Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Gulp! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=997168)

Digital Gee 03-08-15 02:32 PM

Gulp!

After a number of false starts, I think I'm ready to start riding again.

I moved to Reno in September, 2013. I brought my bikes with me, of course, but never quite got around to riding. Reno is much hillier than where I'd been, and a LOT was going on in my personal life as well, so cycling took a back seat.

10 months later, I found the house I now rent (which is fabulous to me). As the weather improved, I began to get the first hints that maybe I had the cycling bug again. So I took Mrs. Jones to a shop, and had her all tuned up, lubed, tires inflated (they'd gone flat), spokes tightened, the whole bit. When I picked her up she looked as good as new.

But honestly, I haven't been biking much in several years. And now that I'm thinking of doing it again, I'll be honest - there's a new fear factor which I didn't have before. I'm 64 now, not 55 (when I started). BOTH knees hurt much of the time, not just after a ride. I've put on weight.

And yet, and yet. There she is, and she seems to still want to hang with me. I need almost all new gear - bibs, helmet, jerseys, you name it. I have some, but they've shrunk (or I got fatter).

We're having unseasonably warm weather as well. Today it's probably 70 degrees. I want to be out riding!

I'm almost like a brand new cyclist. I'm wondering if I should get a simple "comfort bike" off Craigslist first, and get my sea legs back on it, and then take to the Masi?

I feel like a damn rookie. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm wondering if I still have the strength, the reflexes, and the chutzpah to be out on the road again.

Shout out to all the folks who've been on this forum for a few years. It will be great to reconnect!

BigAura 03-08-15 03:13 PM

You've got bikes--> get out now!
  • Start slow and in less traffic intense areas.
  • Your confidence will return and your fitness will follow.

Jim from Boston 03-08-15 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 17613506)
After a number of false starts, I think I'm ready to start riding again.

I moved to Reno in September, 2013. I brought my bikes with me, of course, but never quite got around to riding. Reno is much hillier than where I'd been, and a LOT was going on in my personal life as well, so cycling took a back seat...

But honestly, I haven't been biking much in several years. And now that I'm thinking of doing it again, I'll be honest - there's a new fear factor which I didn't have before. I'm 64 now, not 55 (when I started). BOTH knees hurt much of the time, not just after a ride. I've put on weight...

We're having unseasonably warm weather as well. Today it's probably 70 degrees. I want to be out riding!

I'm almost like a brand new cyclist. I'm wondering if I should get a simple "comfort bike" off Craigslist first, and get my sea legs back on it, and then take to the Masi?

I feel like a damn rookie. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm wondering if I still have the strength, the reflexes, and the chutzpah to be out on the road again.

Shout out to all the folks who've been on this forum for a few years. It will be great to reconnect!

Not that we have chatted before, nor did I note your absence, but when I saw this thread, I immediately recognized your screen name, and said to myself, “I haven’t seem (him) for a while.” So it’s nice to hear from you.

For me work issues have kept me off the bike (mainly as a year round cycle commuter) much more than I care for the past year or so, but posting here is somewhat a compensation, and keeps the desire alive. I ride enough though to at least feel comfortable when I do, and got to experience the worst of this historic winter. Nonetheless one does have to make a decision and prioritize cycling among other life issues, and it’s high on my list.

I was off the bike totally for about 5 months after an accident, and it didn’t take too long to get back to satisfactory, albeit a new level. If you are in a new environment, previously unfamiliar to you, perhaps the novelty of exploration may get you out onto the road. I would think the area around Reno is beautiful. I continue to amaze people I meet from all over Boston, when I ask them where they live, and we have a lively chat about intimate details of their neighborhood that I learned on my bike.

I don’t know if cycling would damage the knees or make them stronger, or effectively reduce the weight if that’s an issue, but those are motivations for me to ride and keep cycling as a high priority, FWIW

CrankyFranky 03-08-15 03:18 PM

Yah, knees. If it serves to spur you back onto two wheels, my knee guy says that the strength of my quads is inversely proportional to the pain in my knees. I find that it's true. Roll on!

MinnMan 03-08-15 04:04 PM

I've lost chunks of time repeatedly owing to injuries and other health problems, and coming back is hard. You said, "bikes", so what else do you have besides the Masi? When I am starting from almost zero, I prefer to start with one of my less sporty bikes - it helps keep my expectations low and helps me enjoy the ride without worrying about distance and speed. I don't have any comfort bikes and I wouldn't suggest that you go that far - in my case it's an old MTB or a touring bike. It doesn't take long for me to move back to the faster road bikes, and I enjoy the progression.

Digital Gee 03-08-15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 17613707)
I've lost chunks of time repeatedly owing to injuries and other health problems, and coming back is hard. You said, "bikes", so what else do you have besides the Masi? When I am starting from almost zero, I prefer to start with one of my less sporty bikes - it helps keep my expectations low and helps me enjoy the ride without worrying about distance and speed. I don't have any comfort bikes and I wouldn't suggest that you go that far - in my case it's an old MTB or a touring bike. It doesn't take long for me to move back to the faster road bikes, and I enjoy the progression.

Funny you mention that; I've been thinking about that. I also have a 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2, which in my old neighborhood served as the grocery / library / coffee shop bike. Heavy, slow, but steady and sturdy. It, too, needs a major tune-up, and I had been thinking I would sell that because I can't get the same kind of usage here, maybe my first stop is to get it rideable and use it to get my confidence back. Thanks for the suggestion!

MinnMan 03-08-15 04:21 PM

Something else is that I have done is to NOT take the Garmin. It's better for me at first to not be paying any attention to speed. I just want to enjoy being out and riding. And I can estimate the distance after the fact.

EvilWeasel 03-08-15 04:35 PM

Get your bike properly fitted. Most people's seats need to be raised more than they would think. Especially if bad knees are involved.

