Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Socket Head Cap Screw Size: 1995 Trek 800 Sport? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177935)

Digger Goreman 07-10-19 07:52 AM

Socket Head Cap Screw Size: 1995 Trek 800 Sport?

The Frankentrek rolls on! In prep for mounting front fork cages, wanted to obtain a pair of socket head cap screws for the lower front fork bosses (hope the terminology is right). Gently tried the generic 5mm screws from the bottle cage and doesn't want to thread. Before I go to the hardware store, does any old hat know what size and thread dimensions I am dealing with? Looked at the Trek manual from 1995 and it doesn't address the issue....:foo:

pdlamb 07-10-19 08:04 AM

Barely informed guess: M5.

If you've got a hardware store, take it on down. I've got a great local hardware store; they love the challenge of finding the right size bolt, and can usually find one within 5 minutes. Then they charge me what's listed, 17 cents? each.

Stay away from the big box stores (Home Depot, for example). Buy a packet of 6 screws for $1.95 and try it. If that doesn't work, buy something else.

Fastenal splits the difference IME. Some are almost as good as the hardware store (if not better, they have a bigger selection), and some are overgrown HD hardware departments.

Digger Goreman 07-10-19 08:13 AM

Thanks pdlamb, barring technical certainty (if possible), I'll do that :thumb:

Nearby Fastenal looks good, merci!

Anybody else know for surer?

Wilfred Laurier 07-10-19 11:16 AM

It should be M5, same as your water bottle bolts.

Is it possible that the threads have been damaged, or that there is paint in the hole blocking the screw from threading in?

Digger Goreman 07-10-19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 21020420)
It should be M5, same as your water bottle bolts.

Is it possible that the threads have been damaged, or that there is paint in the hole blocking the screw from threading in?

Maybe, though the threads look like no one has glanced at them since they were made... lol....

Wilfred Laurier 07-10-19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21020475)
Maybe, though the threads look like no one has glanced at them since they were made... lol....

Does the hole seem like it is the right size but the screw won't go in? Or does the screw start threading but jams after a half turn?

Will the screw go in through the back side of the hole?

fietsbob 07-10-19 12:42 PM

A standard pitch for 5mm is 0.8 per mm though 1 per mm is done, 6 mm bolt is typically 1 tpmm

unterhausen 07-11-19 09:17 AM

some of the '70s 900 frames used an English threaded seat post binder bolt, but I think all the bosses were metric. Threads probably need to be chased.

kingsting 07-11-19 03:01 PM

800 Sport should be M5 thread. They used thick paint on those and like some above posters mentioned, the threads probably need chased...

Digger Goreman 07-11-19 03:04 PM

Thanks to all, Wilfred especially as I gave it one more "college try" and the threads cleared!

Now to get this 5 gallon/20 liter bucket *** Anything Cage into reality....

Digger Goreman 07-13-19 06:46 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb72bfa351.jpg

FRANKENTREK rolls on!
New transplants for the Frankentrek! 20 USD Craigslisting got me a new crankset and front derailleur. Franky's crankset was original and showing wear, as well as all these years having a cracked second ring :eek: Derailleur was just part of the deal and didn't work out (no biggie). Loving going from old stressed silverish to sleek and new black.

If you are in the area of Atlanta, give Brian (who took care of me today) a go at maximizing your cycling dollars: FreeFlite Cycling, Sandy Springs, GA. Brian, Daniel and Crew are nice folks that will do you right!