Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Can I change out my hydraulic brakes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1135418)

Alligator 02-09-18 08:28 PM

Can I change out my hydraulic brakes?

My hydraulic brakes are integrated with my shift levers (Shimano ST-EF65). I put on a BBSHD motor, and would like to use their brake levers since I'm not a fan of glueing on magnets to make a motor cut-off when braking.

Do you know if it's possible to use the included hydraulic brake levers and then find some other shift levers? If so, what would you recommend for a shift lever? I only need the rear derailleur shift lever.

Doc_Wui 02-09-18 10:33 PM

I am no expert, but if the shifter has the same number of clicks and is the same brand, it probably works. Best to ask at the bike shop, but I just crosss my fingers and buy something on amazon.

I used the Shimano Acera ML-310 7 speed unit to replace older Shimano combo units and also an old trigger shifter. I think it clicks up and down nice. Around $17.

dabac 02-10-18 04:41 AM

You can swap the hydro brake for a mechanical one easily enough.
And matching caliper to the lever of your choice shouldn’t be hugely difficult.

2old 02-10-18 06:24 AM

FME (as DW states), it's possible to find an individual Shimano rear shift lever for their derailleurs. Personally, they're inexpensive enough that I look for Deore unless the derailleur is 7-speed or fewer, then Acera or Altus has operated sufficiently..

MikeyMK 02-13-18 12:42 AM

I don't bother with brake switches. I converted to hydraulic on my old e-bike last spring when i ditched the step-through frame. That bike was 250w.

My latest bike puts out over 1,900w and reaches almost 50mph, but still on the same Deore hydraulic brakes with no switches. The switches are pointless because the motor gets the same signal when you stop pedalling.

I use it everyday on pedestrianised routes, never had a problem. The only thing i didn't like about it was initially adapting to having to stop pedalling to brake (hadn't realised i like to 'follow' the pedals as i slow a manual bike), and if i'm taking a tight corner and need a pedal up, i do the turn backwards because a back turn doesn't activate the PAS system.

In just a couple of miles it became second nature to stop pedalling, and even back-turn to the most comfortable position, whenever i touched the levers. And i now can't see that having brake sensors would make any difference whatsoever.

Darth Lefty 02-13-18 02:01 AM

There are hydraulic EZ-Fires now? Sounds wrong... check again...

Alligator 02-13-18 04:21 PM

I double checked the brakes on my bike, and they are Shimano M315 hydro disc. I guess I'm not sure what a "hydro disc" brake is. In any event, I want to try to swap them for the brake levers that came with my BBSHD kit. I just don't know if it's possible.

Rick Imby 02-14-18 11:12 AM

Just replace the front lever---you no longer need the front shifter with your BBSHD.

I love my Avid BB7 disc brakes better than my Hydraulics---simpler and they work great.

I only have the cutoff lever on my front brake. I use it to shift also. Tap the brake and shift---it is easy once you get used to it.

Another option is just click to zero on your assist and then shift. I shift rarely with my e bike. (BBS02 on a hard tail Mountain bike).

Good luck

gsa103 02-24-18 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Alligator (Post 20168033)
I double checked the brakes on my bike, and they are Shimano M315 hydro disc. I guess I'm not sure what a "hydro disc" brake is. In any event, I want to try to swap them for the brake levers that came with my BBSHD kit. I just don't know if it's possible.

Are the levers that came with the kit hydraulic? Most of the BBSHD cutoff levers I've seen are for mechanical (cable pull) discs, not hydraulic (fluid) discs.