Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   How much do components add to the value of a bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182239)

Gashepherd 08-27-19 12:56 PM

How much do components add to the value of a bike?

So, I was scanning the local classifieds and ran across this 1984 Fuji Espree listed for $975, so of course I had to check it out it is an absolutely beautiful bike but everything I found online was around $75-$250, so I guess my question is how much does campagnolo components add to the value of a bike. Here is his list of components
"Frame: 61cm Steel Tri-Butted Tubing
Crank: Campagnolo Chorus 170mm
Chainrings: Campagnolo Brev
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo 980
Cassette: Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus
Shifters: Campagnolo Syncro II C-Record
Brake Levers: Dia Compe 152
Brakes: Tektro R539 Long Reach w/ Kool Stop Pads
Stem: Nitto
Handlebars: Nitto Olympiade 114
Rear Wheel: Mavic Open Pro w/ Continental Gran Prix 4000s II
Front Wheel Mavic Reflex w/ Continental Gran Prix 4000s II
Front Hub: Campagnolo Record
Rear Hub: Campagnolo Chorus
Seatpost: Kalloy Laprade
Saddle: Selle Italia XO Flow"
Is all of this worth $700https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fbba753866.jpg

BFisher 08-27-19 01:02 PM

Depends on the buyer, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near the asking price for that bike.

Last ride 76 08-27-19 01:06 PM

That mix, on that bike, almost nothing. The bike is very pretty, but I wouldn't pay even near half the ask.. Admittedly I am ignorant about Fuji bikes, but still that's nuts.

Last ride 76 08-27-19 01:07 PM

belongs in appraisals, btw

malcala622 08-27-19 01:14 PM

For 700 bucks you can build a far superior bike than the Fuji.

Gashepherd 08-27-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Last ride 76 (Post 21095009)
belongs in appraisals, btw

Sorry, but I'm just after some schoolin, not asking for an appraisal, and I don't think that there is any better place for schoolin than you all

Drillium Dude 08-27-19 01:21 PM

Typical novice mistake (not the OP, but the person who put the bike together), starting with a lump of a frame and attaching nice components.

OP: if you're looking for a bike, look for a quality frame at the center of the build - you can always change out/upgrade components. To answer your specific question: components only add real value to a bike if they're hung on a well-made, quality frame.

DD

Gashepherd 08-27-19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 21095031)
Typical novice mistake (not the OP, but the person who put the bike together), starting with a lump of a frame and attaching nice components.

OP: if you're looking for a bike, look for a quality frame at the center of the build - you can always change out/upgrade components. To answer your specific question: components only add real value to a bike if they're hung on a well-made, quality frame.

DD

So,the whole lipstick on a pig comes to mind

madpogue 08-27-19 01:39 PM

I wouldn't call that frame a "lump", but the components (for the most part) definitely deserve a better host. So the real question is -- can you find a better frame, in your size, that would be appropriate for (and compatible with) the components on this bike, transfer everything, sell off the Espree frame (which won't get you much), and will THAT bike be worth the investment of both time and money?

Okay, that's two questions.....

As for "schoolin", it's pretty much the same crowd that hangs out in the appraisals section as here. Just more of a forum guideline, when you need to ask "how much is X worth", it's better to post there.

Drillium Dude 08-27-19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gashepherd (Post 21095037)

Exactly :)

Buying used is tough sometimes when knowledge is thin. As others have noted, however, we do have a thread for appraisals; there are people that check in there that are super-knowledgeable about every different kind of bike there is. I bet if you posted it there, someone would give you an accurate value the way it currently stands.

What's It Worth?

DD

Last ride 76 08-27-19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gashepherd (Post 21095037)

You might say that, but the mash-up of parts also reduces the over all value.

*** But DANG, that seller takes one heck of a photograph! Serious skill there.

Last ride 76 08-27-19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21095059)
I wouldn't call that frame a "lump", but the components (for the most part) definitely deserve a better host. So the real question is -- can you find a better frame, in your size, that would be appropriate for (and compatible with) the components on this bike, transfer everything, sell off the Espree frame (which won't get you much), and will THAT bike be worth the investment of both time and money?

Okay, that's two questions.....

As for "schoolin", it's pretty much the same crowd that hangs out in the appraisals section as here. Just more of a forum guideline, when you need to ask "how much is X worth", it's better to post there.

Not a chance.

ryansu 08-27-19 02:19 PM

that is a silly price it has no basis in reality. IMHO. Its not the top of the line, it looks like a repaint people do seem to be willing to pay lots for campy stuff but that appears to be a mishmash of entry level to higher end stuff. I might bite for $200 or less if I had a firm grasp of the campy parts market on ebay but you could do a lot better for $700 I think.

Gashepherd 08-27-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21095059)

Again, I apologize, I was lucky to get the post into the vintage bike section, I don't maneuver on my phone very well and usually someone comes along and redirects me and my posts

Gashepherd 08-27-19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Last ride 76 (Post 21095101)
*** But DANG, that seller takes one heck of a photograph! Serious skill there.

