Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gaining 4mph Without Fitness (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179713)

Debo3osu 07-29-19 09:38 PM

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

I see a lot of people asking how to make their bike faster and everyone’s response is always “get more fit” or “be more aero.” That’s great and all, but my fitness hasn’t changed much but I’m 4mph faster on average. How? Hint: It will take $ but can be done.

Background: Got into road cycling 3 years ago for a charity ride, bought a cheap aluminum Motobecane junker with aluminum spd pedals. Felt like it weighed 30 pounds. Averaged 15mph on a good day and 16mph if I really pushed it.

After my wife finished several minutes ahead of me on her ultralight S-Works I decided that would never happen again.

Step 1: Get a carbon bike. Any carbon bike will add 1mph simply because it is lighter and has better power transfer.

So you can gain ~1mph just by getting any carbon bike.

Step 2. Don’t get just any carbon bike. Get a NICE carbon bike. Lightweight. Aero. Great components. Carbon wheels. These will run you $5-10k. I got the Canyon Endurace SLX 9 with SRAM Red eTap. Definitely wasn’t cheap, but added another 1mph because of further weight reduction and better components.

So far I’ve added ~2mph simply by spending money. This is a much better solution than getting fit.

Step 3: Replace anything that isn’t carbon with carbon. This includes seatpost, stem, bar, saddle, cranks and pedals. I only had to change a few things as the Canyon was already set up pretty well. I got the Specialized Power Pro carbon saddle with titanium rails (Canyon setup wouldn’t take larger carbon rails), carbon cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Again, the carbon not only reduces weight but also reduces vibration and increases rider comfort and power transfer.

Step 4: Get lightweight carbon shoes with SPD-SL red clips (0 degrees of motion) that fit correctly and have them set up professionally to ensure maximum power transfer (carbon on carbon) and no knee injuries.

Steps 3 and 4 added about 0.5mph.

Step 5: Get a complete proper fitting. You may want to do this before buying new bars, stem, etc. I had to get a new Canyon aerobar to fit me properly. Also make sure you have the right saddle width. The right setup will increase your power transfer and reduce injury.

Step 6: Improve your technique (independent of fitness). Get a power meter, cadence meter and speed meter and integrate with Garmin Edge. Read articles about technique and use these tools to improve.

Steps 5 and 6 add another 0.5mph. We’re now at a 3mph improvement.

Step 7: Get fast tires. Specifically, focus on rolling resistance but also factor in puncture resistance so that you have confidence at speed. Tubes or tubeless, your choice. I like tubes and run 50g Conti butyl tubes with Conti 5000 tires. Can’t go wrong. The Specialized Cotton Turbo is also a good choice. Go wide (25-28) and keep at the ideal psi (plenty of articles out there based on your tire).

Step 8: Adjust your brake levers. You’ll have a lot more confidence during high-speed descents if the levers are at your fingertips. If you can’t figure it out take it to your LBS.

Step 9: Keep your bike clean, especially the chain and gears. Plenty of good stuff out there, I like Park Tool’s cleaner. Clean chains = fast bike.

Step 10: Get aero. Wind resistance is your biggest enemy at speed. In addition to getting an aero bike, get form-fitting jerseys and shorts (I’m a huge fan of Pearl Pros), a light aero helmet, aero gloves, and socks. Learn to get in an aero position during sprints/descents. If you really want to get crazy and shave your body, go for it. Get rid of that bulky seat post bag and only carry what you need. I use Specialized’s integrated SWAT Road Bandit tube holder. Saves weight and lost energy through things jostling. Get light bottles and only carry them if you need them.

Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it. And that is solo. Plus, it made me love riding so much that I’ve also improved fitness and have added an extra 1-2mph. Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

So there you have it. 3 years ago I’m a 40 year old golfer that thought biking was for losers, now I’m at the front of grand fondos.

Can’t afford all this stuff? Not my problem. Stop wasting time doing nonsense and do something with yourself so that you can buy nice things on a whim. Or just work on your fitness I guess.

seypat 07-29-19 09:47 PM

I'm not paying a toll for crossing your bridge.

surak 07-29-19 09:52 PM

Dang, after 3 years of riding with a power meter, your fitness hasn't changed much? :rolleyes:

king_solom0n 07-29-19 09:53 PM

Yeah the first four steps can be ignored. The rest is mostly good though. :thumb:

Jon T 07-29-19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 21050962)
I'm not paying a toll for crossing your bridge.

+1000
Jon

seau grateau 07-29-19 10:08 PM

Do a wheelie.

redlude97 07-29-19 10:11 PM

Lol $10k bike to avg 20mph

Dopefish905 07-29-19 10:16 PM

:popcorn

Well this should be a good one..

ridingfool 07-29-19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97 (Post 21050987)

Maybe for 20k he can average 22mph

runnergoneridin 07-29-19 11:07 PM

Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

noodle soup 07-29-19 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Debo3osu (Post 21050952)
My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

:foo:

Sometimes it's not about finishing first.

:innocent:

CarloM 07-29-19 11:38 PM

In fairness, in megacities like LA and NYC people pay way more than that to average way less speed...for cars. :lol:

woodcraft 07-30-19 12:08 AM

Miles ahead in minutes =~ 60 mph= car. Maybe that's why your wife won't ride with you.

I've actually down all that stuff (except the pro fit & the clean bike) but I'm a couple mph slower than when I was 20 on a steel bike with baggy shorts.

Maybe could get those gains by moving to Texas or such.

noodle soup 07-30-19 12:18 AM

Epic first post.

noodle soup 07-30-19 12:21 AM

I smell some Ti-6Al-4V

znomit 07-30-19 01:56 AM

This is great advice. I'll add you can buy the roading company and get them to put smoother asphalt on your favourite routes. That should run you $30-40million but worth 1mph so why wouldn't you?

RChung 07-30-19 02:43 AM

Great first post. You'll fit in well here.

My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

More likely you're miles ahead in a matter of minutes cuz your wife doesn't want to be anywhere near you.

nomadmax 07-30-19 03:17 AM

Welcome GIGJAM.

Gee
I'm
Great
Just
Ask
Me

smarkinson 07-30-19 04:19 AM

Nice.

Needs more dialing up to 400W though. You need a witty catchphrase if you want to become part of BF folklore.

delbiker1 07-30-19 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by superdex (Post 21051005)
so you improved your ride (25%), got serious about fitness (75%), and now you're an elite prick? Congrats!

Egomaniac with an inferiority complex.

datlas 07-30-19 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21051083)
I smell some Ti-6Al-4V

I smell what you did there. And it stinks!

MyTi 07-30-19 05:52 AM

Everything made sense except the wife part since i highly doubt you are married.

jamesdak 07-30-19 06:11 AM

Right! I wonder how I'm able to manage a 20 mph avg on so many of my old steel C&V bikes that cost me a couple of hundred? :foo:

:p:p:p

datlas 07-30-19 06:17 AM

You know, I re-read the OP and there are actually a few nuggets of good advice hiding in there.

Specifically, Steps 5 and 6 are worthy of consideration: proper fit and proper training.

fishboat 07-30-19 06:29 AM

Boom, there you have it.

..blah blah..

All that cash and you're still a loser.

Get an e-bike and go faster yet..but you'll still be a loser.

Yet another candidate for the ever-growing "ignore" list..