Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Weight Bearing Excercise for Us Older Folk... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172837)

TimothyH 05-12-19 06:23 PM

Weight Bearing Excercise for Us Older Folk...

This could have gone in the training forum but weight bearing exercise is a topic of special interest to us older folk.

I used to trail run but the past five or six years have been all about the bike.

In the interim a local city has put together a stellar trail system which I recently discovered. An exploration walk led to a hike which led to a run and now I go twice per week. Today I decided to invest in a nice pair of trail running shoes - one of those zero drop natural foot shape shoes from Altra.

Not sure that I have a point to this thread other than to say that I'm really having fun. Cycling will always be my love but I had forgotten how much I enjoy trail running, especially with the headlamp at night.

The fact that it is weight bearing is certainly a plus. Osteoporosis doesn't run in my family but why take chances, especially when the Georgia countryside is so beautiful

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9b16cea782.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1cc624a95b.jpg

Machka 05-13-19 03:45 AM

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...nguage-13.html

Walking To Date

2019 - 382.3 km
2018 - 540.8 km
2017 - 491.8 km
2016 - 388.5 km
2015 - 367.2 km

I was really getting into running, but unfortunately injured my right hip/leg training for and during my half marathon in January. I hope to get back into it in time for my next half marathon. :)

bruce19 05-13-19 05:09 AM

Very nice. That looks beautiful and you're having fun. Sounds perfect to me.

OldTryGuy 05-13-19 05:43 AM

Beautiful looking trail with only one problem for me, to be truly appreciated it needs to be walked, jogged or run on and with my knees as they are I couldn't even walk on it without buckling. I biked 101.01 miles yesterday without a single twinge of knee pain and yet after biking to Walmart this morning, 1.5 miles at 6AM, for food shopping my knees were trash talking to me. :mad:

Enjoy the trail and I'm wishing I was there enjoying it. Looks like I am going to have to cancel my annual walk in the Walt Disney World's Marathon Weekend Mickey Marathon in January. Just means more time for biking.

Machka 05-13-19 05:53 AM

One of our local running trails. :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4879/4...08d8f516_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4864/4...c1813689_c.jpg

TakingMyTime 05-13-19 08:02 AM

20+ years ago I ran for an hour 6 days a week. I loved it and couldn't imagine every stopping, but I did. I've tried to get back into it multiple times but I just don't think it's in me any more. I will keep trying except I'm not getting to far. I really wish I could regain that spark.

TimothyH 05-13-19 08:22 AM

On my run I discovered a civil war era iron furnace.

Scale is difficult to show but this thing is well over two stories tall.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a7d60f9819.jpg

Incidentally, one who doesn't know what poison ivy looks like would be in big trouble in these woods.

-Tim-

fietsbob 05-13-19 08:24 AM

My older friend is better for walking his Dog around a hilly loop, daily,

than I am riding my bike a lot, then trying to walk with him.

berner 05-13-19 08:27 AM

Very nice looking trails. Walking or running is soothing when the scenery is attractive. I used to enjoy running but at some point years ago it caused a painful back but walking is still in the mix.

Hondo Gravel 05-13-19 08:43 AM

Nice photos! Now I miss hiking I used to do a lot of it. Long day hikes up to 20 miles. I told myself I will start hiking again but cycling has dominated. I have the gear and much of my bike stuff can double duty for hiking. I need to mix things up for the sake of sanity :lol:

Carbonfiberboy 05-13-19 10:51 PM

60 miles, 2700' on the tandem Sunday, 7.2 miles, 2200' hiking Monday. Really rocky, steep trail for a couple miles each way. I always carry a large backpack as a training aid. I've tried running periodically, but it eats into my cycling too much. Instead I go to the gym and lift as heavy as I can. I'm osteoporotic, no idea why other than genetics. I've been hiking/running/lifting every since I was a kid. I started running a mile every day at 12.

canklecat 05-14-19 01:30 AM

I walk a lot. No running -- aggravates an old C2 neck injury. I might consider running again after this current round of physical therapy for the neck, back and shoulder injuries.

I stand fairly often to pedal, especially on climbs. I'd be surprised if that doesn't qualify as weight bearing. It's sure harder than sitting and spinning uphill. Feels about as hard as stair climbing exercises.

But if only impact type running counts as weight bearing to satisfy the current theories about bone health, I'm out.

John E 05-14-19 03:22 PM

I do about a marathon's worth of fast walking every week as part of my commute to work and to the YMCA, where I do upper body/trunk weight training to preserve what little I have up there. Bicycling gives me the aerobic workout that walking can't. I used to jog for part of my commute, but have battled bilateral Achilles tendinitis for a couple of years. The situation is improving, so I may be able to resume some jogging, at least on softer surfaces such as the beach or a dirt trail. No concrete, and only a limited amount of asphalt.

TimothyH 05-14-19 04:05 PM

One of my friends plays basketball, mostly because he loves it but it is also a good weight bearing exercise.

Some of those pickup games get rough!

BKE 05-15-19 01:58 PM

The fact that you say "you don't really have a point to make here" and that "you are really having FUN" makes this the most enjoyable of your threads that I've read.