I would have to agree with you there, I have a hard enough time just getting the bikes to stand up with no kickstand

Wildwood 08-27-19 02:33 PM

The components are a hodgepodge.
Mismatched hubs & rims
Front derailleur = low end
DiaCompe levers
Tektro brakes
Laprade post

I would say almost zero added value from components.

It might ride nice, but asking is 3X market value.

sheddle 08-27-19 02:36 PM

A higher end Japanese Tange 1 frame with that stuff on it might be worth it but IIRC that's a basic low-end Fuji frame.

Generally pantographed components add value, and anything that's original or otherwise difficult to get.

One thing I will say- if that was a Campy freewheel and not a cassette, that would almost be worth it alone because of the absurd prices old Campagnolo freewheels and cogs go for on eBay, but freehub cassettes aren't really that expensive.

SurferRosa 08-27-19 04:01 PM

To me, the lower-level frameset is nearly worthless, and the upgraded components -- even the strange hodgepodge that they are -- make the build attractive.

But i'm talking like $200, total.

T-Mar 08-27-19 04:33 PM

In a case where a frame is seriously over-dressed (i.e. the components are much higher level than the frame), the value is effectively that of the components.

In a case where the frame is seriously under-dressed (i.e junk components on a high grade frameset), the value is effectively that of the frame.

Obviously there is a lot of room in between these extremes, where the components do add some value. In this case, the mismatched brands, eras and levels of components don't help. Worse yet, are the band-aids necessary to make things fit the frame (i.e. putting a claw hanger on the derailleur, adopting the Syncro levers to a clamp). Potential buyers will tend to focus on what they use, offering an appropriate amount for those parts plus what they know they can sell and maybe adding a small amount on top for the remainder and the frame.

As for the photo, it is well lit but the resolution is poor, so I wouldn't call it a good photo. If I hadn't been told the components, I would be hard pressed to have identified anything beyond the crankset and the I would immediately have passed this over based on the claw hanger and clamp style shift levers.

Gashepherd 08-27-19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21095322)
In a case where a frame is seriously over-dressed (i.e. the components are much higher level than the frame), the value is effectively that of the components.

In a case where the frame is seriously under-dressed (i.e junk components on a high grade frameset), the value is effectively that of the frame.

Obviously there is a lot of room in between these extremes, where the components do add some value. In this case, the mismatched brands, eras and levels of components don't help. Worse yet, are the band-aids necessary to make things fit the frame (i.e. putting a claw hanger on the derailleur, adopting the Syncro levers to a clamp). Potential buyers will tend to focus on what they use, offering an appropriate amount for those parts plus what they know they can sell and maybe adding a small amount on top for the remainder and the frame.

As for the photo, it is well lit but the resolution is poor, so I wouldn't call it a good photo. If I hadn't been told the components, I would be hard pressed to have identified anything beyond the crankset and the I would immediately have passed this over based on the claw hanger and clamp style shift levers.

There were more component photos i just didn't want to take up too much space

mpetry912 08-27-19 07:22 PM

Campagnolo record cassette on DT shifters ? it's a lashup.

Question I feel you should need to ask yourself is - do you like the bike ? Does it fit ? will you still like it in a year ?

Everybody's taste is different. There are a few on here who have really beautiful bikes, exactly correct in every detail, shined to perfection. Mine are "resto-mods" with some updates that are functional but in reasonably good taste. Others are serious modders. But here's the thing - the frame and the fit are key ! if that's not right, then the parts pick is meaningless. If you are new to the vintage bike game, a Raleigh International is a great entry point and I have seen very nice frames go for 500 buck on ebay.

I think the consensus here is that this bike is a pass at asking price.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

cb400bill 08-27-19 07:28 PM

Thread moved to C&V Appraisals.

Gashepherd 08-27-19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 21095548)
Campagnolo record cassette on DT shifters ? it's a lashup.

Question I feel you should need to ask yourself is - do you like the bike ? Does it fit ? will you still like it in a year ?

Everybody's taste is different. There are a few on here who have really beautiful bikes, exactly correct in every detail, shined to perfection. Mine are "resto-mods" with some updates that are functional but in reasonably good taste. Others are serious modders. But here's the thing - the frame and the fit are key ! if that's not right, then the parts pick is meaningless. If you are new to the vintage bike game, a Raleigh International is a great entry point and I have seen very nice frames go for 500 buck on ebay.

I think the consensus here is that this bike is a pass at asking price.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Honestly, I was never interested in buying the bike, just trying to figure out if the higher end components would actually add that much value. The truth is that I'm only 5'7" so it's a lot too big for me, but I do appreciate everybody's input.

xiaoman1 08-27-19 08:53 PM

Not that much!!!:eek:
Ben

nesteel 08-28-19 10:50 PM

It all boils down the inverse law of assembled bike value.