Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What are you doing today(C&V bicycle related)? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=991230)

Steve Whitlatch 01-25-15 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put together my Trek 560 Pro series frame to sell to a friend of mine. I had it built up 7 speed 105. Now it sports Dura Ace 8 Speed mixed with 600 Tri Color. I let him pick through my parts. Came out nice. Looks so good I don`t want to sell it to him anymore. Oh well, there will always be more bikes. :)

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430536

Fahrenheit531 01-25-15 11:05 PM

I tested the turpentine then transmission fluid theory of freewheel lubrication. Will ride it tomorrow, but looks and sounds clean as heck from here.

Velocivixen 01-26-15 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am on day 2 of my first EVER wheel build. I actually just finished it. Lacing was quick - like 45 minutes. It was the fine tensioning/truing that took the longest (in part because my hub had become loose unbeknownst to me and the side to side true I was trying for was actually caused by the hub being loose!!!!!). Don't ask how many hour I wasted because of that. Anyway I'm done.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430539

Tomorrow I will install new pawl springs on the planet cage pawls as well as the gear ring pawls of my Sturmey Archer Dyno-Three 1955 hub! I rebuilt it the other day and found the springs lacked "oomph" and the axle key was worn.

Lascauxcaveman 01-26-15 02:22 AM

Eight miles on my velo cheapo bike then drove almost 300 miles RT to take my daughter back to school (Again? I mean she Just left last week? Ugh; 3-day weekends! My 22-year-old Subie is gonna hit a quarter million miles this year. )

I that car sorta counts as C&V nowadays.

OldsCOOL 01-26-15 04:35 AM

I was swapping saddles between 3 bikes getting ready to make room for a better one.

scozim 01-26-15 10:40 AM

Hoping for a slow work day so I can actually start the Vitus 979 build which keeps staring at me every time I turnaround. If that doesn't pan out and the fog lifts it'll be a ride outside in the sun.

72Paramount 01-26-15 11:31 AM

Waiting on parts....

lasauge 01-26-15 11:39 AM

I'm going to ride one of my C&V bikes over to a nearby shop this afternoon for an interview, hopefully to turn my bike habit into a source of income. And after that, I'm going for a long ride to take advantage of the sunny, mild weather we're enjoying this week.

ThermionicScott 01-26-15 12:37 PM

I adjusted the chain and rode my dubiously-classic, dubiously-vintage Diamondback to work. ;)

SJX426 01-26-15 12:46 PM

Reading this forum!
Yesterday I was rearranging my garage and trying to figure out where to put forks and handlebars. Also trying to organize such that all the bike stuff is together or close to each other. Still trying to figure out how to effectively store tools between three toolboxes.

72Paramount 01-26-15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by lasauge (Post 17501538)
I'm going to ride one of my C&V bikes over to a nearby shop this afternoon for an interview, hopefully to turn my bike habit into a source of income. And after that, I'm going for a long ride to take advantage of the sunny, mild weather we're enjoying this week.

Good luck obtaining gainfull employment!! I often dream about opening a C&V lbs, but I don't think I could make a living here in modesto ca....... Maybe a boutique C&V in Monterey when I retire.

Kobe 01-27-15 07:21 AM

I swapped out the original Weinmann center pulls on my Kobe Capri for some new Tektro 800a's so I can fit wider tires on it. So much has been replaced on it over the years that the only original part remaining is the seat post.

randyjawa 01-28-15 12:51 PM

Riding this...

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...8&d=1421262465

in Jamaica, for the next three months:-)

mechanicmatt 01-28-15 02:55 PM

Enjoying the beautiful KC weather while wrenching on a bike outside.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7460/...751e5a95_c.jpg2008 Jamis Aurora v3.1

Danish guy 01-28-15 03:35 PM

Rode thru the rain to bring a friend the old rippled brake housings, so he could get on with a project. No jag wire for him, but he is coating the innards with teflon sleeving, so maybe?

And now i am swapping cranksets. Some new bikes to ride, come spring :)

r0ckh0und 01-28-15 03:37 PM

In massive purge mode here. Average about 5-10 C&V packages shipped a week since early Nov. We are planning downsize from a very large home with a very large basement to a very small home. Sold 4 bikes and 8 frames at the winter swaps and another dozen frames on ebay. Two this week.

Today......shipped some items to a fellow C&Ver.....full disclosure.......in a trade.

Also getting some things together for a visit to Working Bikes in Chicago tomorrow night. About 20 bikes/frames and some misc. parts. Hopefully I won't acquire much new stuff during the visit.

rhm 01-28-15 03:43 PM

I packed up an old fillet brazed Schwinn and UPSed it to another forum member. Also cut down a Wright's narrow saddle I had recovered a few weeks ago; that recovery hadn't come out quite right so I soaked it again and cut it down to a Swallow shape. Riveted a copper plate to join the flaps underneath.
Also cut an "imperial" type hole in the top of another saddle to see how I like that (and to see how it holds up).
Also made 3/4" leather straps to hold an old Brooks saddle bag to the bike... and I'm not done yet!

cyclotoine 01-28-15 03:52 PM

I put a used but less worn chain on my early 1980s swiss hand made Mairag (Reynolds 531 DB) and a freshly cleaned cassette and adjusted the shifting. Full disclosure, it's 10 speed shimano parts with campy 10 speed ergo (1st year of 10 speed chorus 2001 or so).

Fahrenheit531 01-28-15 03:58 PM

Rode over to BICAS, the Tucson bike co-op, for an RD and assorted whatnots. Snapped a pic of the Super Sport in front of the rust-and-chrome saguaro while I was there.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ps3f4209d0.jpg
(Southern Arizona winters absolutely do not suck.)

justin10054 01-28-15 05:17 PM

Thinking about putting the 45t chainring back on my Raleigh now that I live in an area with no hills.

marius.suiram 01-28-15 05:57 PM

I am almost done making parts a 1936 Elgin.
Then I should start cleaning them, the dirt is from 1950 probably.

BradH 01-28-15 06:06 PM

I rode 12 miles and built a set of wheels. Nothing fancy. 32H Sun CR18s, Sapim 2/1.8/2 spokes, brass nipples and Formula hubs.

big chainring 01-28-15 09:42 PM

My ebay find, '69 Witcomb frame, was delivered yesterday. Couldnt be happier. Beautifully crafted frame. Today I installed the BB, cranks, derailleurs. Need to get a headset. Sorted thru some wheels and trued up the best pair I have. Need to order up some tires. Its definitely the best bike I have ever owned. Should be one heck of a ride when its complete.

gaucho777 01-28-15 10:40 PM

I sold a early 70s Mercian tonight, and my streak continues. Over the past couple years, I've sold about a dozen bikes. In every case (except one in which I told a nice woman the bike was too small for her) I have sold the bike to the first person that came and saw it. I think it speaks to the fact I do a good job and don't price them too aggressively. I'd rather work on bikes and price them to move instead of trying to maximize sale price and deal with lots of flaky CL riff-raff.

I gave my wife a cut of the profits. She said, "Now you should sell another one of your bikes." :notamused: "Just be happy there is one less bike in the garage," I replied. The rest are keepers!

Oh, and I'm on this forum again. Does that count?

72Paramount 01-29-15 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up an old dl-1 loop frame project