Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Warmer temps coming (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1169055)

_ForceD_ 03-25-19 09:46 AM

Warmer temps coming

Looks like temps into the 60s°F will finally move into our coastal southern New England area for the upcoming weekend. I know that some of will still have a few more weeks of cooler temps. But, it's this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.

Dan

rumrunn6 03-25-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 20853994)
this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.

I agree but recently someone reminded me w have contributors from Australia & New Zealand on the other side of the planet that have winter opposite from "us". March/April are so cruel tho. next week forecast shows rain/no sun. wutz up w/ that?

parkbrav 03-25-19 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 20853994)
Looks like temps into the 60s°F will finally move into our coastal southern New England area for the upcoming weekend. I know that some of will still have a few more weeks of cooler temps. But, it's this time of year that the Winter Cycling forum begins to go dark. Will the last one out please shut off the lights. Enjoy your summer riding. See ya in the fall.

Dan

There was a good suggestion made on another thread - check back in for info on off-season sales on winter cycling swag

_ForceD_ 03-25-19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20854002)
I agree but recently someone reminded me w have contributors from Australia & New Zealand on the other side of the planet that have winter opposite from "us". March/April are so cruel tho. next week forecast shows rain/no sun. wutz up w/ that?

Oh true! So sorry you 'down unders.' I didn't intentionally overlook you. Maybe I should say...we now hand off operation of the Winter Forum to those of you in the southern hemisphere.

Dan

noglider 03-31-19 12:50 PM

Spring weather is often frustrating because it's warmer but not downright warm. Well, for some reason, I am enjoying it more now than in any other year. It's cool and damp, and I'm loving it. I can't explain it.

I took a ride by myself yesterday in the country. I knew not to do a big distance because I'm in my winter condition. I've been riding but less. I did 16 miles, some very hilly. One hill was a 1,000 ft climb in 3 miles. I like tough climbs. My top speed going down was 43 mph.

KraneXL 03-31-19 01:42 PM

In fact, unlike last year I predict a very warm spring/summer for 2019. At least here in SoCal. Right now its great outdoor activity weather though. But come later in the season, don't forget to stay hydrated.

BTW, my I had on tomato plant to survive the winter and has already begun blooming again. Pretty sweet for tomatoes that don't survive in the cold.

fietsbob 03-31-19 02:31 PM

Raining or Burning..

Oregon this year had the main Pacific storm track coming ashore further south, Nor Cal ..

so this year's Forest Fire Season may start sooner.. Air quality went down fast last year .
Even on the coast , the BC fires in Canada had lots of particulares aloft .. affecting people here..

SylvainG 03-31-19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20863194)
Spring weather is often frustrating because it's warmer but not downright warm. Well, for some reason, I am enjoying it more now than in any other year. It's cool and damp, and I'm loving it. I can't explain it.

I took a ride by myself yesterday in the country. I knew not to do a big distance because I'm in my winter condition. I've been riding but less. I did 16 miles, some very hilly. One hill was a 1,000 ft climb in 3 miles. I like tough climbs. My top speed going down was 43 mph.

Have they swept the roads there? Here, roads and paths are still covered with winter abrasives and I wouldn't even venture riding at that speed. One hill on my commute I take at 60 km/h normally but at this time of the year, I think my max speed was around 30 km/h. It does lightly veer left mid way and a more pronounced right at the bottom so that doesn't help either.

noglider 03-31-19 02:55 PM

@SylvainG, I didn't have a problem. Perhaps the rain took care of it. Well, I did get dirty, but I didn't need to slow down because of a loose surface.

SylvainG 03-31-19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20863328)
@SylvainG, I didn't have a problem. Perhaps the rain took care of it. Well, I did get dirty, but I didn't need to slow down because of a loose surface.

Must be raining really hard where you are :innocent: Here, on some roads and paths, abrasive stays for weeks after all the snow has melted. Took a fall two years ago going around a corner because I slipped on that abrasive.

noglider 03-31-19 07:33 PM

Hmm, I don't know. That doesn't happen here, for whatever reason. Is it hillier here, or do we use less schmutz? I don't know.

CliffordK 03-31-19 07:50 PM

I was out a bit today. It was chilly this morning, then very nice this afternoon.

Unfortunately I hit the bike path in the early afternoon, and everyone and their dog was out walking. Lots of dogs.

wipekitty 04-01-19 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SylvainG (Post 20863319)
Have they swept the roads there? Here, roads and paths are still covered with winter abrasives and I wouldn't even venture riding at that speed. One hill on my commute I take at 60 km/h normally but at this time of the year, I think my max speed was around 30 km/h.

We've got that problem in western Wisconsin as well. There are also a lot of potholes that have not yet been filled as well as rough surfaces created by salt and water runoff.

I did get some good speeds the other day (38 MPH/61 km/h), but it was on my gravel bike with gravel tires in order to handle the debris and bumps better. I also ride single speed this time of year, which is good training and also limits my top speeds.

There are no street sweepers in the rural areas, so we really need the rain to come and wash the salt, sand, and gravel away. Snow is still possible, and then it will be dry again, so the roads might be dirty for a little while still.

phtomita 04-01-19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20863697)
I was out a bit today. It was chilly this morning, then very nice this afternoon.

Unfortunately I hit the bike path in the early afternoon, and everyone and their dog was out walking. Lots of dogs.

