Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Scott Addict RC Pro 2020 strip and detail (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192492)

Winny42 01-23-20 09:12 AM

Scott Addict RC Pro 2020 strip and detail

Hello All, Im currently going through my process of stripping and detailing my newly acquired Addict RC Pro and thought it may be of interest to others to document it.

Essentially I wanted to make sure that the bike was as near as perfect condition as I could get it and then to protect it to make it easier to keep that way being that its now my best bike.

The spec is a standard Scott Addict RC Pro (Duraace Mech 9120 groupset) but with the Wheels upgraded to Reynolds Aero 46 DB. I also opted to swap the DA rotors for something a bit prettier in my eyes, the SRAM Centreline X.
When I picked the bike up it was, as can probably be expected, covered in greasy fingerprints and in some areas a nice film of assembly grease. and so that needed a good chemical degreasing too. With me being into detailing the cars too and having all of the products and machinery required I thought I may aswell go the whole hog and get it fully corrected and ceramic coated.
To start with I removed the chain and fully degreased it along with the whole drive train to then utilise Molten Speed Wax as my lubricant thus keeping it as clean as can be.

Ive already done a few bits, namely the wheels and the chainset to completion, they are now sat waiting to be reinstalled once the frame is complete. The main brunt of the work, the frame, will be tackled on Saturday so ill update with a few posts if interested?

If anyone is interested in this let me know and Ill write up the first few steps ive done so far with progress pics etc

Kedosto 01-23-20 11:04 AM

So you’ve stripped it down to the frame in order to clean it? That’s a level of dedication I don’t think I could ever muster. Perhaps a few pix would help tell the full story.

-Kedosto

shelbyfv 01-23-20 11:48 AM

Most of us clean our bikes pretty regularly, but go for it if you must....:foo:

TiHabanero 01-23-20 12:15 PM

I find keeping the components clean is more labor intensive than keeping the frame itself clean. Especially brake calipers and derailleurs. Road grit gets inside the mechanisms and it requires disassembly to fully remove it.

Winny42 01-23-20 01:00 PM

Well it seems there are no detailers on the forum lol. Theres clean and theres clean but if no actual detailing hobbyists about then I'll not bother posting it.

Phil_gretz 01-23-20 01:41 PM

I admire your dedication...

to keeping the bike "just right" after receiving it. What do you plan for regular cleaning with use? Will this be an annual event, with routine cleanings between?

For me, I might only do a detailed clean like that at the time of building. After that, maybe an occasional wipe, lube, adjust as necessary. Even my commuter bike gets some lube and adjustment, but little in the way of cleaning. I'm guessing that you'd be repulsed. It's okay.

Kedosto 01-23-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Winny42 (Post 21296889)
Well it seems there are no detailers on the forum lol. Theres clean and theres clean but if no actual detailing hobbyists about then I'll not bother posting it.

Actually, I’d like to see the process. If nothing else, it will bring about a discussion on products and techniques. Currently, I simply spray a multipurpose cleaner (Pledge or Windex) on a microfiber towel and wipe everything down. And I do mean everything.

In fairness, my bike is always stored indoors; either a carpeted section of my garage or in the second story office of the hospital where I work. Because I have to walk the bike through the hospital, it’s gotta be super clean. In the winter I wipe it down before entering the building if it’s been raining.

Honestly, I wish I had the discipline to be even more of a detailing enthusiast but my mileage and time constraints don’t afford me the time. The multipurpose cleaner does a great job. Nobody ever believes when I tell them my commuter has nearly 20k miles in under four years.

-Kedosto

Winny42 01-23-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21296958)
to keeping the bike "just right" after receiving it. What do you plan for regular cleaning with use? Will this be an annual event, with routine cleanings between?

For me, I might only do a detailed clean like that at the time of building. After that, maybe an occasional wipe, lube, adjust as necessary. Even my commuter bike gets some lube and adjustment, but little in the way of cleaning. I'm guessing that you'd be repulsed. It's okay.

Well the coatings and the fact I'll be waxing the chain should mean it keeps pristine fairly easily. It wont be getting ridden in bad weather either but I'll likely do a strip detail again annually as I do with my foil. My winter bike gets far more abuse but does clean up very well due to the coatings and stuff so a summer bike should stay good n clean

mstateglfr 01-23-20 02:55 PM

Go for it. Most who are scared of their frame being scratched will clean it then add helicopter tape to impact points, but if you feel ceramic coating is required, then post some pics and take people thru the process.

I refurbish older bikes and build up all my bikes from the frame, so I get the idea of cleaning, but once the bike is built and being used, my cleaning is mostly limited to water and rags that may have old grease from the chain. Many say they would rather ride than do maintenance or clean a bike, and I get that concept, but I would take it a step further and say that it ends up I do most anything besides fully tear down a bike just to clean it. History shows Ill lay on the couch and watch most anything before I disassemble a rear derailleur to clean all the parts.

Rides4Beer 02-07-20 01:16 PM

You're not the only one. I'm picking up a new bike next week, first thing I'm doing is a full paint correction on it (I won't disassemble it tho lol). A lot of people don't understand how much better factory paint can look with a little bit of work. My first bike had about 6k miles on it when I sold it, looked brand new.

Saw your pics in another thread, bike looks amazing. :thumb: