Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Using a tablet and a Garmin? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172967)

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 04:45 AM

Using a tablet and a Garmin?

Not sure if this may have been discussed but I could not find it.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 tablet and a Garmin 800. We use Cycle Travel,a route planning website not an app, for our trips. Is it possible to download from the tablet to the Garmin 800?
If you have been successful would you share how you went about it?
We currently carry a small laptop on tour with us but would like to lighten the load.
Thanks!

njkayaker 05-14-19 06:13 AM

I used a Nexus 7 to copy route files to a 800.

It needed to be rooted (not needed on every device).

The 800 isn't any different than using a USB drive.

I used the stickmount app.

You generally need an OTG cable (about $3 online).

Any file manager app should work for the copying.

unterhausen 05-14-19 07:01 AM

I loaded a file on my garmin 800 from my Moto G7 phone using a USB otg cable. I got a file manager app, but then I realized that I could do it just with what is included with android on my phone. I only did it to make sure I could, I have never needed to do it on the road so I just use my computer. I should practice doing it.

The internet is inconclusive about your tablet supporting OTG. I would just try it first. Amazon sellers have cables for your device, but I would just get an otg cable that fits the usb connector. The one I got has a female usb connector on the device end so I can use the device's cable, no matter what that might be.

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 07:20 AM

Never thought about trying my phone! I have a OTG for that connection. The Samsung uses a type"C" which I don't have.
Will play with the phone later.

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 11:10 AM

Tried with my phone and tablet and it was a no go. Guess I stay with using the laptop.

njkayaker 05-14-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 20929596)
Tried with my phone and tablet and it was a no go. Guess I stay with using the laptop.

What phone?

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 02:12 PM

Blu Vivo One.

Iride01 05-14-19 02:46 PM

Your 800 is a usb storage device. So all you have to do is figure out what you need on the tablet to let you connect to it with a usb data cable. Then to transfer the route you just move or copy a .tcx, .fit or .gpx file to the /garmin/newfiles folder.

Don't try to put it directly in the /courses folder, let the device do that for you. The device runs a conversion routine on anything in the /newfiles folder when it is powered up and not connected to a PC or such. If there are files in your /newfiles folder after you have powered it on and subsequently hooked it back to a computer, then those files didn't get imported into the device due to some issue with that file.

Names for the routes don't come from the filename itself. There is a tag in the file that tells the device what the name is and sometimes that gets modified by the conversion routines to fit the naming convention Garmin decided on for your 800.

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 03:27 PM

When I connected everything up I see the gpx file and when I go to download it to the Garmin I can't seem to figure out how to pick where to send it.

njkayaker 05-14-19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 20930106)
When I connected everything up I see the gpx file and when I go to download it to the Garmin I can't seem to figure out how to pick where to send it.

When you connect the USB drive (the 800), it should get attached to the file system of the Android device. That is, it should show up as a folder.

Maybe, something like "/mnt/media_rw/*".

Tandem Tom 05-14-19 06:37 PM

Being quite tech challenged I am always a bit uneasy about attempting new ideas. And with us heading out in a few days for a 3 month tour I am afraid I might screw something up!
So I will come back to this at a later time.
Thanks!!