Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Pub 51 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=876247)

JimF22003 04-20-13 02:16 AM

I haven't seen much of the chief complainant about the "off-topic issue" lately... Maybe it wasn't a problem after all, hmm?

Gerryattrick 04-21-13 08:09 AM

If this were a real pub it would close due to lack of customers.

But at least it has solved all the terrible problems 50+ was having. It has hasn't it?

JanMM 04-21-13 06:09 PM

Trying to figure out if this thread is staying on-topic. Is this post on-topic? Another stout, please.

Road Fan 04-24-13 07:12 AM

not a problem

I think it was not a real problem. Even Chairman Tom has taken the liberty to banter about geezer hood in the 50+ open area.

Dan Burkhart 04-24-13 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 15546763)
I think it was not a real problem. Even Chairman Tom has taken the liberty to banter about geezer hood in the 50+ open area.

Exactly. I think we should continue to do so. We are a community after all, brought together by our common interest in cycling, so why shouldn't we talk about general common interest stuff that may lie outside the realm of cycling.
If some want to restrict their participation to on topic stuff, God bless 'em, that's fine too.

cccorlew 04-28-13 09:16 AM

Cigars?

When I was in Cuba last summer teaching photography to American students I was introduced to cigars. I'm not a smoker, so I was surprised how pleasurable I found smoking a cigar. Of course, I can't get those nice Cubans here, but still...

I guess I'm now a cigar smoker. I keep it down to one or two a week in hopes that I'll avoid negative health consequences.

Any of you enjoy this vice?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8165/7...9b1d7ab7_z.jpg
Curtis in Cuba Photo, 2012 by ccorlew, on Flickr

Dudelsack 04-28-13 09:32 AM

No.

leob1 04-28-13 09:34 AM

Stink Sticks

jppe 04-28-13 10:51 AM

My Dad smoked cigars all his life but stopped about 10 years before he died. He used to love going to visit his brother who always seemed to have a stash of the Cubans. I don't mind cigar and pipe smoke but I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke. Nice pic by the way.

overthehillmedi 04-28-13 10:51 AM

When I visit my old home town of Victoria, B.C. during the summer cruise season and go to the local tourist trap commercial area I see lots of your fellow American gentlemen sitting on the benches and walking around just outside of E,A.Morris Tobacconist puffing away on legal in Canada Cuban cigars.

Dan Burkhart 04-28-13 11:06 AM

We can buy Cuban stogies anywhere up here. I rather enjoy the aroma of a good cigar, although I have not smoked anything in 36 years.

NOS88 04-28-13 11:10 AM

Used to, but even one or two a week had a negative impact on me... including the $10 to $20 per cigar cost. With that said, a good cigar can be a taste sensation.

BTW you photo looks like that of a man who has been in Cuba for some time. Nice shot. Did you set it up or did one of the students take it?

Nightshade 04-28-13 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 15561896)
When I was in Cuba last summer teaching photography to American students I was introduced to cigars. I'm not a smoker, so I was surprised how pleasurable I found smoking a cigar. Of course, I can't get those nice Cubans here, but still...

I guess I'm now a cigar smoker. I keep it down to one or two a week in hopes that I'll avoid negative health consequences.

I would if I could buy real cuban cigars. I smoke a pipe and what the brain washed general public doesn't understand is that pipe tobacco and good high quality (like cubans )
cigars are real all tobacco and nothing else. The flavor is pure tobacco not chemicals that all cigarettes are full of.

yes, a bit of good high quality tobacco is a joy to be savored. :p:p:p:p

Looigi 04-28-13 11:30 AM

Cigars and scotch really complement each other. I indulge only in special company and on very rare occasion. I think it's been 4 years since the last time.

JanMM 04-28-13 11:52 AM

Yes, I am so brainwashed that I believe this: 'There is no safe tobacco product, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke.' National Cancer Institute/NIH

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...Tobacco/cigars

Had my last cigarette in 1975. Every once in a while, the thought pops into my head that smoking a cigarette would be pleasant.

