Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Snow Tires On! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1157898)

BobbyG 10-13-18 05:49 PM

Snow Tires On!

I put on my snow tires for the season. I have two other bikes so I really only take this one when it snows. Managed to knock my front V-Brake out of alignment, and on the next day's commute I couldn't shift the front derailler onto the large cog. I sorted everything out today.

I haven't named any of my bikes, but after hearing the studs against the pavement I'm thinking "Cracklin' Rosie".
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3c0605bef2.jpg

Archwhorides 10-13-18 09:19 PM

Looks like Cracklin' Rosie is ready to ride!

NiGoCo 10-14-18 12:35 AM

Damn, snow tires already?

It's still in the nineties here. Supposed to have a cold front coming through with highs in the sixties next week though.

jasnooks 10-14-18 02:58 AM

Location??

BobbyG 10-14-18 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NiGoCo (Post 20615235)
Damn, snow tires already?

It's still in the nineties here. Supposed to have a cold front coming through with highs in the sixties next week though.

Originally Posted by jasnooks (Post 20615291)
Location??

I'm in Colorado Springs. We had a couple days of snow last week, and then today...otherwise the forecast is for dry conditions with highs in the upper 50s for the next two weeks. As this is not my main commuter, and I have two other bikes I have been putting the studs on in mid October, so that when the real snow starts, I'm ready.

Although...it's not so much the snow, as the ice. I take a lot of shady side streets which don't get plowed. Sometimes I encounter ice from curb to curb.

OmegaWolf 10-14-18 10:35 AM

I want to say it's way too soon, but I almost needed studs 2 days last week and there's about 2 inches of new snow here this morning.

Gresp15C 10-14-18 11:08 AM

Wow, I'd better get to work. I was hoping to build some new winter wheels before the season begins.

Marcus_Ti 10-14-18 11:28 AM

Yea...snowy winter wonderland here. Busted out the Lake boots for the first time in anger today.

esmith2039 10-15-18 06:22 AM

Mine's going on this week. Light snow here last night but didn't stick. Still need to get some cleats or other studded footwear!

BobbyG 10-15-18 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by esmith2039 (Post 20616782)
Still need to get some cleats or other studded footwear!

Cleats or studded footwear are on my radar.

Before my first winter with studded tires I still was unsure about them, as I had no experience with them. I had mounted them and waited for icy conditions. The first Saturday with icy roads I rode the first half of one of my commute routes, gaining confidence with every new icy street.

After a long, steep icy climb I was sold except for stopping down-hill. As I stood astride my bike facing a steep downhill I was hoping, praying that I could come to a full stop on a steep icy downhill. I let my bike build a little speed and gingerly applied the brakes, slowing to a crawl. Then I released the brakes, building a little more speed and slowing again, confidence building back up.

With bated (and frosty) breath, I allowed the bike to build up speed again, even faster, and came to a perfectly drama-free full-stop on a steep icy downhill! I was elated! And then I put my foot down...

I didn't fall, but almost, as my foot slid on ice like a Zamboni before I lifted back onto a pedal and pulled up next to the curb.

I am now, careful not to place too much weight on my foot when stopped on an icy hill, but the smart thing would be to figure on some cramp-ons or something.

RidingMatthew 10-17-18 06:38 AM

i don't have snow tires but I am also in NC. I am wondering if it would be worth putting my Nano on my Journeyman if it is calling for snow. 27.5 x 2.1" might just work okay.