it falls on deaf ears, the states are waking up to the idea that there needs to be a variety of solutions to the traffic issues.

Due to the cost, either of a new e-bike or of time to build one, I don't see much of a "fad" effect. But then, most of the e-bikes I see are in car substitute roles, such as small grocery runs and commuting. Unlike many here on just drive a car forum, I hope to see more e-bikes, push-bikes, and the like being used in roles that reduce reliance on the auto.

Part of reducing the overall reliance on the auto is in supporting and praising alternatives, not damming them for some lack of purity and machismo.

As to the original question, it is so poorly worded that I delayed answering. The original question is an example of a false dichotomy, to turn a question into a simple this or that choice instead of recognizing that most real responses will be heavily nuanced. I enjoy riding my push-bike. However, I use my e-bike for commuting and chores.

For me, the deciding factor was the wind. It is not at all uncommon, in the town I work in, to leave for work in 30+ mph (45-50 kph) winds. I was starting to think of driving to work. At that point, I decided that I had to do something. I built an e-bike (I am now on version two) and found an enjoyable way to get to work that didn't involve driving along with something new to tinker on. I still get a pretty good workout, but I am not arriving completely knackered (yes, this second version relies on a torque sensor based system).

emmokid 03-13-19 05:28 PM

Why you guys prefer ebikes to bikes?
because I don't want to struggle, sweat and pant during my commute, esp. when climbing, unless I'm in a mood for some exercise which isn't very likely. I need a bike mainly for getting around independently (car ownership is too expensive for me), not for exercising.

antokelly 03-14-19 06:43 PM

yes