Do what you enjoy, but know the risk.

jdon 04-28-13 12:29 PM

Never cigarettes but I have had a cigar or two in my time. Maybe once a year. I do however love the aroma of pipe tobacco so will generally light one while doing some woodworking. I just light it and let it extinguish. That satisfies the aroma therapy. :)

Great hat btw CC.

climberguy 04-28-13 12:30 PM

Taking significant amounts of smoke into my lungs somehow has never struck me as a good idea, no matter what the aroma. Probably wouldn't help with 3 min interval repeats, either. I'm sure there are worse vices, but I've already got more than enough. It does look make you look cool, though.

billydonn 04-28-13 01:07 PM

I like a good gigar now and then on a special occasion. Especially when flyfishing. I don't inhale them at all though.

BlazingPedals 04-28-13 01:11 PM

Applewood is aromatic, too; and I could light up a small pile of it for pennies and stand in the smoke plume. But I don't to that either. Smoke is an irritant that I'd rather keep out of my lungs. Besides, I don't want my breath and my clothes to smell like an ash tray.

Frankfast 04-28-13 01:36 PM

One or two a week progresses to one a day. Ask me how I know. Give it up while it's still easy.

USMCRet 04-28-13 01:38 PM

I enjoy a good cigar now and then. I usually reserve them for special occasions. I had a cuban once when I was in Montreal, and frankly, I didn't see what all the hype is about.

cccorlew 04-28-13 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 15562246)

BTW you photo looks like that of a man who has been in Cuba for some time. Nice shot. Did you set it up or did one of the students take it?

I was with my (adult) students in a small bar in Havana. I pointed out the window light at the table where we were sitting and talked about how to use it. Tony — who introduced me to cigars — made the photo.

Here's Tony himself, in a photo I shot in the lobby of the Rivera.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7...4083cd5e_z.jpg
Tony has an offer for you by ccorlew, on Flickr

Mobile 155 04-28-13 06:19 PM

In our country and culture that was a brave post. Far too many people equate Cigars with Cigarette smoking however. Traditionally cigars are not inhaled and the flavor of the tobacco is sampled by the pallet and blown back out. Earth notes, coffee notes, chocolate notes, nut notes even grassy notes all can be tasted with different good cigars. All natural flavors found in different hand rolled cigars from Cuba to Honduras to Jamaica and Nicaragua or the Dominican Republic. I have been on a tour of a factory and watching the Torcedor roll and press the cigars and deftly use the Chaveta to cut the leaves was rather impressive. But alas I no longer partake maybe because I now cycle or maybe because of the looks people give you even if they come where you are smoking and then act like I have entered their space rather than the other way around. But my real question might be, Is that a Panama hat? Like a real one from Ecuador? I love hats from Fedoras to Optimos or Plantation Panamas. Another dying art is the weaving of the Toquilla straw into a proper hat.

cccorlew 04-28-13 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mobile 155 (Post 15563406)
But my real question might be, Is that a Panama hat? Like a real one from Ecuador? I love hats from Fedoras to Optimos or Plantation Panamas. Another dying art is the weaving of the Toquilla straw into a proper hat.

I'm not sure. I bought it in Cuba. It says Panama on it, but has no country of origin.

I too enjoy hats, and caps, and usually wear one. I like them so much that more than a few folks have assumed I'm covering a bald head, though in fact I have all my hair and am hardly gray yet.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8...d8077f2f8f.jpg
Best photo of Curtis ever by ccorlew, on Flickr

DX-MAN 04-28-13 06:56 PM

I did at one time; after quitting totally in Dec. '01, I've sniffed a couple cigars since then, almost re-kindled the desire to smoke one. Cigarettes disgust me, even now, but the cigar is a tease.

Thing is, I know the actual experience of lighting one up again would be a LOT less enjoyable than my mental picture of it. Pass.

At one time, Thompson Cigar Co. made a product that was damn near Cuban quality (sampled a Cuban once, it was an eye-opener);enjoyed their product in the 80's, but when I tried again in the 90's, they'd lost some significant quality.