Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXIX (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209045)

WhyFi 08-18-20 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647473)
had to google gilet, and of course number 3 that pops up is, a rapha that matches my bike for 125.00
:notamused:

Are you talking about the Brevet Gilet in 'Dark Yellow' (that looks awfully orange)? Looks nice.

It looks like RCC members have early access to a sale right now, which means that us plebes should should be seeing the sale in 2 or 3 days.

datlas 08-18-20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21647478)
Are you talking about the Brevet Gilet in 'Dark Yellow' (that looks awfully orange)? Looks nice.

It looks like RCC members have early access to a sale right now, which means that us plebes should should be seeing the sale in 2 or 3 days.

Is Rapha FOMO a thing now??

Velo Vol 08-18-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21647400)
More than weeks, and it was because measures taken and infection rated were worse than your peers. As we’ve seen, this thing is fluid, and success is fleeting. Even places like Singapore are having issues again.

Obviously it's no thanks to the state government, but clearly there are variables to risk/spread that are not well understood.

WhyFi 08-18-20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21647487)
Is Rapha FOMO a thing now??

Dunno. No FOMO fo me.

Velo Vol 08-18-20 10:18 AM

Speaking of medicine, last night I observed a bat and a brilliant thought came to mind: Why are they making witch drugs out of mouse genes instead of bat genes? Wouldn't it be cooler if I had a bat avatar?

Discuss.

genejockey 08-18-20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21646851)
Yeah, I fought it for a few years, refused to get an eye exam. My ex finally went to a pharmacy and bought an assortment of cheap readers. That was 25 years ago and I have had several prescriptions since then. The biggest revelation was driving at night with the right prescription.

Shortly after we married at the age of 30, my wife - who had tired of me asking her "What's that sign say?" - made me an appointment at the eye doctor, and I got glasses.

The VERY FIRST WEEK, when I was at the most self-conscious, I was at a sandwich shop waiting to order. One of the counter ladies asked, "Who's next?" and the other one gestured at me and said, "The guy with the glasses".

And suddenly, that was me. The guy with the glasses.

bampilot06 08-18-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21647478)

that’s the one! But personally if I was going to spend that much on one, I want it to have removable sleeves.

genejockey 08-18-20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647373)
my right pedal starts squeaking after about 30 miles. Thoughts?

I sprayed some lube in it last week. Still squeaks.

Sure it's not the cleat?

bampilot06 08-18-20 10:24 AM

So today I did one all out sprint. I was feeling great so I thought why not. I gave it my all, and only reached 28 mph. I was disappointed.

abshipp 08-18-20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647473)
had to google gilet

Me too.

Up until today I thought it was just a different word for neck gaiter.

DougRNS 08-18-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21647363)
Who says you can't go home? There's only one place where they call me one of their own.

had to look that up. Post 1977 so of course I am not familiar with it. Bon Jovi is not in my rotation. What I know of his stuff is fine. He is from nearby Jersey.

WhyFi 08-18-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647501)
that’s the one! But personally if I was going to spend that much on one, I want it to have removable sleeves.

Nah, what you want out of a gilet/vest is something very lightweight and packable - throw it on when you head out on a chilly morning and stuff it in a jersey pocket when it warms up. Or, for people that live in the mountains, put it on before you descend. Anyway, they're really, really useful pieces of gear, Rapha or otherwise; my vest (from Search and State) is one of my favorite on-bike clothing items, but it's a little too big on me now. :o

That vest does look like it'll be included in the sale, BTW. I would bet that it'll be in the $80 region.

WhyFi 08-18-20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647516)
So today I did one all out sprint. I was feeling great so I thought why not. I gave it my all, and only reached 28 mph. I was disappointed.

Keep at it - throw some regular sprints in to your rides - you'll get faster.

bampilot06 08-18-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21647529)
Nah, what you want out of a gilet/vest is something very lightweight and packable - throw it on when you head out on a chilly morning and stuff it in a jersey pocket when it warms up. Or, for people that live in the mountains, put it on before you descend. Anyway, they're really, really useful pieces of gear, Rapha or otherwise; my vest (from Search and State) is one of my favorite on-bike clothing items, but it's a little too big on me now. :o

That vest does look like it'll be included in the sale, BTW. I would bet that it'll be in the $80 region.