With that said, I've put in many many many recreational/health conscious running miles over the years but did stop when the knees/joints/back seemed to be saying "enough". But, just recently I read an article that was saying stopping due to a few aches and pains might not be the best course of action so I'm thinking of giving it another go, low and slow (as they say in BBQ'ing). My question to you is "what made you choose the "Zero Gravity" shoe (it's a new term to me) ? It isn't like you here on the forum to not have done the research, so I'm sure you did, would you share? Thanks.

wphamilton 05-15-19 02:30 PM

I needed the third try to start running without hurting myself, and I thought maybe I'd waited too long. I made the first attempt at age 56 or 57. Start to feel good, ramp it up and hurt an ankle. Then a knee, or shin splints, or foot and heels. Until I finally figured it out and (knock on wood) I'm running 5 or 6 days a week consistently now without injuries. And still improving my speed and endurance. That's my weight bearing exercise, but I suspect it may not be sufficient by itself to retain bone mass and full skeletal muscle health.

I am convinced that running does not necessarily wear out our joints, or lead to various injuries, or even necessarily aggravate old injuries. If we have enough kinesthetic awareness and the self-discipline to *never* "push through" when we feel something stressed beyond a normal limit.

TimothyH 05-15-19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BKE (Post 20931630)
My question to you is "what made you choose the "Zero Gravity" shoe (it's a new term to me) ? It isn't like you here on the forum to not have done the research, so I'm sure you did, would you share? Thanks.

“There is no problem which can’t be solved with a sufficiently large spreadsheet.” :)

I’m pretty sure I wrote zero drop and not zero gravity. They have a flat footbed. The heel is not raised like most running shoes, or to put it another way, there is “zero drop” from the heel to the toe.

I’d read about them but honestly, I wandered into the running specialty store, tried them on, they were comfy and I bought them.

This was a rare moment of spontenaity for a melancholic.

-Tim-

dmark 05-15-19 08:17 PM

Deadlifts.
Started doing them 3 years ago and feel great. 62 next month.
Hits everything from hands to feet. (almost; upper back not so much)

BKE 05-16-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20931894)

I’m pretty sure I wrote zero drop and not zero gravity.

I’d read about them but honestly, I wandered into the running specialty store, tried them on, they were comfy and I bought them.

This was a rare moment of spontenaity for a melancholic.

-Tim-

Yes you did, my mistake.
IMO an occasional impulse buy usually ends up leaving the buyer wearing a smile. :thumb:
After you feel you've gotten a good break in maybe let us know what you think of them.
Thanks for the reply.

TimothyH 05-16-19 02:30 PM

I was thinking today....

Using a good Groucho Marx voice...

Weight bearing? Why I'm bearing more and more weight every day!

Originally Posted by BKE (Post 20932821)
Yes you did, my mistake.
IMO an occasional impulse buy usually ends up leaving the buyer wearing a smile. :thumb:
After you feel you've gotten a good break in maybe let us know what you think of them.
Thanks for the reply.

I ran four miles. They feel like slippers. :)

Really weird shape but lots of room in the footbox for the toes to spread out.

Altra Lone Peak 4

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e3a33f730.jpg

bikemig 05-16-19 02:39 PM

I picked up a fitbit around 2 years ago and rediscovered the beauty of walking. I like to mix up hard days on the bike with a long but more leisurely day of walking. When I want a hard work out walking, I do hill repeats and some running to get my heart rate up.

bargeon 05-16-19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dmark (Post 20932110)
Deadlifts.
Started doing them 3 years ago and feel great. 62 next month.
Hits everything from hands to feet. (almost; upper back not so much)

Try dead lifts with a hex bar. A bit better for the back

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...93b5f7eda7.jpg

dmark 05-17-19 07:26 AM

I'd like to try a trap bar but they are not cheap. I lift in my basement with freeweights and I am too cheap and lazy to join and go to a gym.
Conservative approach up to body weight +20 in 4 sets after 3 yrs 2x per week.
TRX rows for the upper back and superman plank (on ball) for neck area completes the routine.

FrenchFit 05-17-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20926611)

In the interim a local city has put together a stellar trail system which I recently discovered. An exploration walk led to a hike which led to a run and now I go twice per week. Today I decided to invest in a nice pair of trail running shoes - one of those zero drop natural foot shape shoes from Altra.

Be real careful with zero drop, our old achilles and calfs are not used to that degree of extension, and those lower leg injuries take a very long time to heal. I backed up to 4mm, and seems as low as I can safely go.

Trail running with hill work is a heck of a work-out.

FrenchFit 05-17-19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 20931684)
I am convinced that running does not necessarily wear out our joints, or lead to various injuries, or even necessarily aggravate old injuries. If we have enough kinesthetic awareness and the self-discipline to *never* "push through" when we feel something stressed beyond a normal limit.

This. Knee surgery ended my tennis playing in my 20s... now a 6ft, 190lb, 66 yo runner...I've had zero joint and inflammation issues avg. 5-8 mile runs 3 times a week for years. My advice would include -- a) never listen to anything a shoe company tells you -> especially Nike, 2) it is all about technique and good running hygiene, (before and after practices), and 3) the right supplement can make a significant difference, and for me I found Cold Pressed Flax Seed Oil gives me a nice recovery and happy knees, .... and as you say 4) you need a good listener to what your body is telling you.