Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Keep your disks away from me (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174693)

popeye 06-03-19 01:19 PM

Keep your disks away from me

Troll.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...c-brake-425947

PepeM 06-03-19 01:22 PM

I liked this title better:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ers-again.html

Seattle Forrest 06-03-19 01:27 PM

I was pulled over for speeding once, caused by bad journalism.

redlude97 06-03-19 03:48 PM

Gotta watch out for the TAs also... NSFW https://www.******.com/r/Velo/commen...ugh_axles_are/

edit: r e d d i t

GlennR 06-03-19 04:04 PM

Crashing at 50KpH on a mountain road can cause serious injury.

Maybe they should only let them ride on flat straight roads?

Cyclist0108 06-03-19 04:13 PM

Looks like a dork-disc amputation injury to me.

CliffordK 06-03-19 04:19 PM

From a couple of years ago, there was enough evidence that road racing puts cyclists at substantial risk from OTHER people's bikes.

This is different from MTB which is more of a solo sport, even if done in a group. Also speeds are different.

They could put guards around the discs. Perhaps bash guards around the chainrings too. :foo:

Unfortunately, road racing has long been dominated by a minimalistic bare skeletal design since the beginning.

How light can one make the bike and still make it functional?

Yet, one could make an Carbon fiber or PVC/ABS disc guard that would only be a few grams, and could offer substantial protection.

Molded rubber (allowing some flex for mounting wheels, but still giving wrap-around protection).

Mount the guard to the axle so it stays with the wheel?

Will this take a permanent, and non-recoverable injury to a big-name cyclist like Sagan to actually get notice?

CliffordK 06-03-19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20960464)
The bike manufactuers is playing with fire. There's already a river of evidence on the danger of disc breaks. The longer they wait to do something about it, the bigger the judgement will be when someone is killed by the sharp disc.

I wasn't thinking of death...

Death would require something like a neck injury, or bleeding out, which hasn't happened so far.

But, say losing half of one's calf (which would be dangerous without immediate medical attention).

Still something bad enough to send a top tier rider into retirement, or leave them with a permanent limp or unable to ride a bike.

Cyclist0108 06-03-19 04:35 PM

Creates a whole new meaning for the idea of racing with sew-ups.

dmanthree 06-03-19 05:14 PM

Yeah..

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20960449)
Never a disc break for me.

I'm riding my Roubaix for the third summer, and mine have never broken, either.

TimothyH 06-03-19 05:20 PM

This thread is deja vu all over again.

-Tim-

colnago62 06-03-19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2 (Post 20960427)
Crashing at 50KpH on a mountain road can cause serious injury.

Maybe they should only let them ride on flat straight roads?

It was Paris Roubaix. It probably was flat.

GlennR 06-03-19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 20960587)
It was Paris Roubaix. It probably was flat.

Certainly not a smooth surface.

BTW, my road bike has carbon wheels with rim brakes and my CX has disc.

cthenn 06-04-19 10:11 AM

That picture was effing gross.

On the subject, idgaf anymore. Disc people and rim people, can we all just get along?

PepeM 06-04-19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20960479)
creates a whole new meaning for the idea of racing with sew-ups.

:D

dots

WhyFi 06-04-19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 20961632)
On the subject, idgaf anymore. Disc people and rim people, can we all just get along?

Religious matters are always tricky.

Litespud 06-05-19 10:59 PM

I don’t really buy the disc danger. I’ve heard of riders being injured by spokes, chainrings, there’s even one rider skewered by the lever from a thru axle, but I have yet to see an actual disc injury with an unequivocal “smoking gun”, a bloodstained disc in the vicinity after the incident. Every injury seems to involve someone who is convinced that a disc did the damage, but there’s never any actual proof, as far as I’m aware. I have seen YouTubes of someone trying to cut things with a spinning disc, to little effect

diphthong 06-05-19 11:08 PM

i suppose once they rubber coat the edges, it wont be a problem. not holding my breath...

dmanthree 06-06-19 10:48 AM

Nonsense.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20960464)
The bike manufactuers is playing with fire. There's already a river of evidence on the danger of disc breaks. The longer they wait to do something about it, the bigger the judgement will be when someone is killed by sharp disc.

Nonsense. The discs I use have dull rounded edges, nowhere near sharp. And given the disc's close proximity to the hub I find it hard to believe anyone's leg or body part could squeeze themselves close enough to actually cause damage. River of evidence? Doubtful. Every article I've seen presents NO conclusive proof, only anecdotal BS and supposition.

indyfabz 06-06-19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20965472)
Not sure why there's so much obstanance with disc break safety.
Every item of a bicycle is smoothed and rounded for both aero and safety...except the disc break rotor.

If you owned a bike I would suggest that you slam the side of your ankle into a chain ring tooth and report back. Maybe you can borrow one?

MoAlpha 06-06-19 11:08 AM

I don't see why everyone's so worried about disc wounds. They're self-cauterizing, at least on steep descents where those awful crashes happen.

Seattle Forrest 06-06-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20965472)
Not sure why there's so much obstanance with disc break safety.

Me either. Why would people want inferior brakes? Lag time in the rain for something you'll need in an emergency, no thanks.

Seattle Forrest 06-06-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 20964754)
I don’t really buy the disc danger. I’ve heard of riders being injured by spokes, chainrings, there’s even one rider skewered by the lever from a thru axle, but I have yet to see an actual disc injury with an unequivocal “smoking gun”, a bloodstained disc in the vicinity after the incident. Every injury seems to involve someone who is convinced that a disc did the damage, but there’s never any actual proof, as far as I’m aware. I have seen YouTubes of someone trying to cut things with a spinning disc, to little effect

This.

tagaproject6 06-06-19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20960560)
This thread is deja vu all over again.

-Tim-

That's just the matrix is changing a program.

base2 06-06-19 12:58 PM

This just in: Rider who crashed while racing reports injury.