Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   First FG bike recommendations (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170587)

KyleM 04-14-19 04:29 PM

First FG bike recommendations

Edited. See second post.

KyleM 04-15-19 12:45 AM

I am interested in getting my first Fixed gear bike. I've been doing a lot of research online but havnt made a decision yet. Wanted to ask if anyone had a recommendation for a budget of 700

Thanks

KyleM 04-15-19 01:33 AM

I just purchased a kilo tt pro after doing a lot of research. Was going to get a wt but none were available

TugaDude 04-15-19 07:37 AM

Good choice. Cheap enough that it came in under your budget yet good enough that you can ride it for a long time and upgrade components at your discretion. No need to at first, but you may want to begin "customizing" it to you taste.

KyleM 04-17-19 07:03 PM

Well, just got an email saying they could not fulfill order. Guess I have to figure out a new option

veganbikes 04-17-19 09:27 PM

Do a little research first before you come in and reply to yourself a bunch. It makes everyone happy.

GreenFixie58 05-16-19 01:26 PM

Pure Cycle bikes, Original Series is what I just got and it's awesome... I don't have anything to compare it too (ie. my mountain bike since I was a kid) but it's a great commuter bike.

BicycleBicycle 05-16-19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by GreenFixie58 (Post 20933211)
Pure Cycle bikes, Original Series is what I just got and it's awesome... I don't have anything to compare it too (ie. my mountain bike since I was a kid) but it's a great commuter bike.

No, please DO NOT buy a hi-ten bike for anything more than $180.
A hi ten bike is good for a-b commuting (very short distances for very light people), like i'm talking going the few blocks to school and back, and for trying out a rough sport (mtb, bmx) for like a month maybe?
If you think about that concept, $150 is reasonable. $200 if it's an actually rideable single speed.

If you commute really short distances, like if you're in college or something and you just go to and from class it's ok.
In fact, it's arguably more practical than a scooter/skateboard because you can go through dirt areas and in/around streets.

If you just want to try out bmx or mtb for like literally a handful of spirited rides, then $150 is like renting something a few times to see if you like it without having to spend the $3-400 for a barely better complete, and without having to worry about deductables.
The bike will not be worth upgrading, and it should be treated as one replaceable unit. Hence, don't spend a lot on it.

ANYTHING outside of that scope is not worth it.

Great deal at sub $200 prices. Anything more is a hipster cash grab.
If paying $100 more for some cool aesthetics (don't blame you) is worth it to you, and the only purpose you have in mind is light commuting, then go for it.

The kilo tt is one of those products that just blows everything else at that price point out of the water.
Reynolds tubing on a complete bike for $400? Absolutely nuts.
I paid almost $280 for just a frame/fork that had straight gauge tange tubing.
Most of those web companies you see do make what seems like decent bikes at higher prices though.

Wait until its in stock again. Based on what I've read about that frame and from my own experiences with decent tubing, you most likely won't regret it.
I would also use the rest of the money for a good set of wheels as most wheels that come on completes are crap.
You probably wont find something with a good set of wheels for $700.

Right now for $700 i'm thinking Reynolds frame with H Plus Sons, formulas, and maybe a nice saddle (you'll want to upgrade that soon too) *drools*.

IAmSam 05-17-19 07:09 AM

Uhhhh...520 is 4130 - just Reynolds' proprietary name for theirs

And - look around OP, there are plenty of quite nice sw8 phiksies out there in your budget. Apparently we are close but not quite there yet - hopefully one of these days this sub-forum will finally get over Kilos :rolleyes:

seau grateau 05-17-19 07:33 AM

People will get over it when BD nerfs the Mercier bikes like they did all their other SS/FG offerings. It's only a matter of time.

REDMASTA 05-17-19 10:45 AM

since you mentioned the kilo wt you might like this.

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/cinelli-...complete-bike/

they have 20% off from time to time and free shipping if you're patient, gets you close to your budget.

buddy has a tipo pista he purchased when on sale and really likes it. front fork only clears 25mm though.

BicycleBicycle 05-18-19 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by IAmSam (Post 20934154)
Uhhhh...520 is 4130 - just Reynolds' proprietary name for theirs

And - look around OP, there are plenty of quite nice sw8 phiksies out there in your budget. Apparently we are close but not quite there yet - hopefully one of these days this sub-forum will finally get over Kilos :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree, for the most part cromoly is cromoly.
BUT, 520 is double butted, tapered, etc. The same goes for the fork.
At that price, you wouldn't expect anything more than straight gauge.