Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Lemond Zurich (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182895)

Mdl 09-04-19 04:36 AM

Lemond Zurich

Hi,
I’d appreciate any advice as to whether this Lemond Zurich bike is worth the $560 asking price.

I was looking at Bicycle Blue Book and thinking it’s maybe either a 1996 or 1997?

Incidentally, there was another Zurich, which appeared identical (same bar tape too) but listed as a 54cm (instead of 53cm) and for $360, a few miles away. The seller pulled down the listing before I could call.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e4ba0a0fb.png

Thanks!

nomadmax 09-04-19 05:41 AM

I think more knowledgeable people will chime in but according to me, that's too much for a Trek Lemond. I'd be at $300.00 or so if the components and tires were rideable, less if they weren't. For the record, I'm a huge Lemond fan but the only way I'd pay that is if HE sold it to me;)

Mdl 09-04-19 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21107056)
I think more knowledgeable people will chime in but according to me, that's too much for a Trek Lemond. I'd be at $300.00 or so if the components and tires were rideable, less if they weren't. For the record, I'm a huge Lemond fan but the only way I'd pay that is if HE sold it to me;)

HAHAHA 😂!!! Exactly. I’ll let it bake a while. 😉
thanks!

Mdl 09-04-19 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21107056)

HAHAHA 😂!!! Exactly. I’ll let it bake a while. 😉
thanks!

shelbyfv 09-04-19 06:30 AM

Nicer color than many of them. That one may be lightly used, nobody has ridden bars set like that in over 20 years;)

GrainBrain 09-04-19 06:33 AM

Looks just like mine, it's a 96. I paid $250 and it was nearly all original but I put new tires and cables on. I'd try $300 for it if decent. Be wary of the longer top tube.

Also the stem and bars aren't original, should be cinelli.

KonAaron Snake 09-04-19 06:40 AM

I paid 600 for one...but it was for my ex, and we wanted to get her a bike. It was a fantastic bike that she loved, so I think 500-550 is about right. I sold hers for 500 about two years later. The estimates above are very off IMO, even in a down market. Plenty of people know how nicely Lemonds ride, and 853 was great stuff. Anything under $550 is a solid buy IMO.

GrainBrain 09-04-19 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 21107130)
I paid 600 for one...but it was for my ex, and we wanted to get her a bike. It was a fantastic bike that she loved, so I think 500-550 is about right. I sold hers for 500 about two years later. The estimates above are very off IMO, even in a down market. Plenty of people know how nicely Lemonds ride, and 853 was great stuff. Anything under $550 is a solid buy IMO.

Can't argue with this. When I got mine I just happened to see it posted at 10pm and inquired, got a reply at 11pm and said I'd buy it. It was posted for $250. I picked up then took it to my LBS for a tune-up (before I knew much about bikes). The guys seemed pretty jealous. I ended up spending another $250 on tires/tune-up.

KonAaron Snake 09-04-19 06:55 AM

The other thing to consider is that bike prices have a lot to do with location...this one is in Brooklyn...buying one in Iowa isn't exactly apples-apples.

Mdl 09-04-19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 21107150)
The other thing to consider is that bike prices have a lot to do with location...this one is in Brooklyn...buying one in Iowa isn't exactly apples-apples.

Right. The market for everything is out of control there.

Mdl 09-04-19 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 21107150)

Right. The market for everything is out of control there.

xiaoman1 09-04-19 10:11 AM

Priced too high for the Los Angeles market...there are loads of them out here in the 400.00 range languishing for quite a while, asking is different from selling.
If I even considered the sellers asking price, I would put an offer in on for this one instead.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...970900026.html
I would wait there will be others out there.
Good Luck, Ben

Last ride 76 09-04-19 06:41 PM

Around NYC, the 853 Lemond Zurich or Maillot Jaune with Rolfe wheels is a solid $500 bike in good condition, easily up to $600 if lightly used. I would deduct a little for the wheels maybe, and for being post Labor Day (apt space is at such a premium). I doubt it would go under $450-$475 unless "leaving town for good, next week" type sale. And then its still $400+

PS They are fetching enough that I thought I might sell mine, to thin the herd,:rolleyes: and so I rode it a few days in a row. Not for sale:thumb: I'll sell something else.

alexihnen 09-20-19 10:32 PM

I've come across a couple really nice LeMonds in the Cincinnati area lately - though titanium and carbon/853 spline, not 853. The 853s seem to be the most in demand, but full Ultegra rides can pop up for ~$500. Always on the lookout.

