Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Old Steel and trainers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1189988)

daviddavieboy 12-12-19 09:30 AM

Old Steel and trainers

Anyone else using their vintage steel on a trainer? I am trying to get ready for April so I put the bike that I am going to use on the trainer to set it up. After using it for few rides and tinkering with the fit I see no reason to take it back off as I can do reasonably well in the online events. The biggest problem I seem to have is keeping the sweat off the frame.

jadocs 12-12-19 09:43 AM

Just my opinion only. Personally I wouldn't use a bike that I value (especially vintage steel) on a trainer. Especially a locked in trainer where you are just pedaling anyway. I would buy/use a cheap bike and use that. Even on my smart rollers, I use my secondary bike with a sweat guard.

daviddavieboy 12-12-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21242697)
Just my opinion only. Personally I wouldn't use a bike that I value (especially vintage steel) on a trainer. Especially a locked in trainer where you are just pedaling anyway. I would buy/use a cheap bike and use that. Even on my smart rollers, I use my secondary bike with a sweat guard.

The bike does move fairly freely (rock and roll) but I understand what you are talking about. My reason for initially doing this was to get it set up and as it is now I can go for up to 2 hours with reasonable comfort plus I have a new Brooks saddle I wanted broken in before the event. The bike I had on before is seeing some rust on the bottom of the bb where there was none before and I would not be happy it to happen to this bike. I do have a new-ish gravel bike I can use as it is the rain / mud / trail / snow bike this might be the best option.

USAZorro 12-12-19 09:56 AM

A couple weekends ago I picked up a $10.00 C-Itoh. Guess where it's going? Yup. On the trainer. Doesn't matter if the wheels, tires, shifters, brakes, frame are complete crap and the beast weighs over 30 pounds. Just need acceptably comfortable contact points, and voici - a trainer that doesn't put anything of value at hazard.

Last ride 76 12-12-19 10:21 AM

I use my "rain" bike, an old kestrel 200sci with a powertap wheel on the basic Cycleops trainer.

jadocs 12-12-19 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy (Post 21242708)
The bike does move fairly freely (rock and roll) but I understand what you are talking about. My reason for initially doing this was to get it set up and as it is now I can go for up to 2 hours with reasonable comfort plus I have a new Brooks saddle I wanted broken in before the event. The bike I had on before is seeing some rust on the bottom of the bb where there was none before and I would not be happy it to happen to this bike. I do have a new-ish gravel bike I can use as it is the rain / mud / trail / snow bike this might be the best option.

Sweat can do some nasty things to your bike. Agree with you about using something else.

caloso 12-12-19 11:14 AM

I'd spray the whole thing with WD-40 first. And then be religious in wiping off any sweat.

tkamd73 12-12-19 11:18 AM

Yup, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, not exactly a high value ride, but one of my favorites, and the most comfortable. So I bought another, rebuilt it, and stuck it on a trainer, works great! As for sweat, notice the pipe insulation on the top tube, also big oscillating fan in front of bike, not in the pic.
Tim

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8966f4163.jpeg

Kobe 12-12-19 11:27 AM

I use my Proteus on a Kurt Kinetic trainer in the basement. A fan helps to keep any sweat to a minimum.

ryansu 12-12-19 01:46 PM

I sought out and bought a trainer bike this winter an 87 Miyata 112 which is actually in decent shape. I did do a coat of pledge wax on it since it will be on my covered porch and it will probably get some sweat on it. I had the trainer already - got used on CL a few years ago - and the bike set me back $50.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a6e544a75.jpg

bnewberry 12-12-19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy (Post 21242675)
Anyone else using their vintage steel on a trainer? I am trying to get ready for April so I put the bike that I am going to use on the trainer to set it up. After using it for few rides and tinkering with the fit I see no reason to take it back off as I can do reasonably well in the online events. The biggest problem I seem to have is keeping the sweat off the frame.

Yes. This is a reason for N+1. I have a Trek 660 on my trainer. This is the bike I used for all of my long rides last year. The bike fits, is set up the way I like it, but riding inside still pales in comparison to riding outdoors.

since6 12-12-19 03:10 PM

I ride my vintagesure on the trainer so that it and my body stay broken in to each other. This way when riding resumes outside less will be sore.

RobbieTunes 12-12-19 05:25 PM

Trainers: the best reason to have a carbon bike. :roflmao2:

I'm doing a 1-hour session Saturday on some gizmo that uses my bike, then on Sunday, we're doing 3 hours at the same place.

Wouldn't think of bringing steel, even with a sweat guard. Or my lugged carbon.

So Titanium it is.

mstateglfr 12-12-19 06:36 PM

I have a late 80s tange 1 framek and fork on my fluid trainer.
it's a bike inside outside too- not my primary road bike but also not ignored.

I use foam insulation on the top and downtube. It sits there and protects from sweat. And a towel stays in the bars that I use for myself. A small fan helps too.

