Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Beach Cruisers (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=328)
-   -   I like 26” wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186073)

OldCruiser 10-19-19 09:52 AM

I like 26” wheels

Weren’t sure where to put this , but since most cruisers are 26” and everybody here play nice , I thought this would be the best place for it .
I now own bikes that have 26”, 650b, and 29” wheels . Have some 700c’s also but they are just skinny 29 inchers.
All of these bikes have similar sized tires 2.3”- 2.5” . . The 29” and 26” have Maxxis Hookworms 2.5” on them . Although the 2.3” on the Specialized Roll look wider than the Hookworms.
After riding all three for awhile , I noticed the 29’ seems slower to me , especially starting off . The 26” are the quickest off the line and get up to speed faster . The 650b’s are sort of in between.
so I got researching and found I wasn’t crazy . My findings were correct . I read the bigger diameter tires are faster once you get up to speed ( around 10mph) , but since I average 9.5-10mph the bigger tires are a disadvantage IMO .
Also , it seems they’re a lot more cruiser type tires offered in 26” .
Another thing I found about the taller tires , is how much tougher they make the bike to get on and especially off . There’s times when I’ve had to stop at intersections , especially after I’ve ridden for awhile , I’ve almost fallen trying to get a foot down . If you have longer legs than I do , this wouldn’t be a problem.
The 26” bikes seem to handle better too . I’ve actually had to run up on the curb turning around with the taller bikes .
The 26” bikes feel like driving a sports car compared to driving a muscle car or a four wheel drive pickup .
In my opinion 26” is King of bike wheels and tires !

JehD 10-19-19 10:23 PM

I liked my 29 inch Moto once it was up and going and it fit well as far as reach went but standover height was a little tight. While liked the feel I felt it wouldve been better with a smaller wider tire and a few more gears , which is what they did a year later.

While the 29s would roll over things I feel more comfortable on the 26s as they just feel more nimble. A taller rider might feel better on the 29s but im 5-10 with a 31ish inseam and any more prefer 26s

Kungfoobike 11-06-19 04:26 PM

I've ridden 26inch for ages but realized 29's are fast and smooth.

tds101 11-07-19 11:51 AM

I prefer 29" wheels for their ability to cushion my ride a bit more, and traverse cracks and bumps a bit better. My area has a lot of back roads that area all destroyed and covered by ballast (1" ish or so rocks). 26" wheels don't handle it so well,...

OldCruiser 11-07-19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21198763)
I prefer 29" wheels for their ability to cushion my ride a bit more, and traverse cracks and bumps a bit better. My area has a lot of back roads that area all destroyed and covered by ballast (1" ish or so rocks). 26" wheels don't handle it so well,...

I get better cushion out of 26” with ballon size tires .
I guess if you have long legs , I could see an advantage to 29” wheels but I don’t . I like being able to stand over the crossbar without leaning the bike over with the crossbar giving me a wedgie . :)

tds101 11-07-19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kirby999 (Post 21199086)
I get better cushion out of 26” with ballon size tires .
I guess if you have long legs , I could see an advantage to 29” wheels but I don’t . I like being able to stand over the crossbar without leaning the bike over with the crossbar giving me a wedgie . :)

I use balloon tires, Schwalbe Big Bens. And I'm not that tall,..5'11",... I don't particularly like wedgies myself. :p The Electra Super Moto 8i has 27.5" wheels,...I'd luv to be able to get that bike.

OldCruiser 11-07-19 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21199361)
I use balloon tires, Schwalbe Big Bens. And I'm not that tall,..5'11",... I don't particularly like wedgies myself. :p The Electra Super Moto 8i has 27.5" wheels,...I'd luv to be able to get that bike.

I’d wouldn’t mind adding an Electra Super Moto 8i to my stable . Nice looking bike . Looks comfortable.