Mr. 66 09-21-19 11:28 AM

I sold my '99 Zurich frame fork, hs, bb for $80.

ctak 09-25-19 04:25 AM

From 2001 onward, Lemond's Zurich and MJ models featured Reynolds 853 Pro with biaxial, ovalized tubing. All else basically equal, fitted with 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires, my '02 Maillot Jaune felt less prone to flex than my M.U.S.A. '99 Zurich - at least when climbing out of the saddle or during moments of increased power output.

Browsing "sold" eBay auctions reveals a number of ~$500 transactions for 853 Pro models with all or mostly original parts. I sourced mine via CL around this price. Be sure to check for internal rust and/or dents.

Good luck with your hunt.

xiaoman1 09-25-19 07:22 PM

so did you buy it?

Retrogrouch731 09-29-19 06:47 PM

It is a nice bike overall but the asking price is a bit high, better bikes can be had for the same price or even less if you are patient. $350-450 is more in line with what it is worth in the current market.

zukahn1 09-29-19 07:59 PM

I would say a bit high but OK for the market if the DR's shifter's and gears all work nice and look good and the wheels and tires are nice. Problem with this era bike is that half the time either the drive train or wheel set is trashed so check everything closely at this price.

McBTC 10-04-19 05:28 PM

If it fits I'd say absolutely... 853 is magic and I'm sure old school Ultegra is just as good as my modern 105. I essentially sold my old bicentennial Zurich for about what I bought it for and I'd pay up to get it back. Mine came with triple rings tho... otherwise, it'd be geared too low for me

delbiker1 10-04-19 07:23 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...378240afdf.jpg
Not a Zurich, but I recently bought a 2003 Poprad that is in great shape, far from original. All Sora components upgraded to Ultegra 6500, including the wheels with Mavic Open Pro/ Ultegra hubs. It had been powder coated last year and new decals from Velocal.com. I have switched handlebars from Ritchey Logic 11 to Zipp compact, and the stem from Ritchey Axis 4 to Easton EA90. I have new chain rings ordered as the rings are a bit beat up. Also ordered a new cassette, 6500 12/27, just to get a bit lower gear from the 12/25. Also it was on sale for $42. I just installed a new chain, the one it came with was too short, so I just replaced it. The frame is 853 and I paid $500. I think it was a good deal and did not try to haggle. I am very happy with the bike, it has a wonderful ride. One more thing, not in the picture. I bought a used/like new Brooks B17, my first ever Brooks, and mounted and rode it today. Pretty damn comfortable.

mauricio545 09-20-20 04:14 PM

Lemond

Originally Posted by Last ride 76 (Post 21108387)
Around NYC, the 853 Lemond Zurich or Maillot Jaune with Rolfe wheels is a solid $500 bike in good condition, easily up to $600 if lightly used. I would deduct a little for the wheels maybe, and for being post Labor Day (apt space is at such a premium). I doubt it would go under $450-$475 unless "leaving town for good, next week" type sale. And then its still $400+

PS They are fetching enough that I thought I might sell mine, to thin the herd,:rolleyes: and so I rode it a few days in a row. Not for sale:thumb: I'll sell something else.

This is a funny statement!! I wish the site had an emoji with a Like button.

zukahn1 09-20-20 08:17 PM

There is a like button in the right corner of every post and if you click the smiley face in the middle of the option bar there are a bunch of default emoji's.
:lol::love::twitchy::commute: