Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Dual Platform Pedals? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177310)

ilanshanon 07-03-19 07:06 AM

Dual Platform Pedals?

I've been riding a high-end carbon road bike with Shimano clips and using mountain bike shoes to clip in, so that I can also walk on the shoes at stops, etc. I just bought a 2020 Trek Verve 2 to use when we go on RV trips, and to add variety to cycling. I want to once again enjoy the part of cycling where you ride with family and friends, have an upright position which allows you to take in the sights, etc. However, especially when on long RV trips, there are times I want to get a good workout on the Trek. So I've ordered dual platform pedals so that I can either ride the bike with my sandals, or clip in for a hard workout with my mtb shoes. Just wondering whether anyone else is doing this with their hybrid.

CarloM 07-03-19 02:06 PM

I definitely went this route, at the recommendation of my LBS. I had never ridden with cleats before (this was my first time cycling since I was a teen) and he had me test them out on a store bike. After a brief adjustment period I really liked them, especially the efficiency gains of being able to use the whole pedal stroke for both feet rather than just the down stroke on each foot.

But I also wanted to be able to let friends ride the bike too, so I went with some Shimano dual sided pedals and haven't regretted the decision. Also when I want to just bike somewhere and have to lug an extra pair of shoes, I also sometimes use the platform side.

Now that I've been bitten by the cycling bug, when I buy my next bike, which will probably be a road/drop down handlebar bike, I'll probably put clipless-only pedals on that one.

KenCT 07-03-19 02:52 PM

Between my mid fat bike and hybrid I’m usually swapping pedals between Shimano SPD, Shimano dual platform, and Chester Race Face. Depends where and how I’m planning to ride.

AU Tiger 07-03-19 07:07 PM

I have this type of pedal on both of my bikes (a gravel/hybrid bike and a mountain bike), and I'm very pleased with them.

canklecat 07-04-19 02:27 AM

I'm considering the hybrid clipless/platform pedals for one of my hybrids. Just trying to decide between Shimano type SPD or Crank Brothers style. Issi has an interesting looking clipless/platform pedal too.

I prefer platforms for city riding, with lots of stop and go and some unexpected evasive maneuvers and panic stops. But many of our group rides are in areas where I'd be comfortable clipping in, including on gravel. Foot retention makes it s a little easier to keep the foot in the sweet spot on some chipseal and gravel roads.

Main advantage I've found to foot retention isn't speed or power but stamina and comfort on longer rides. I tend to get cramps in my feet arches, calves, quads and hamstrings beyond 30 miles or so. Foot retention smooths out my pedal stroke, recruits more muscles and reduces muscle fatigue and cramps. But checking my Strava data over time, I'm not really any faster with foot retention on my road bikes than I am when using platforms on the same bikes.

Jarrettsin 07-04-19 05:15 AM

It's the perfect pedal type for a hybrid :)

rumrunn6 07-04-19 06:20 AM

I've brought my road bike on family trips but also my hybrid & mountain bike. got a family trip coming up & trying to decide again what to do.leaning toward a hybrid but I have to throw a rack on it so I can bring my share of beach supplies. when I brought the road bike I did go out for a ride alone but I had to get up early so it wouldn't interfere w/ time together. I was into fishing for a year & tried fishing w the family but I learned for me it's better to spend time w/ family when I'm spending time w/ family. I can ride alone when I'm not with them

Hasselhof 07-04-19 06:32 AM

I use Crankbros doubleshot 2's on my bike. They don't have particularly good reviews online, but I love them. On the flat pedal side they have plastic moldings rather than the metal pins on the 3's and as a result aren't great for grip on an MTB trail, but for mostly road and urban environments they are just fine.

I had come from standard eggbeaters which I prefer, the doubleshots are significantly harder to clip into, but once you're clipped in they are excellent.

ilanshanon 07-04-19 07:03 AM

Interesting. I also find it hard to just go out alone on a ride, when the choice is being with the family or being alone.