Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Know of any good tours close to Boise Idaho? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1110906)

cyber.snow 06-10-17 01:54 PM

Know of any good tours close to Boise Idaho?

Heard there was a great 2 sayer up around Coeur Delane, but looking for anything reasonably close.

skimaxpower 06-10-17 06:39 PM

The Centennial Trail goes from Coeur d'Alene all the way to Spokane and beyond. It's really a fantastic ride.

niknak 06-11-17 12:08 AM

You can start the ACA Idaho hot springs loop from Boise. It's fantastic. Roughly 500 miles of forest roads with singletrack options. Enough resupply points to keep logistics easy.

cyber.snow 06-11-17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by skimaxpower (Post 19645180)
The Centennial Trail goes from Coeur d'Alene all the way to Spokane and beyond. It's really a fantastic ride.

I understand there is also a trail running East for about 80+ miles. Is this part of the same trail?

indyfabz 06-11-17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by cyber.snow (Post 19646881)
I understand there is also a trail running East for about 80+ miles. Is this part of the same trail?

I will be on part of it a week from tomorrow:

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov...coeur-d-alenes

From it's eastern terminus to Wallace, ID.

But it's not really close to Boise. The western terminus in Plummer, ID is some 377 miles by car.

cyber.snow 06-11-17 06:46 PM

I am a little confused, are we talking about the Cour D'Lane trail and the Hiawatha trail? I have heard there is now a connection between them. Does anyone have the intel on that?

indyfabz 06-11-17 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by cyber.snow (Post 19646955)
I am a little confused

You and me both, and I will be there next week. The on line intel is sketchy about the NorPac and Olympian Trails. Here is another site that you might glean something from:

https://friendsofcdatrails.org

I have made paper notes and plan to ask around when I get out there.

Doug64 06-11-17 10:16 PM

Were were in Wallace last week and picked up the Brochures on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene and the Route of the Hiawatha.

It looks like you can connect between the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene and the Hiawatha by taking highway 456 south from Wallace to Pearson. It is about 19 miles.

Another connection would be from Mullan to Hwy 90 to Taft MT. Then south 2 miles from Taft to the Hiawatha.
We have not ridden either of these "connectors" but we were interested in riding the Route of the Hiawatha.

The Hiawatha trail is administered by Lookout Mountain Ski Area under permit from the Forest Service. They should have the answers.

We took our daughters on their first tour on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene. it was a great place to get them started, and logistics are pretty simple.

cyber.snow 06-12-17 01:16 PM

Thanks Doug,

I called both trails this morning and they are sending maps. Thanks for the info on the connectors. I understand that going East is a moderate climb, but there is a shuttle available both ways. I think we are going to start in Plumas(?) just South of Coure D'Lene and ride the length of both trails. Since this is the first tour of the year for the wife, will probably overnight in Wallace or Kellog. Both gave camping and hotels available, again wife wants to credit card such a short trip and I am thinking it is a good time to check out the gear. Driving from central Idaho, I figure 3 nights.

indyfabz 06-12-17 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by cyber.snow (Post 19648548)
Since this is the first tour of the year for the wife, will probably overnight in Wallace or Kellog. Both gave camping and hotels available

Note that the tent sites at Wallace RV Park don't have tables or fire rings, but they do have some dry cabins. Someone at Adventure Cycling told me that the City Limits Pub & Grill, which is next to the RV park and right off the trail on 9 Mile Creek Rd., has good beer and food.

Doug64 06-12-17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cyber.snow (Post 19648548)
Thanks Doug,

I called both trails this morning and they are sending maps. Thanks for the info on the connectors. I understand that going East is a moderate climb, but there is a shuttle available both ways. I think we are going to start in Plumas(?) just South of Coure D'Lene and ride the length of both trails. Since this is the first tour of the year for the wife, will probably overnight in Wallace or Kellog. Both gave camping and hotels available, again wife wants to credit card such a short trip and I am thinking it is a good time to check out the gear. Driving from central Idaho, I figure 3 nights.

We started in Wallace and really enjoyed it. A nice place to spend a little time. I know 4 people who will attest to the quantity and quality of the ice cream in Harrison:)

Doug64 06-12-17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 19648615)
Note that the tent sites at Wallace RV Park don't have tables or fire rings, but they do have some dry cabins. Someone at Adventure Cycling told me that the City Limits Pub & Grill, which is next to the RV park and right off the trail on 9 Mile Creek Rd., has good beer and food.

We stayed in one of the cabins and ate at the pub on the "girls tour" several years ago. It is also a good place to leave a vehicle, as there is public parking near the pub.

We stopped at the pub for dinner on our way through last week.

cyber.snow 06-12-17 06:30 PM

Just booked 3 nights in July at the Wallace Inn. Will do the hiawatha on one day and the Cour D'Alane the next. Shuttles are available so that solves a lot of problems. Will try be Pub for sure!