Good to know. I’ll add it to the ever growing list. I suspect come October I’ll be starting a “what tire should I buy” thread.....

bampilot06 08-18-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21647530)
Keep at it - throw some regular sprints in to your rides - you'll get faster.

I really thought I was gunna see like 32 atleast 30. Ive hit 28 so many times in the past. Oh well. I’ll hammer again next week.

genejockey 08-18-20 10:35 AM

Having skipped my Sunday ride because of the fear of getting wet and/or electrocuted, I went for a ride after work yesterday. It was one of those days when you feel like a Cycling God, when you think, "I wonder if I've got more in the tank" on a climb, and you go one gear higher and spin the same cadence, or you're whipping along a flat section and think, "I wonder if I could push a higher gear here?" and you do.

I got one of those "You've ridden this route before, and you're trending faster" notifications from Strava after uploading. Turns out I'd ridden this exact route back in January, with an average speed about 2.4 mph SLOWER. The weird thing is, I'm now in much better shape than I was. At least 15 lbs lighter, riding longer and harder. But Strava gave the January ride a "relative effort" score of 124, and this much faster ride, where I was clearly putting out a lot more watts, as a 67.

I guess this is what I get for not having a power meter - Strava bases everything on heart rate. I noticed yesterday my HR was about 10 bpm lower than I'd have expected at the same speed in the same spots.

indyfabz 08-18-20 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21647520)
had to look that up. Post 1977 so of course I am not familiar with it. Bon Jovi is not in my rotation. What I know of his stuff is fine. He is from nearby Jersey.

Today is comedian/actor Denis Leary's birthday. As Leary once quipped: "Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead and we can't get Bon Jovi NEAR a helicopter."

seedsbelize 08-18-20 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21647518)
Me too.

Up until today I thought it was just a different word for neck gaiter.

I still do.

seedsbelize 08-18-20 10:46 AM

And in other news, I'll be taking the day off. I bought a couple discs which can be spun though, in two different sizes, to fit my two different machines.

Trsnrtr 08-18-20 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21647427)
Yikes! Fingers crossed.

The good news is that the doc said my condition was stabilized and unless it gets worse, come back in 6 months for eval. The bad news is that the loss of vision in my eye is permanent and won't improve. He said to be careful looking left at intersections both on my bike and driving, something that I was already aware of.

MoAlpha 08-18-20 10:48 AM

In sailing we have salopettes, which are just bibs for an extra $100.

WhyFi 08-18-20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21647539)
I got one of those "You've ridden this route before, and you're trending faster" notifications from Strava after uploading. Turns out I'd ridden this exact route back in January, with an average speed about 2.4 mph SLOWER. The weird thing is, I'm now in much better shape than I was. At least 15 lbs lighter, riding longer and harder. But Strava gave the January ride a "relative effort" score of 124, and this much faster ride, where I was clearly putting out a lot more watts, as a 67.

I guess this is what I get for not having a power meter - Strava bases everything on heart rate. I noticed yesterday my HR was about 10 bpm lower than I'd have expected at the same speed in the same spots.

Sure, but the purpose of Relative Effort is much different than that of a power meter and I wouldn't dismiss it completely - you likely were working much harder back in Jan, and that's all it's telling you.

Even with a PM, I've seen my RE take a sharp downward turn as my fitness has improved - when I did the Festive500 (310 very flat miles) at the end of Dec, I had an RE of 1194. A couple weeks ago, I did 272 not-quite-as-flat miles and had an RE of 566. Frankly, that's probably fair - the F500 was a lot of work for me at the time and 250 miles is kind of nothing special right now.

Velo Vol 08-18-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21647539)
I got one of those "You've ridden this route before, and you're trending faster" notifications from Strava after uploading.

wut

WhyFi 08-18-20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21647597)
wut

$.

WhyFi 08-18-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21647538)
I really thought I was gunna see like 32 atleast 30. Ive hit 28 so many times in the past. Oh well. I’ll hammer again next week.

Lots of factors. Keep hitting it.