Around here too... there are people walking on early nice weather and they are in three, and I saw four people walking, jogging side by side on the mup.
Yesterday, there was a triple walking and I started ringing my bell from 200 ft or so since I saw a bike coming other way.
The lady didn't move right and was walking in the middle of the path, so I have to speed down, almost stop and then pass when it was clear.

CliffordK 04-01-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by phtomita (Post 20864440)
Around here too... there are people walking on early nice weather and they are in three, and I saw four people walking, jogging side by side on the mup.
Yesterday, there was a triple walking and I started ringing my bell from 200 ft or so since I saw a bike coming other way.
The lady didn't move right and was walking in the middle of the path, so I have to speed down, almost stop and then pass when it was clear.

Most of the people that I passed were walking to the right. But, one still should slow down a bit, and announce oneself. And, hopefully cut through a hole without bikes or pedestrians passing from the opposite direction.

In one section of path, it became almost constant. More people than I've seen out in quite some time.

Noonievut 04-06-19 07:02 PM

I must confess I was a bad boy this winter (Zwift), but I got out more than five times in December, three times in each of Jan and Feb, a good amount in March and haven’t ridden indoors last five rides. Hopefully I’m outside until next December!

I still think I’m in the top (or bottom) 1% because I see almost no one on the roads Dec-Mar (hour outside Toronto). Not sure if it’s where I live, but I see 90% of the riders I’ll see in a year, July-August. I have friends who still refuse to ride outside because of ‘salt’, lol, I have steel bikes and have only wiped salt off once in the 10-20 rides I did this winter.

KraneXL 04-06-19 09:06 PM

Those warmer temps can't come around soon enough for me. I grow weary of the cold. Earlier this week, it was forecast to get up to 90 by the weekend, but instead it was unusually cold yesterday, and I had to go out for a doctor's visit and to transact some business. Generally, I hibernate all winter.

My NYs resolution is to drop down to 10% bf which has been a goal of mine for sometime now. I realize it a lofty challenge, but I need it to keep myself motivated and from becoming sedentary. I've lost fat before so I know its mostly diet, but once you hit 12% your body will hold on to the remainder for dear life. A survival mechanism I suppose?

As of right now I'm around 12%, I still haven't even started my scheduled aerobics yet which should be good for another 2%. I doubt 10% is sustainable long-term, but I just want to know if it can be done, and what it takes to get there.

SylvainG 04-06-19 09:41 PM

Can't wait for the warmer temperature to finally stick around... Forecasting freezing rain Sunday night :cry:

Today is the 145th day with at least 1cm of snow on the ground. A record since 1955 (the day they started recording this statistic where I am). I doubt it will disappear by the end of next week. Forecasting snow again Tuesday.

https://i.imgur.com/paOdRKO.png

gecho 04-07-19 11:34 AM

We were just off the podium for consecutive days where the minimum temperature was at or below 0C. 4th place with 191 days spanning Sept 25 to April 3. The weather last fall was the worst I can ever remember. Currently daytime highs are mostly under 10C, quite nice but not nice enough for the fair weather riders yet.

KraneXL 04-07-19 02:26 PM

Ah, finally some nice mild temps with a bit of humidity (making it feel even warmer) scheduled for this week. A welcome change. Although about 10 degrees above the perfect cycling temps. But definitely time to get out and enjoy the ride. Is it Spring yet?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d7c024ba9.jpg

DrIsotope 04-07-19 03:45 PM

Warmer temps aren't coming, they're already here.

https://i.imgur.com/vpL5NfO.png

Though I must say the wet winter has made the spring weather bipolar-- today was two full bottles of water, yesterday I didn't even take water for a 90 minute ride, because when I hit the road it was mostly cloudy and about 60º.

Marcus_Ti 04-07-19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20873961)
Warmer temps aren't coming, they're already here.

https://i.imgur.com/vpL5NfO.png

Though I must say the wet winter has made the spring weather bipolar-- today was two full bottles of water, yesterday I didn't even take water for a 90 minute ride, because when I hit the road it was mostly cloudy and about 60º.

Winter is coming, here. Again. :troll:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...87bdd1366e.png

wipekitty 04-08-19 10:06 PM

We had our fun! Low 70s and sunny today (I worked for 11 hours of course). Now it's back to business time.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ea7969b50d.jpg

noglider 04-10-19 06:43 PM

I'm already enjoying the weather, but I'll enjoy it even more when I can wear shorts on the bike. I don't like to wear them when the temperature is below 50º or 55ºF, and we are still getting that often.

gecho 04-11-19 09:41 AM

Its been cooler this week, but I'm not letting low single digit C temps keep me from riding. Far better weather than other parts of the continent are getting. When its cooler I've been riding my mtb since the saddle height is still at my winter clipless boot height.

I've also been sticking to the city which is reminding me why I don't like riding in the city. Motorists constantly trying to yield their right of way to me while I'm stopped with my foot down, which is more annoying than dangerous since I stay put and wave them past. On a bike you just can't do the same sort of thing a vehicle does without startling the skittish motorists. Rolling out half way and stopping at the median invariably causes a driver to panic and stop in the middle of the road, so I avoid doing it. Where the MUP crosses the road I'll hold back 20 feet from the intersection looking for a clear spot, if I stop at the road drivers will try stopping for me nearly 100% of the time (with trailing vehicles occasionally blowing past the stopped vehicle using the parking lane). I have a bunch of routes that minimize drivers doing this, but for the past month I've been covering all the roads I usually ignore as I wait for warmer weather.