Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bike jackets known for having good ZIPPERS (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=980929)

CompleteStreets 11-10-14 04:35 AM

Bike jackets known for having good ZIPPERS

From everything I've read, I'm convinced that Showers Pass makes a superior waterproof and reasonably breathable bike jacket. However, I've read an awful lot of reviews of people who complain about the zippers of the Showers Pass jackets. Many people say a zipper failure was the reason they had to replace the jacket altogether. Others say the zipper frequently gets stuck or is too stiff.

If I'm going to pay top dollar for a jacket, the last thing I want is zipper failure. Can anyone recommend a waterproof bicycle jacket with vents that is known for having quality zippers? I'll settle for something slightly less breathable than Showers Pass if I can have confidence that I'll get three or more years out of it, with smooth functioning of the zippers. Thanks.

bengreen79 11-10-14 05:39 AM

Neither of these are rain gear, but I have a Castelli and a Hincapie with good zippers. They both make various wet weather jackets so maybe that will help if no one has a specific recommendation.

pdlamb 11-10-14 10:15 AM

I've got a Showers Pass Transit jacket, which replaced a Commmuter jacket (IIRC) when the seam tape started giving out.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had no problems with the zippers.

ratell 11-10-14 10:33 AM

The being stiff I wouldn't worry about. My experience is that waterproof zippers are always stiff. Getting stuck or zipper failure is a problem to worry about. Why not just buy it from somewhere that offers a return policy?

modernjess 11-10-14 01:40 PM

I've had zippers fail on Pearl Izumi and Patagonia jackets and I've sent them back and they'e replaced them for free. These are well worn, not at all new jackets. In some instances I have asked them and they have replaced the spec zipper with a different (heavier tooth) zipper. This is the reason why I continue to buy their products over others.

So maybe the question is, not which companies spec better zippers but which companies stand behind their products better.

fietsbob 11-10-14 02:39 PM

Mine is Carhartt.. i dress like a Tow truck driver in the Dark season.

Fishmonger 11-10-14 02:42 PM

I wear a merino wool sweater. My commute is less than 30 minutes, so I don't mind getting a little wet. I'll stay warm.

TransitBiker 11-10-14 03:04 PM

Only thing i can recommend from experience is north face triclimate shell or hy-vent rain jacket.

- Andy

CompleteStreets 11-10-14 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by modernjess (Post 17293844)
So maybe the question is, not which companies spec better zippers but which companies stand behind their products better.

Thanks for this advice. I'm now considering getting a Patagonia Torrentshell jacket instead of a Showers Pass.

modernjess 11-10-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by CompleteStreets (Post 17294142)
Thanks for this advice. I'm now considering getting a Patagonia Torrentshell jacket instead of a Showers Pass.

I have that jacket. it's a great rain jacket although not really a full on cycling jacket like showers pass is. It does have long sleeves and a long tail and but it is not super form fitting nor does it have back pockets or reflective bits. With that said, I've worn it on the bike many times.

I will say that the waterproof zipper is stiff on that one but that is the nature of those so it's not surprising and it's holding up well. That is not (as yet) one of the ones I've had to have replaced. It's only a couple years old but, if I do I'm certain that Patagonia will stand behind it.

noglider 11-10-14 04:15 PM

You can lubricate a zipper with wax or bar soap.

scoatw 11-10-14 05:01 PM

I've had two Showers Pass jackets in the last seven years. I replaced both due to wear and the fact that both jackets, the zipper blew out on me. The second jacket, purchased in 2011, after the first few months, the zipper on the MP3 pocket broke. And it wasn't long after that, that the rear pocket zipper went.
So now I'm wearing a J&G rain jacket. We'll see how long this one lasts. So far, so good. The zipper is definitely better. And the pit zips(I meant pit vents) are a lot bigger. I'm confident that this jacket will hold up in the cold weather just as well as the SP.

TransitBiker 11-10-14 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17294366)
You can lubricate a zipper with wax or bar soap.

My grandpa taught me that one! :)

- Andy

CompleteStreets 11-11-14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by scoatw (Post 17294478)
I've had two Showers Pass jackets in the last seven years. I replaced both due to wear and the fact that both jackets, the zipper blew out on me. The second jacket, purchased in 2011, after the first few months, the zipper on the MP3 pocket broke. And it wasn't long after that, that the rear pocket zipper went.
So now I'm wearing a J&G rain jacket. We'll see how long this one lasts. So far, so good. The zipper is definitely better. And the pit zips are a lot bigger. I'm confident that this jacket will hold up in the cold weather just as well as the SP.

How long have you had the J&G rain jacket for? Thanks.

Booger1 11-11-14 01:51 PM

YKK are top of the line zippers.....#5 zipper is the smallest I will use on outdoor gear.

Waterproof zippers suck....wonderful while they work.....Better using a regular zipper with a good double storm flap.

scoatw 11-11-14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CompleteStreets (Post 17296769)
How long have you had the J&G rain jacket for? Thanks.

After the SP crapped out on me in Feb. I got the J&G jacket in May. It's half the price of the SP and just as comparable.

DiegoFrogs 11-11-14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Booger1 (Post 17297072)
YKK are top of the line zippers....

I have noticed this now for several decades. I've never had a YKK zipper fail. The Japanese quality control seems phenomenal.

CompleteStreets 11-11-14 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Booger1 (Post 17297072)
Waterproof zippers suck....wonderful while they work.....Better using a regular zipper with a good double storm flap.

This is something I've suspected and is why I'm in the frame of mind to avoid getting a jacket with waterproof zippers, even if it means getting slightly wet.

Thanks for the input everyone.

tarwheel 11-11-14 06:09 PM

I've got a Showers Pass Elite rain jacket, and I've had no problems with the zippers. In fact, I was going to suggest SP as a brand with good zippers.

GeneO 11-11-14 08:17 PM

The newer SP Elite 2.1 has a different zipper (still ykk) than the 2.0.