Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179955)

rodey 08-01-19 08:43 AM

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike for various reasons. I don't dislike the bike I have (2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105), but I want to upgrade and have been saving up for awhile. Getting a good new bike instead of spending on new wheels and new groupset just seems to make sense, especially since I'm not too fond of my paint job.

Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero. Or does it even matter? I know that GCN has covered the topic and there have been countless of other places that have, as well, but I'd like a little more advice.

I live in Wisconsin. Some of my rides cover parts of the Ironman course we host, which is said to be one of the tougher ones.

More about my rides: I'm trying to get back into top shape, but typically around 30-50 miles. Right now my standard routes are covering about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain according to Strava, and I typically average around 18-18.3 mph. When I have more time and can get further west, we're talking 1000-3000 feet of elevation gain. Mostly short, steepish hills, with some longer ones out there.

Should also note that I usually ride solo, occasionally in groups. Also sometimes do sportives. I don't race, but like to push myself to go as fast as possible/act like I'm competing.

So, what would you do if you were me: go lightweight or more aero? Does it even matter? I'm currently eyeing either a 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc or 2019 Orbea Orca Aero. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not overly fond of Trek and Specialized, which are the big sellers around here.

Just looking for input/advice. Thanks in advance!

TrojanHorse 08-01-19 09:20 AM

Probably Aero. Fit and comfort trump marketing slogans though.

AlmostTrick 08-01-19 09:30 AM

After tending to fit/comfort, I wonder if the minute differences in weight and aero would even be noticeable. :foo:

Marcus_Ti 08-01-19 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21054835)
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike for various reasons. I don't dislike the bike I have (2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105), but I want to upgrade and have been saving up for awhile. Getting a good new bike instead of spending on new wheels and new groupset just seems to make sense, especially since I'm not too fond of my paint job.

Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero. Or does it even matter? I know that GCN has covered the topic and there have been countless of other places that have, as well, but I'd like a little more advice.

I live in Wisconsin. Some of my rides cover parts of the Ironman course we host, which is said to be one of the tougher ones.

More about my rides: I'm trying to get back into top shape, but typically around 30-50 miles. Right now my standard routes are covering about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain according to Strava, and I typically average around 18-18.3 mph. When I have more time and can get further west, we're talking 1000-3000 feet of elevation gain. Mostly short, steepish hills, with some longer ones out there.

Should also note that I usually ride solo, occasionally in groups. Also sometimes do sportives. I don't race, but like to push myself to go as fast as possible/act like I'm competing.

So, what would you do if you were me: go lightweight or more aero? Does it even matter? I'm currently eyeing either a 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc or 2019 Orbea Orca Aero. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not overly fond of Trek and Specialized, which are the big sellers around here.

Just looking for input/advice. Thanks in advance!

Unless you're racing...it doesn't really matter.

A new bike or new wheels probably won't make you meaningfully faster....they might get you to ride more, which could make you faster.

Steve B. 08-01-19 09:38 AM

I would think a lighter bike would be more noticeable. Especially if it's in the wheels as the effort to get up to speed will be felt.

Aero not so much as you need to be at higher speeds before the sero benefits results in less effort.

Wittyname 08-01-19 09:44 AM

The aero bike will almost certainly be the faster one over most of your riding, but only by a few watts. Are you able to test ride the bikes you're considering buying? It's possible you may love one and dislike the other, making it a moot point

rodey 08-01-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wittyname (Post 21054943)
The aero bike will almost certainly be the faster one over most of your riding, but only by a few watts. Are you able to test ride the bikes you're considering buying? It's possible you may love one and dislike the other, making it a moot point

I am, which I will most certainly do. I will say that comfort obviously plays a bit of a role, too, and I'd imagine the lightweight one would be a little bit more comfortable. Just didn't know if there was any inherent benefit to choosing one or the other when it comes to the type of riding I do, especially since the lines are kind of becoming blurred between aero and lightweight.

TimothyH 08-01-19 10:13 AM

Why not both aero and light weight?

Why does it have to be one or the other and how light is light?

