Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Alt Bike Culture (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Threw together a unique and ridiculous little bike from garbage (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1130584)

Hickory n steel 12-13-17 01:54 PM

Threw together a unique and ridiculous little bike from garbage

I walked down to this dried up creek / canal behind my neighborhood where people like to dump their junk and found every single part I needed.
A next rocket with rear wheel ( holds air ), sprocket, chain, and pedals
Mongoose forks
? Handlebars
? headset
? Waterlogged seat
? Front wheel ( had and holds air )
Tubing to extend the seat and handlebars
I was inspired by what we called monkey bikes of which I had two at different times as a kid.
https://s17.postimg.org/rfieje2bz/IM..._163810800.jpg
The handlebar extension is just a tight hammered in fit that's not going anywhere.
I heated up the headset to remove the post from it, then just forced the pipe into it and into the sprocket after that.
The seat post extension is made up of one pipe that firs into the frame then a smaller piece bolted into it to for the seat to fit onto.

I can't say I'm done working on this thing, but it works right now.

It's not up to the standard of bikes you guys build and is literally cobbled together, but I'm pretty sure it's something unique you may not have seen done before.
Obviously it has no purpose so that's probably why nobody has ever done this before.

Philphine 12-14-17 10:22 AM

sure it has purpose. making you smile while you ride it.

it's not too active now, but it would fit on the freakbike forum. there used to be a couple posts where people did this with another frame welded under it to make kind of a mini tall bike.

Hickory n steel 12-14-17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Philphine (Post 20052346)
sure it has purpose. making you smile while you ride it.

it's not too active now, but it would fit on the freakbike forum. there used to be a couple posts where people did this with another frame welded under it to make kind of a mini tall bike.

That sounds interesting.

This bike is fun to ride, but the seat isn't very comfortable.

One thing I thought about doing was mounting a small basket to it, we have a Chevron down the street and this would perfect to ride when I go up there to grab some kind of snack.

jimmie65 12-14-17 03:46 PM

Now that is cool.

Hickory n steel 12-14-17 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimmie65 (Post 20053080)
Now that is cool.

Thanks.
Btw to give you an idea of how easy this was to build, if I had all the parts to make another I could do it in about 30 minutes.

DrNeville 12-15-17 03:33 AM

Cool bike :)
Your nickname sounds familiar... (Bladeforums?):D

Hickory n steel 12-15-17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DrNeville (Post 20053965)
Cool bike :)
Your nickname sounds familiar... (Bladeforums?):D

I own a blade or two ;);)

Btw just to make this thing a little more ridiculous I added a card and bottle noise maker to the back.
I may get tired of the noise and take it off, but I feel like annoying the neighbors for a while.

Philphine 12-16-17 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hickory n steel (Post 20055152)

Btw just to make this thing a little more ridiculous I added a card and bottle noise maker to the back.
I may get tired of the noise and take it off, but I feel like annoying the neighbors for a while.

I've always thought it would be fun like on Halloween or cyclouvia (they close off a street to just bikes, skaters pedestrians) to have a group of cruisers come through like a biker gang with playing cards in their spokes. "loud spokes save lives"

Hickory n steel 12-16-17 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Philphine (Post 20056413)
I've always thought it would be fun like on Halloween or cyclouvia (they close off a street to just bikes, skaters pedestrians) to have a group of cruisers come through like a biker gang with playing cards in their spokes. "loud spokes save lives"

That would be cool.
Especially if they all had matching leather jackets.
Now on a little kiddie bike like this I think one would have to be wearing a cowboy costume with cap gun set and all 😁

DrNeville 12-16-17 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hickory n steel (Post 20055152)

:thumb:

Hickory n steel 12-16-17 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by DrNeville (Post 20057306)
:thumb:

They're always blasting their spanish music or rap " music " so I figured it's my turn to annoy them for a change.

Fastfingaz 12-19-17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hickory n steel (Post 20050825)
I walked down to this dried up creek / canal behind my neighborhood where people like to dump their junk and found every single part I needed.
Mongoose forks
? Handlebars
? headset
? Waterlogged seat
I was inspired by what we called monkey bikes of which I had two at different times as a kid.
The handlebar extension is just a tight hammered in fit that's not going anywhere.
I heated up the headset to remove the post from it, then just forced the pipe into it and into the sprocket after that.
The seat post extension is made up of one pipe that firs into the frame then a smaller piece bolted into it to for the seat to fit onto.