I understand the idea that trainers which lock in the frame could subject it to excessive bending.
I'm also not too sure how significant an issue that is.

plonz 12-12-19 08:50 PM

I keep my spray-bombed ‘85 Peugeot PSN 10 mounted in the trainer full time. I use a sweat guard on the bike, a sweat band on the head, plus a fan blowing at me head on so no real corrosion concerns. Narrow-range 7 speed DA 7400 shifting and gearing a good match for my setup.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cc0828fa7.jpg

canklecat 12-12-19 11:43 PM

I use my Ironman on the Cycleops trainer. No problems. I don't sweat enough to do any damage. I keep a towel handy but rarely drip sweat.

I also use a fairly potent fan during trainer sessions, and either crank up the a/c or turn it off for winter rides. If the temp is around 70F I'm usually okay.

Unfortunately that's a problem outdoors in summer. I finally realized the only way I could force myself to perspire enough was to use electrolytes in every water bottle and take extra magnesium (usually mag lactate) and potassium. Otherwise I'll get muscle cramps, sometimes during a ride, sometimes in the middle of the night or just sitting on the sofa. When my sweat feels soapy and leaves a white frosting on my jersey, shorts and helmet straps, I know I'm using enough and sweating enough. Means I need to clean my helmet after every ride, even in winter, but I seldom have muscle cramps now during or after rides.

Reminds me, I really need to pick up another Ironman or similar steelie to rig up with clip on aero bars to get my neck accustomed to the position. I'd like to try the state time trial meet next year. I like my one Ironman set up just as it is now for outdoor rides and don't want to change anything.

TXsailor 12-13-19 03:26 AM

When I first started using a trainer I sweated buckets and was worried about damaging whatever bike I had on it. A few years later and with some fitness gained I find that I don't drip on the bike. I still have a homemade sweat guard on the bike but I don't think its really that necessary. I use the TrainerRoad app on my phone and watch something on TV in the background. The Ironman I rode on Ragbrai last summer is doing trainer duty this winter but will be back on the road next spring. I don't stand when on the trainer as I feel it put undue stress on the dropouts and frame.

RobbieTunes 12-13-19 04:33 AM

Ironman Nation has spoken. We're in.
Some don't attempt, but you can see, it takes a lickin' and still keeps tickin'.

Colorado Kid 12-13-19 05:48 AM

Use to use my old Motobecane all the time on the trainer. Just wipe it off when your done and put a good coat of wax on it and you should be good. Just watch out what old what tires you use. A hard or long workout can and will heat up the tires fast. Yes, I've blown tires on the trainer during some sprints.

TXsailor 12-13-19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid (Post 21243737)
Use to use my old Motobecane all the time on the trainer. Just wipe it off when your done and put a good coat of wax on it and you should be good. Just watch out what old what tires you use. A hard or long workout can and will heat up the tires fast. Yes, I've blown tires on the trainer during some sprints.

I have been using a Continental 700 x 23 trainer tire last winter and again this one and it hasn't shown any wear yet. Its on a cheap new bike takeoff wheel. I think that's the way to go. My bike has been converted to 10 speed so wheels are easy to find.

canklecat 12-13-19 09:34 PM

I use cheap Continental Ultra Sport II tires on the trainer and as everyday riding tires. Same rear tire for both. No problems after more than a year doing that. Even with HIIT sessions and several sprints of 10-60 seconds. The metal roller on the trainer wears the tire to a flattened shape, but one outdoor ride softens the shoulder so the tire looks normal again.

horatio 12-14-19 05:11 AM

Good use for aluminum frames. Just sayin’... :D

easyupbug 12-14-19 07:26 AM

A fan, Halo II headband, look it over every few rides and it has never been a worry. For years I used a RRB custom, now a Ironman frame. Maybe my level of training is at the lower end.

daviddavieboy 12-15-19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TXsailor (Post 21243685)
When I first started using a trainer I sweated buckets and was worried about damaging whatever bike I had on it. A few years later and with some fitness gained I find that I don't drip on the bike. I still have a homemade sweat guard on the bike but I don't think its really that necessary. . . I don't stand when on the trainer as I feel it put undue stress on the dropouts and frame.

I have always been a heavy sweater but I also keep a close eye on things. I use a sweat guard, a towel, and use gloves so I can mop my head. 😂 I think when I am certain I have the saddle broken in and have the bike set up I will switch it out. I use a rock and roll and noticed when in a sprint not only is there the side to side movement but there is almost 3-4 “ of vertical movement. At times I have had the tire leave marks on the carpet greatly annoying my wife.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ba2da3e8.jpeg

unterhausen 12-15-19 01:04 PM

I spray down my trainer bike with camellia oil occasionally. Japanese woodworkers use it for rust proofing. There are better treatments, but I have this one handy. I bought the frame for $30, but it's a nice old Centurion semi-pro, so I would hate to see it get rusty. So far it has been good