Retro Grouch 03-08-15 05:20 PM

Deege - Just do it! You never forget how, it's like riding a bicycle.

Uh - good to see you back, by the way.

qcpmsame 03-08-15 06:06 PM

Great to see you post, Deege, I had wondered of a memorial was in order for you. As long as the Masi/Mrs. Jones is in good order now, it was fitted pretty well as I remember, get some miles in, even if it is just a few each day and get your legs and butt back in shape. The weight will disappear with riding and sound nutrition, as you probably can recall. Even if its a few miles a day, several days a week, get back in the habit if getting out on the bike. I hope that you were able to stay away from the coffin nails, you were working on quitting them as I remember a few years back, when you had gotten the Masi. If not the riding will help you with getting them gone for good.

Lots of new folks around the place now, it will be nice to have another of the old gang back around the place. stick around regardless of how things are going, we can help you get back in the groove.

Bill

OldsCOOL 03-08-15 06:16 PM

Reno? And it was 70F today? Oh man. Get out and do a spin around the block, you'll find the rest of it. :)

Welcome back.

Artkansas 03-08-15 07:25 PM

DG! Well, there's no rule that says that n+1 needs to be more expensive than n. I'm glad you've kept Mrs. Jones. :thumb: Anything that gets you riding regularly is the right thing to do.

3 months ago I started a new job that required an 8 mile bike commute after several years of staying at home. I remember one of the first nights returning from work, I had to stop to rest while rolling down hill. I'm better now, but there are still some parts of the route that require me to take breaks. So do it, but be easy on yourself.

Spoke 03-08-15 08:06 PM

DG, welcome back. I second getting a fitting. That is important for the knees! Try my tried and true two step return to cycling program: Step 1: Ride. Step 2: repeat. Enjoy!

Ride On!
-Spoke

Mr IGH 03-08-15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 17613732)
...I also have a 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2, which in my old neighborhood served as the grocery / library / coffee shop bike. Heavy, slow, but steady and sturdy....

Nothing wrong a second bike. You can use it for running errands too. Wait on getting new clothes, I'd buy a pair of cycling shorts and start calorie counting, you'll fit in those old clothes before you know it.

doctor j 03-08-15 08:41 PM

Oh no! Ride reports with WHITE bikes:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Digital Gee 03-08-15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 17613976)
I hope that you were able to stay away from the coffin nails, you were working on quitting them as I remember a few years back, when you had gotten the Masi.

Lots of new folks around the place now, it will be nice to have another of the old gang back around the place. stick around regardless of how things are going, we can help you get back in the groove.

Bill

Happy to report that March 14th will be the THIRD anniversary of giving up cigarettes. Yay!

Digital Gee 03-08-15 08:57 PM

It feels SOOOOO good to reconnect with you folks and this forum. Thanks to EVERYONE who responded; it's all great advice. I took out all my old jerseys and bibs and such, and the good news is they all still fit! Washed 'em up and gave 'em proper hangers like they deserve.

I'm going to get the Globe all tuned up and start with that. I'm going to leave any Garmins or other cyclometers at home for now and not even think too much about how far I went, or how fast I went, etc. I just want to reconnect with the joy of riding.

I helped a friend move this week, and her new neighbor across the street appears to do some wrenching in his garage (two people came up and dropped off bikes today, for example). I'll see if he wants to get the Globe up and running, and then I'll start my new program. I think all I really need to buy is a new helmet; I have the old one but it feels a little dried up.

This just feels so good. Thanks, all.

PS: And yes, WHITE bike reports. The best kind. :D

jppe 03-08-15 09:05 PM

Hey DeeGee! A few of us are still hanging around. Didn't you used to have a "Ruby"? Seems like you enjoyed a lot of miles on her on the bike paths.

Red Rider 03-09-15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by BigAura (Post 17613596)
You've got bikes--> get out now!
  • Start slow and in less traffic intense areas.
  • Your confidence will return and your fitness will follow.

^^^^ This!

Deeg! I thought you quit us and we'd never see you again. So glad you're back!

So, yeah, just ride. I've put on weight as well, and don't like it, but I ride every chance I get; it will get me more healthy and fit and then my bike clothes won't be so tight.

The answers to most of life's problems it to ride your bike.

qcpmsame 03-09-15 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 17614355)
Happy to report that March 14th will be the THIRD anniversary of giving up cigarettes. Yay!

Outstanding, Deege, I have been thinking about you recently, with so much turnover from old members not posting, for various reasons, and a big group of new guys/gals recently the ones that just fade out kind of bothers me. Its nice to hear from you, stick around, it will be great to have someone to review the colonoscopy films, once again.;)

Bill

big john 03-09-15 07:32 AM

Welcome back! Like they said, just start riding around, a little at a time, and keep it fun.
Oh, RacerEx has also moved to Reno. He'll show you the ropes whenever you're ready.

rumrunn6 03-09-15 07:49 AM

when I feel like a newbie I pack the bike on the car and take a shakeout ride on a paved trail w/o cars. good confidence builder cuz there's usually a little kid or wheelchair I can pass ... ;)

David Bierbaum 03-09-15 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 17614355)

Congratulations on that! Now you can go from smoking a pack a day, to smoking a pack of cyclists a day! ;)

Monoborracho 03-09-15 07:38 PM

Just go ride and let the rest sort itself out. Good to see you again.

FBinNY 03-09-15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho (Post 17616959)
Just go ride and let the rest sort itself out. Good to see you again.

+1, Just ride. let your hill climbing ability and traffic fear choose the routes, and your legs the distance. Later, you can go faster, climb higher, and ride farther along more interesting roads or trails. but all bike rides start with a single turn of the cranks.