-Tim-

Seattle Forrest 08-01-19 10:42 AM

If you're averaging 18+ you're allowed an aero frame.

Are you keeping our selling the one you have? Which is another way of asking whether you should get one to fill out your fleet.

79pmooney 08-01-19 10:50 AM

Like other said - fit. All else is far secondary. Next - how fast are you? Until you are riding in the 20 mph range, aero means very little. Over 25 mph it is real. At 30 mph it is huge. Weight counts only on hills and only as a percentage of your entire weight. I weigh 155 pounds. That's 175 pounds even with a super light bike. (Remember - clothes. helmet, shoes, water bottles, tool bag.) 5 pounds saved while riding up a 25% grade will be a 3% advantage. (Since we are talking of a near 15 pound bike, that 5 pounds can only be had at probably a cost of $1/gram = $2300.)

Now, if you race, very light wheels make a very real difference as they take the sting out of the dozens of accelerations you have to make to stay with the group and maintain position. But don't sweat this now. Get the bike, then get some tubular race wheels for race days only.

Again - fit rules. Always.

Ben

ldmataya 08-01-19 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forums. I regularly ride the roads you are talking about (Mount Horeb, Blue Mounds, New Glarus, Barneveld, Mineral Point). All modern bikes are light, but a bike that fits and that I am comfortable on, especially going up AND down steep hills, is most important to me. These roads have a lot of chip seal, and after a rain you never know what has washed into some spots, so the bike I mostly use handles very predictably and I make sure it has brake pads that are solid and quiet. If I ever replaced this bike with something modern, I would definitely go with disc brakes. You've probably already noticed how many of these steep downhills end at a stop sign. The bottom of Scherbel Road at Highway 14 is a notorious spot where people regularly misjudge the steepness and lock up or dump their bikes at the bottom.

rodey 08-01-19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21055010)
Why not both aero and light weight?

Why does it have to be one or the other and how light is light?

-Tim-

It has to be one or the other because there's no way I'm convincing my fiance-to-be I need two bikes. :lol:

The light bike I'm looking at is an Argon 18 Gallium Disc. A medium sized (I'd need an XL) is quoted at 1,341g for frame and fork. The shop I'd be getting it from has it equipped with an Ultegra groupset and Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21055054)
If you're averaging 18+ you're allowed an aero frame.

Are you keeping our selling the one you have? Which is another way of asking whether you should get one to fill out your fleet.

I'd be selling the one I have. Hard for me to currently justify two bikes. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21055067)
Like other said - fit. All else is far secondary. Next - how fast are you? Until you are riding in the 20 mph range, aero means very little. Over 25 mph it is real. At 30 mph it is huge. Weight counts only on hills and only as a percentage of your entire weight. I weigh 155 pounds. That's 175 pounds even with a super light bike. (Remember - clothes. helmet, shoes, water bottles, tool bag.) 5 pounds saved while riding up a 25% grade will be a 3% advantage. (Since we are talking of a near 15 pound bike, that 5 pounds can only be had at probably a cost of $1/gram = $2300.)

Now, if you race, very light wheels make a very real difference as they take the sting out of the dozens of accelerations you have to make to stay with the group and maintain position. But don't sweat this now. Get the bike, then get some tubular race wheels for race days only.

Again - fit rules. Always.

Ben

I'm averaging 18 mph right now, and at 6'3", 185 pounds, not on the light side due to not really being on a strict nutrition plan and enjoying too much beer.

Originally Posted by ldmataya (Post 21055102)
Welcome to the forums. I regularly ride the roads you are talking about (Mount Horeb, Blue Mounds, New Glarus, Barneveld, Mineral Point). All modern bikes are light, but a bike that fits and that I am comfortable on, especially going up AND down steep hills, is most important to me. These roads have a lot of chip seal, and after a rain you never know what has washed into some spots, so the bike I mostly use handles very predictably and I make sure it has brake pads that are solid and quiet. If I ever replaced this bike with something modern, I would definitely go with disc brakes. You've probably already noticed how many of these steep downhills end at a stop sign. The bottom of Scherbel Road at Highway 14 is a notorious spot where people regularly misjudge the steepness and lock up or dump their bikes at the bottom.

