Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drive Through (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181334)

Fargo Wolf 08-16-19 02:51 PM

Drive Through

Long stopry short, I was at the drive through at the N Shore Wendy's on my bicycle. 2 days doing the same thing no problem. Today, from staff there: GET YOUR ******G BIKE OUT F THE DRIVE THROUGH!!! YOU AREN'T ALLOWED THERE!!! ( there's no sign saying I can't be there) That was loud enough, some.... Person (to keep it civil).... who had just left in their truck yelled YOU'RE NOT A CAR, YOU ******G IDIOT!!!.

Parked by the door, went in, ordered and asked to speak with the manager. Got a constantly changing story out of her, so I just grabbed my order and left, even more disgusted.

Look... I get it. Not everyone likes cyclists for one reason or another, but there's no excuse for that kind of abuse. ESPECIALLY as a business. That doesn't mean it's Ok for anyone to be treated that way. Now I feel like absolute crap. =(

DrIsotope 08-16-19 03:04 PM

100% corporate policy. There's no laws against it. They let motorcycles in the drive-thru. In corporate eyes (that is, doing everything imaginable to limit their liability) cyclist = pedestrian. They don't want walk-ups.

ksryder 08-16-19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf (Post 21078758)
Long stopry short, I was at the drive through at the N Shore Wendy's on my bicycle. 2 days doing the same thing no problem. Today, from staff there: GET YOUR ******G BIKE OUT F THE DRIVE THROUGH!!! YOU AREN'T ALLOWED THERE!!! ( there's no sign saying I can't be there) That was loud enough, some.... Person (to keep it civil).... who had just left in their truck yelled YOU'RE NOT A CAR, YOU ******G IDIOT!!!.

Parked by the door, went in, ordered and asked to speak with the manager. Got a constantly changing story out of her, so I just grabbed my order and left, even more disgusted.

Look... I get it. Not everyone likes cyclists for one reason or another, but there's no excuse for that kind of abuse. ESPECIALLY as a business. That doesn't mean it's Ok for anyone to be treated that way. Now I feel like absolute crap. =(

Sorry that happened but yeah, this pops up as a topic with some regularity.

Vote with your wallet.

Fargo Wolf 08-16-19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21078775)
100% corporate policy. There's no laws against it. They let motorcycles in the drive-thru. In corporate eyes (that is, doing everything imaginable to limit their liability) cyclist = pedestrian. They don't want walk-ups.

But why today? The last two times, no problem. Oh well.... Kamloops BC is going down the proverbial toilet in every way imaginable....

DrIsotope 08-16-19 03:13 PM

I dunno, the Friday shift was grouchy, I guess. Their behavior is inexcusable, company policy or no. I would be going full Abe Simpson on the Wendy's, no doubt. I'd first blow up their customer support e-mail , and if that didn't get any traction-- oh yeah, envelope and stamp, LIKE YE TIMES OF OLDE

The local McDs, which has changed hands at least 5 times in 10 years, botched back-to-back drive thru orders, so I complained via e-mail. They sent me $30 worth of vouchers (six $5 vouchers) for future purchases. The service is still hit or miss, but at least someone listened.

caloso 08-16-19 03:31 PM

Corporate policy, probably driven by their insurance provider.

FiftySix 08-16-19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf (Post 21078782)
But why today? The last two times, no problem. Oh well.... Kamloops BC is going down the proverbial toilet in every way imaginable....

I'd guess the staff on hand was lenient or lax on enforcing company policy the first and second time. Or an incident in the drive through had happened before your third trip.

I ran across as similar situation going in the truck entrance in my minivan full of tools for service work for one of my regular customers. I'd been going through the truck entrance for several years, then one day two months ago I'm told that I can't go through the truck entrance anymore and I have to park in a parking lot much further away.

According to them it has been company policy for years, but the prior "gate keeper" didn't enforce it. Maybe that's one reason the old gate keeper is no longer there?

berner 08-16-19 04:10 PM

I blame our education system. Not enough people come through with adequate thinking skills.

HerrKaLeun 08-16-19 05:31 PM

So you got insulted but patronized them anyway?

That'll teach them.

Must be really good food to endure all that.