It's not up to the standard of bikes you guys build and is literally cobbled together, but I'm pretty sure it's something unique you may not have seen done before.
Obviously it has no purpose so that's probably why nobody has ever done this before.

,,,,,you have done well H n S ,,,,

Hickory n steel 12-19-17 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz (Post 20062213)
,,,,,you have done well H n S ,,,,

Thanks.
Btw I went back down there and got a nice looking very very new set of cast pedals that Im going to give my dad for the cruiser he's going to buy for exercise.
I also tool a pair of handlebars for the grips, and while the were no good it had Shimano break handles. I definitely would've saved them if they weren't broken.
There's nothing else for me to salvage, but maybe a few more bikes will eventually end up down there.

MikeyMK 12-20-17 02:27 PM

Ha! That looks a laugh a second!

I built a little something crazy too - basically i took a 20in 6-speed boy's full suspension mountain bike, and fitted it with a 53T front crank, BMX handlebars, alloy V-Brakes, 2.5in BMX park tyres, and made a custom lay-back seat post for it. It was a quick little thing, very smooth, and took repeated jumps off walls and ramps...

https://i.imgur.com/H9Ak6ns.jpg

Well, there's no fun in taking cycling too seriously...

Hickory n steel 12-20-17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyMK (Post 20063773)
Ha! That looks a laugh a second!

I built a little something crazy too - basically i took a 20in 6-speed boy's full suspension mountain bike, and fitted it with a 53T front crank, BMX handlebars, alloy V-Brakes, 2.5in BMX park tyres, and made a custom lay-back seat post for it. It was a quick little thing, very smooth, and took repeated jumps off walls and ramps...

https://i.imgur.com/H9Ak6ns.jpg

Well, there's no fun in taking cycling too seriously...

I like it.
Really makes me wish I could've done this more professional looking.
It looks like I threw it together from junk, and while I don't mind I think a more professional look would be awesome.

If I ever have the money I'd like to buy a brand new little kids bike from Walmart...ect and do another one from that.

MikeyMK 12-21-17 09:18 AM

It didn't cost anything other than twenty quid for the second-hand base bike, but i had to ground my BMX to build it, use V-brakes from my spares bin, and use the crank from my recumbent. It was an experiment in line with a shopper i had, and only lived a week.

I also fitted the tyres and post to another shopper, along with the seat post. Not quite as daft, but not quite as capable either...

https://i.imgur.com/32GvNiF.jpg

bicyclridr4life 12-21-17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hickory n steel (Post 20050825)
Mongoose forks
? Handlebars
? headset
? Waterlogged seat

Looks good to me. :)

Hickory n steel 12-21-17 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life (Post 20066314)
Looks good to me. :)

Thanks.
I still have to do something about the chain, it's rusty and was already covered in some kind of thin grease or something so it gets all over the bottoms of my pants legs when I ride it.
I didn't realize it was happening till just today so I sprayed it with the hose which didn't do much.
I may need to take it off and soak it in a bucket of soapy water or actually take it off and spray it with a high pressure nozzle.

bicyclridr4life 12-22-17 07:44 AM

Velcro "belt" on the pant leg cuff?
That is what I use when riding my mountain bike. It also keeps the cuff from catching on the outer chainring when I'm using the middle or inner rings. :)

Hickory n steel 12-22-17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life (Post 20066696)
Velcro "belt" on the pant leg cuff?
That is what I use when riding my mountain bike. It also keeps the cuff from catching on the outer chainring when I'm using the middle or inner rings. :)

Maybe.
It really just lightly brushes the chain which is totally covered with something thin and greasy.

travelinhobo 12-23-17 02:20 PM

I've seen a few of these for sale on CL. They refer to them as circus bikes or clown bikes. They look very similar.

Hickory n steel 12-24-17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by travelinhobo (Post 20069144)
I've seen a few of these for sale on CL. They refer to them as circus bikes or clown bikes. They look very similar.

Are you talking about those tiny wheeled little bikes with the tall seat and handlebars ?
If so those are what inspired this, I had two of them which we knew as monkey bikes at different times as a kid.

travelinhobo 12-29-17 06:04 PM

Yes, I am.

Hickory n steel 12-31-17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by travelinhobo (Post 20079108)
Yes, I am.

Well, this isn't one of those 😉
Though it was inspired by the two monkey bikes I had at different times as a kid.

I always had so much fun with them, and actually rode one to school a few times.
No matter how fast you pedal you just can't go very fast, and since my elementary school was about a mile away it look forever to get there.

MikeyMK 01-01-18 03:45 PM

Or wear skinny jeans, they're all the rage.