Yep, those are the roads! Comfort is definitely part of my consideration. I'm pretty comfortable on my current bike, and have never really even thought about getting something aero until recently. I do definitely want to get disc brakes as well. I have rim brakes right now, but I've definitely misjudged on some of the roads around here before.

dmanthree 08-01-19 11:39 AM

Depends where you live. Vermont? Light weight. Florida? Aero.

colnago62 08-01-19 11:43 AM

I have a Domane and a Madone. I can tell the difference between the two when riding. The Domane is about 3 lbs heavier than the Madone.

Dean V 08-01-19 01:02 PM

Either bike will be heavier than what you have. Disc brake bikes are bricks unless you spend a lot of money.
What is the weight difference between the 2 bikes you are looking at anyway?

rodey 08-01-19 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dean V (Post 21055283)
Either bike will be heavier than what you have. Disc brake bikes are bricks unless you spend a lot of money.
What is the weight difference between the 2 bikes you are looking at anyway?

Bike Radar did a review for the Orbea Orca Aero M20 Team, 57cm, full Ultegra and it came in at 17.1 lbs with rim brakes. I can't find weight for the Argon 18 Gallium Disc (non-Pro model) other than frame and fork, which was quoted at 1,341 grams. The one I'm personally looking at comes full Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and disc brakes.

My current bike was quoted at 18.34 pounds by Bike Radar.

topflightpro 08-01-19 02:35 PM

Aero trumps weight unless you're spending a lot of time climbing. It doesn't sound like you are doing a lot of climbing, so I say go aero.

rubiksoval 08-01-19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21054932)
I would think a lighter bike would be more noticeable. Especially if it's in the wheels as the effort to get up to speed will be felt.

Aero not so much as you need to be at higher speeds before the sero benefits results in less effort.

Completely false. The slower you go, the more overall time savings you get from aero equipment.

rubiksoval 08-01-19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21055147)
It has to be one or the other because there's no way I'm convincing my fiance-to-be I need two bikes. :lol:

There are aero, light bikes. You don't have to choose between one or the other.

The bike you listed as a "light" bike isn't really that light. That's a half lb heavier than my "light" Chinese frame/fork.

rodey 08-01-19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21055422)
There are aero, light bikes. You don't have to choose between one or the other.

The bike you listed as a "light" bike isn't really that light. That's a half lb heavier than my "light" Chinese frame/fork.

It was on a list of lighter ones I saw within my budget. At $3800, it's in my upper range. I can't spend more than that.

RedBullFiXX 08-01-19 02:59 PM

I picked up one of these for $3k
It's a good start, can always shave weight with the $'s you're saving
And yes, they are in stock
Canyon Aeroad
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e272e5e4ae.png

seau grateau 08-01-19 03:35 PM

The one you like better.

TimothyH 08-01-19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21055147)

The light bike I'm looking at is an Argon 18 Gallium Disc. A medium sized (I'd need an XL) is quoted at 1,341g for frame and fork. The shop I'd be getting it from has it equipped with an Ultegra groupset and Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

I'd ride the crap out of an Argon 18 Gallium. A guy near me has one with Bora wheels and EPS. They would shut down the hot or not thread if he posted it.

My question really is, whether there is an aero bike light enough for you to consider it light. If so, then it is a win/win.

-Tim-

horatio 08-01-19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX (Post 21055455)
I picked up one of these for $3k
It's a good start, can always shave weight with the $'s you're saving
And yes, they are in stock
Canyon Aeroad
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e272e5e4ae.png

I've been drooling over those bikes. How do you like yours so far?

RedBullFiXX 08-01-19 04:07 PM

I picked up the Movistar edition
Rides smooth, not just for an Aero bike, but compared to any nice bike
The stack is very aggressive, but that's what you want in an Aero bike
Room for 28+ tires
It's pretty badass :thumb:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...89f6f1f86a.png