Gresp15C 08-16-19 06:14 PM

Vote with your wallet and your health.

mstateglfr 08-17-19 07:32 AM

you shouldn't ask why today- you should ask why the last to times. Accept that the last two times were a mistake and move on- it's just fast food.
The person at the window probably just didnt know better.

Hilarious that you use this incident to claim a city is going down the toilet.
- An entry level fast food worker didnt know corporate policy as it pertains to a rare instance, so this is evidence that a city is going down the toilet!
-or-
- An entry level fast food employee did know corporate policy as it pertains to a rare instance, so this is evidence that a city is going down the toilet!

Whicever you mean, either one is comical.

dedhed 08-17-19 01:58 PM

Never done fast food, but at the bank and pharmacy drive through they know me by my bike and it has never been even mentioned that I'm on a bike.

Moe Zhoost 08-17-19 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 21078964)
So you got insulted but patronized them anyway?

That'll teach them.

Must be really good food to endure all that.

+1. They anger you so you give them your business?

tim24k 08-18-19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 21079947)
+1. They anger you so you give them your business?

+2
Complain to corporate and by all means never go back.

anon06 08-18-19 04:37 AM

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that you went through that. Employees and customers don't have to be rude; it is possible to say something, politely.

I wonder whether it's possible that some managers/employees don't like the idea of cyclists or pedestrians ordering food at the drive-thru, due to not having a traceable license plate on their security cameras for the police (in case they tried to rob the place).

HerrKaLeun 08-18-19 05:28 AM

I used to work at Starbucks and occassionally riders used the drive through. I guess it saves them the hassle and fear of locking the bike out of sight. As far as I remember they even got free drinks sometimes.

I assume Wendys is doing you a favor. They only give their obesity food to people with inactive lifestyles in cars. They saw the OP attempts to be healthy by riding. So they refused to give him that toxic food.

nomadmax 08-18-19 05:36 AM

The drive thru has killed more people than small pox; why even go there for food?

OldTryGuy 08-18-19 05:42 AM

Ever since our County run Transfer Station "recycle and waste drop off" opened over a decade ago I brought oil, oil filters, batteries, paints/solvents .... to the place using my bike when possible and never a problem. Last time there the attendant let me in but said that I needed to be in a vehicle. I mentioned that FL. recognizes a bicycle as a vehicle and she said she would check with superior. Didn't wait around and haven't been back.

Have no problem with a private company saying "no to drive thru use" but County, ????

indyfabz 08-18-19 06:02 AM

:deadhorse2:

This has been done to death.

There is even a zombie thread example:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rive-thru.html

Daniel4 08-18-19 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21080441)
:deadhorse2:

This has been done to death.

There is even a zombie thread example:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rive-thru.html

So... would you rather have a zombie thread resurrected and then be criticized for that?

Or should topics only be discussed once and then closed forever?

Digger Goreman 08-18-19 09:44 AM

"So sorry, I didn't see the 'no bicycles' sign."

"State law qualfies me as a vehicle."

"Would you prefer I wheel it inside on your (probably un-) mopped floors?"

"Your being officious is taking time from others and keeping cash flow at a mînimum."

Etc.

The window jockey had a bad day, maybe doesn't like cyclists,... sorry he took it out on you....

mstateglfr 08-18-19 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 21080418)
I assume Wendys is doing you a favor. They only give their obesity food to people with inactive lifestyles in cars. They saw the OP attempts to be healthy by riding. So they refused to give him that toxic food.

Bad joke. Get off the stage

I-Like-To-Bike 08-18-19 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 21080610)

Or should topics only be discussed once and then closed forever?

Only when would-be gatekeepers are not interested in posting anything on the topic except snark, but a photo of a favorite bike must be allowed to be posted ad nauseum on multiple threads regardless of the topic.

John_V 08-18-19 11:33 AM

I've gone through several fast food drive through windows and asked if they could refill my water bottles and never had a issue. And the water was always cold.

Daniel4 08-18-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 21080799)
I've gone through several fast food drive through windows and asked if they could refill my water bottles and never had a issue. And the water was always cold.

What are their names and in what city? I doubt there may be any consistency nation wide.